3.8
from Credit Karma members in the last year

Jan 14 2017
Great to help build credit!

I applied for this card with a score of 560 in Feb 2016 and was approved with a minimum deposit of $99. I made a $100 deposit and they gave me a limit of $201. I use this for small purchases here and there (Birchbox subscription, gas, fast food) and paid more than my minimum payment every month, usually I would pay the entire balance. I logged in this evening to pay my balance of $43 and now my credit limit says $501! So in 11 months they upped me $300. More importantly, in 11 months my credit score has gone from a 560 to a 682 and I was approved for a Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards card with a $4,000 limit!?

Nov 09 2015
Great for building credit

This card was extremely helpful in helping me to restore my good credit. You all know all the basic stuff to do to get your scores higher and keep them there. So I won't get into any of that. Whatever you do, though, don't feel that you need to put a huge deposit into this card to have a huge available credit, for a better score. That won't matter very much. I wouldn't do more than a couple of hundred bucks and that's it. That way the whole account is easier to keep up with, and it won't let you do crazy stuff to get yourself into a credit problem. Just remember this: Capital One WILL NOT ever, never, ever return your security deposit until you close your account, which is the only way to get the deposit back. They will give you small increases to your credit limit, but nothing that will make you smile. Now, having said that the only way to recover your deposit (if it's a small one, just let it sit there until the Rapture...and beyond) is to close your account, just keep this card for only one year, then if your credit score has climbed up to Fair or better, apply for an unsecured card and close this one, assuming you get the new card. Then go on from there, primarily keeping utilization at or below 20%. Do not secure this card with more than a couple hundred bucks because you're never getting it back! At least for as long as you have this account open.

Mar 16 2017
?

i applied for this card like 6 months ago i was referred to it by a friend. well i indeed got denied for the card. i lost hope my score was a very low 500 ,im only 27 i messed my credit up by not caring and not understanding how important it was. i went to discover and i was approved instantly had to put a 200 deposit down but its worth it to rebuild my credit.

love this card

this card will build your credit but can also make it even worse. if you are planning on applying for this card then do it! when it comes in the mail just cut it up. dont use it all. it is good for an emergency but if you dont have the funds to pay in full then it starts to hurt your score. be smart with it and it will build your credit!

Mar 15 2017
The most terrible credit card on Earth.

Capital One is full of subtle scams. For one, this card's security deposit took them over half a year to return it to me! Pathetic. Every time I would call, they would say that it would only be one more month until they sent the check. They did this over 6 times, because I would call several times a month (and I have the recorded calls as proof). Rewinding to the actual card experience, the customer service was nearly always unbearably incoherent. The account was closed upon my request, and I have the letter to prove it, however - they left on my report that it was "canceled by grantor." Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?! The balance was not consistently updated on my credit report, either. Combine all of this with high interest rates, high fees, no automatic conversion to unsecured, no rewards, and a clunky web experience - It's no wonder hundreds of my acquaintances have left Capital One within the past few years. I will not be back unless there is new management and huge changes in policy - including American customer support.

Excellent Credit Card to improve credit

The best card i have ever had to help me improve my credit score.

Mar 15 2017
It's a great card to help rebuild credit

The interest rate is a high but if you have no credit or you messed up your credit don't complain, if your responsible enough and you make all your payments on time you will be rewarded. I just want to thank capital one personally for giving me another chance

No. Just no.

Sorry in advance for this long review. I just want to start off by saying that I don't think I've ever one starred anything, but my experience with capital one has been ridiculous. 6 months ago, my credit was garbage. I never cared about credit because I messed mine up 10 years ago and thought I'd never be able to dig myself out of the hole I'd created. But I finally realized that I need to start somewhere and start adulting when it comes to credit. ? I started out with a Fingerhut card, a Credit One card, and a secured Capital One credit card. Not the greatest cards but when your credit is ****, you have to start somewhere. My long term goals were to phase these cards out completely as soon as possible. ? Fast forward 6 months, my credit is around 640. Still not great but a lot better than the low 500s I started with. I finally got the courage to start applying for better cards. I applied for a couple store cards and got approved. Exciting, right? So I'm thinking, Hey, let's try Discover. Maybe I'm to the point where I'm ready to upgrade. BAM! Instantly approved for $1700. I'm ecstatic at this point since my goals are to have 2-3 regular credit cards and a card or two from department stores. (I've researched and researched these past 6 months so I'm pretty knowledgeable of how to establish credit.) ? So I'm thinking, Hey, since I've already taken the hit, let me go ahead and upgrade my Capital One card. I wanted to get all my cards together that I plan on keeping long term and let them age together. I applied and was denied. Ok, no big deal. So I get the denial email today. I was denied because of a pending application. Except I don't have a pending application. It's been 6 months since I applied for the secured card (which by the way has had a low utilization and no late payments). ? I decided to call the Backdoor number and see what was going on. I was told that it has to be 6 months between applications. I explained to her that it had been. She then tells me that I have to wait another 6 months after this most recent application. So I have to wait a year now to upgrade cards? After I just got approved for the other cards? I wouldn't be upset at all if my credit wasn't good enough or they had a good reason. But I get denied for a silly reason for a pending application and it's not pending!? ? I had planned on being a long term Capital One customer, but not at this point. If I can get approved for Discover, then I have no reason to try anymore or fight with them to get approved for one of their lower end cards. Btw, 10 minutes after this conversation, I applied for a Chase Freedom card and was approved for $1000. It has rewards and is a better card overall so it's no loss to me. I have the cards I want now and plan on phasing out my secured Capital One card. ? I also wanted to add that if you're frustrated and trying to fix your credit, it can be done. 6 months ago, I had nothing but negatives on my credit report except for a car loan I cosigned on last May that has had perfect payment history and now I'm getting approved for Discover cards and Chase cards, both with rewards. Be patient and do your due diligence with research and how to fix your credit. Read reviews, and TONS of them before you ever apply for anything. And don't go crazy applying for stuff. Tons of inquiries look bad to creditors. Don't know where to start? Try Fingerhut. They approve pretty much everyone. Just remember they're overpriced and use that card sparingly. Only enough to get a good payment history and get things rolling on your end. Be patient and work hard. It can be done!

Don't get your hopes up

If you are currently in the middle of a bankruptcy (I filed Chapter 13 - 1 1/2 yrs ago) & unemployed or disabled, don't bother applying. ?I was denied within seconds of applying even though my credit score avg is 650 & Credit Karma said I had a "Good " chance. ?So now my already low score is even lower. ?Thx for nothing CK.

Great Card

After having the card for 11 mouths they just refunded my security deposit thanks capital one

Mar 14 2017
Again, I was not approved. What's new?

If you are currently in the middle of a bankruptcy (I filed Chapter 13 - 1 1/2 yrs ago) & unemployed or disabled, don't bother applying. Even though Credit Karma said I had a "Good" chance of being approved with a fair credit score of 650, I was denied. ?Not surprised but it irks me that my already low credit score just took another hit after applying for a card I can't have. ?Thanks for nothing CK.

Mar 14 2017
Does what it is supposed to do!

I