Question

gazellefeet

I was denied for a credit card based on bad repayment history. How can I improve my situation?
A bit of a backstory...
In 2007, when I was 18, my mom opened a Chase credit card in my name to pay for college textbooks. At the time I don't think I knew it was a credit card, or maybe I just didn't understand the implications, but she told me she was going to be the one making payments. I wish she would have put it in her name in hindsight, because just now after applying for a Chase Freedom card (CK said my chances were Very Good), I learned I was denied basically because of her lack of on time payments. I viewed a report of the card's history, and it's pretty bad.

I have never had a personal credit card otherwise, and I'm trying to raise my score. My payment history is pretty flawless (well not according to the credit bureaus obviously). I've never missed a payment on any loans and my score is okay (around 675), but I wanted a card for emergencies and to just bump up my score even more.

My question is, are there steps I can be taking to improve this situation? What cards should I apply for in the future? I'm worried no one is going to approve me now, and I'm pretty bummed because Chase is my personal bank but I'm sure my chances are shot with them.