4.2

Feb 20, 2016

Ok, so here is a little history of me. I am now 30 and I have ignored my credit since I was 18, after I successfully destroyed it. Well at least up until about 2 years ago. Over the past 2 years, I have done what I could to get out of debt. I paid my dues, and got my debt to less than $300 for everything. Feeling accomplished, I quickly became pretty upset seeing my Fico still at a very low 500... Of course, over that time, falling in love and planning for a future such as being a homeowner, I knew I had to do something to correct my childish mistakes and lavish shopping sprees with "invisible" money that was never mine. I've struggled getting my score up, but it was hard. No one would loan me a dime, even though I am way more financially stable than a freshman I was attending FSU... And finically successful, paycheck wise. You see, I'm an office manager at a successful local company in my area. I manage everything in the office, including the owner and his personal finances. I get to see first hand what excellent credit can get ya. He has hundreds of thousands of dollars in high end credit cards. 3 houses completely paid off, 2 vehicles and more money I could ever dream of invested. I call him Mr. MoneyBags. One day, after seeing his 848 Fico on the top of one of his card statements, I decided to go talk to that man. Besides having money, just how did he do it. He wasn't born into money, or married into it. He built a successful company, however he used to pump gas at a gas stations about 25 years ago. And his wife was a successful broker. So what did he do? I waked into his office, grabbed a seat and asked him. I explained my future goals, that I want to marry the man I love, buy a home, have a child. You know, I am 30! Most of my friends have children and been married of not divorced already. Time is ticking and I am tossing and turning over my credit. So we sat down and discussed my options. We browsed online and he suggested this card because of the low deposit, no annual fee and upon researching more, we found it reports as "unsecured" on my credit report. So I applied and was approved! First step down. But I haven't had it long enough to say if it's helping or not, but we will see. I guess the main thing is, no one else would give me a chance. These people did and I am grateful for that! Also, if you're reading this, yay you made it this far! So I want to share some tips that was passed down to me with a man that has a near perfect credit score. 1. This card will give you a $200 limit. Rather your deposit is $50, $100 or $200. You may put more down, to increase your limit, however, you won't need it. 2. Use this card for one thing only. Something small, and something you need to get every month. A $200 limit will leave you with about $60 to spend without going over 30%. He recommended a full tank of gas each month. 3. About the 30%, some say it's 10% but he swears by 30%. Of course the lesser amount is ideal, but it's anything above 30% that creditors frown upon. 4. Always pay it off in full before the due date. Set up automatic payments if you tend to be forgetful. 5. Remember, it's really not your money (sure this is a secured card, and in a way it could be depending on the amount you deposit) but to achieve better cards with higher amounts, get that part out of your head. It's NOT your money! So never spend more than you have in a checking account or cash in hand. 6. Be consistent and stick with it. As for this secured card. It's not going to be glorified and full of perks. Not at all. This card is like "you're on probation so behave" type of card. Remember, this card is just the first step so you can get those amazing credit cards with high limits and amazing rewards. So stick with it! Make your payments each month, and use your card to keep it active. 7. Be patient. It will take some time before your credit worthiness is enough to start applying for the better cards with higher limits and rewards. So even after a year, don't get mad if they don't increase your limit. Just keep going and always keep an eye on your score.

Nov 09, 2015
Great for building credit

This card was extremely helpful in helping me to restore my good credit. You all know all the basic stuff to do to get your scores higher and keep them there. So I won't get into any of that. Whatever you do, though, don't feel that you need to put a huge deposit into this card to have a huge available credit, for a better score. That won't matter very much. I wouldn't do more than a couple of hundred bucks and that's it. That way the whole account is easier to keep up with, and it won't let you do crazy stuff to get yourself into a credit problem. Just remember this: Capital One WILL NOT ever, never, ever return your security deposit until you close your account, which is the only way to get the deposit back. They will give you small increases to your credit limit, but nothing that will make you smile. Now, having said that the only way to recover your deposit (if it's a small one, just let it sit there until the Rapture...and beyond) is to close your account, just keep this card for only one year, then if your credit score has climbed up to Fair or better, apply for an unsecured card and close this one, assuming you get the new card. Then go on from there, primarily keeping utilization at or below 20%. Do not secure this card with more than a couple hundred bucks because you're never getting it back! At least for as long as you have this account open.

Jan 10, 2022
Trash

I got this card 13 months ago to start to rebuild my credit. I’ve since gotten my score up and got a few mid tier cards. This card stilll has not graduated and I haven’t gotten an increase. I’ve used it responsibly and pay it off every Month. The reps tell me they don’t know why it haven’t unsecured and to keep waiting, it can be anytime. At this point I really want to close the card.

Jan 09, 2022
Got denied. Card is bs.

Can't even get a credit card without being automatically denied. I give up on trying to build my credit up.

Dec 21, 2021
Terrible lending company!

They don’t work with you at all, this company is garbage just like the customer service

Dec 14, 2021
PAY STATEMENT BAL EVERY MONTH AND YOU'RE GOLDEN

I love this card. Yes 200 limit but its not for emergencies or spending crazily. Honestly, just pay your statement balance every single month and you'll be good! Love it!!

Dec 10, 2021
I love it I can not wait to use it

The customer service was good they did good job

Dec 01, 2021
Excellent card

Applied with very good approval odds and was approved and received card within 14 days total..so far I like the app and card. Customer service is very easy to read and answer questions. So far so good. I'm waiting to see impact on my credit score

Nov 28, 2021
Can't get it activated

I've called them 2 times and they keep on telling me different stuff I need to send them. I was approved for 500.00 and they keep talking fraud so it ain't worth your time.

Nov 27, 2021
Overall, I still like the card

This card is slow about updating your payment info when you pay it off. It took almost two months for them to report the info two the credit bureau, not pleased at all with the slowness to report!

Nov 26, 2021
Applied

I applied for this card, as it said my chances are excellent and got denied.

Nov 23, 2021
Just starting, a little nervous.

I’ve had one secured credit card and it boosted my credit then went down and then boosted it again so it’s really not working at all. So I applied here and got approved. So I’m waiting on the card now. Reading the reviews I’m kind of nervous because as people we want to see nothing but positive reviews but everyone is different. I just want a home for my wife and daughter and hopefully one on the way. As well as my dog lol. But I’m just wishing everything works out well so I could also get the unsecured card and just get a home and live up the American dream.