4.1

Feb 20, 2016

Ok, so here is a little history of me. I am now 30 and I have ignored my credit since I was 18, after I successfully destroyed it. Well at least up until about 2 years ago. Over the past 2 years, I have done what I could to get out of debt. I paid my dues, and got my debt to less than $300 for everything. Feeling accomplished, I quickly became pretty upset seeing my Fico still at a very low 500... Of course, over that time, falling in love and planning for a future such as being a homeowner, I knew I had to do something to correct my childish mistakes and lavish shopping sprees with "invisible" money that was never mine. I've struggled getting my score up, but it was hard. No one would loan me a dime, even though I am way more financially stable than a freshman I was attending FSU... And finically successful, paycheck wise. You see, I'm an office manager at a successful local company in my area. I manage everything in the office, including the owner and his personal finances. I get to see first hand what excellent credit can get ya. He has hundreds of thousands of dollars in high end credit cards. 3 houses completely paid off, 2 vehicles and more money I could ever dream of invested. I call him Mr. MoneyBags. One day, after seeing his 848 Fico on the top of one of his card statements, I decided to go talk to that man. Besides having money, just how did he do it. He wasn't born into money, or married into it. He built a successful company, however he used to pump gas at a gas stations about 25 years ago. And his wife was a successful broker. So what did he do? I waked into his office, grabbed a seat and asked him. I explained my future goals, that I want to marry the man I love, buy a home, have a child. You know, I am 30! Most of my friends have children and been married of not divorced already. Time is ticking and I am tossing and turning over my credit. So we sat down and discussed my options. We browsed online and he suggested this card because of the low deposit, no annual fee and upon researching more, we found it reports as "unsecured" on my credit report. So I applied and was approved! First step down. But I haven't had it long enough to say if it's helping or not, but we will see. I guess the main thing is, no one else would give me a chance. These people did and I am grateful for that! Also, if you're reading this, yay you made it this far! So I want to share some tips that was passed down to me with a man that has a near perfect credit score. 1. This card will give you a $200 limit. Rather your deposit is $50, $100 or $200. You may put more down, to increase your limit, however, you won't need it. 2. Use this card for one thing only. Something small, and something you need to get every month. A $200 limit will leave you with about $60 to spend without going over 30%. He recommended a full tank of gas each month. 3. About the 30%, some say it's 10% but he swears by 30%. Of course the lesser amount is ideal, but it's anything above 30% that creditors frown upon. 4. Always pay it off in full before the due date. Set up automatic payments if you tend to be forgetful. 5. Remember, it's really not your money (sure this is a secured card, and in a way it could be depending on the amount you deposit) but to achieve better cards with higher amounts, get that part out of your head. It's NOT your money! So never spend more than you have in a checking account or cash in hand. 6. Be consistent and stick with it. As for this secured card. It's not going to be glorified and full of perks. Not at all. This card is like "you're on probation so behave" type of card. Remember, this card is just the first step so you can get those amazing credit cards with high limits and amazing rewards. So stick with it! Make your payments each month, and use your card to keep it active. 7. Be patient. It will take some time before your credit worthiness is enough to start applying for the better cards with higher limits and rewards. So even after a year, don't get mad if they don't increase your limit. Just keep going and always keep an eye on your score.

Nov 09, 2015
Great for building credit

This card was extremely helpful in helping me to restore my good credit. You all know all the basic stuff to do to get your scores higher and keep them there. So I won't get into any of that. Whatever you do, though, don't feel that you need to put a huge deposit into this card to have a huge available credit, for a better score. That won't matter very much. I wouldn't do more than a couple of hundred bucks and that's it. That way the whole account is easier to keep up with, and it won't let you do crazy stuff to get yourself into a credit problem. Just remember this: Capital One WILL NOT ever, never, ever return your security deposit until you close your account, which is the only way to get the deposit back. They will give you small increases to your credit limit, but nothing that will make you smile. Now, having said that the only way to recover your deposit (if it's a small one, just let it sit there until the Rapture...and beyond) is to close your account, just keep this card for only one year, then if your credit score has climbed up to Fair or better, apply for an unsecured card and close this one, assuming you get the new card. Then go on from there, primarily keeping utilization at or below 20%. Do not secure this card with more than a couple hundred bucks because you're never getting it back! At least for as long as you have this account open.

Jun 24, 2022
Slow to report to Credit Bureau,no credit line inc

Istarted this card with a 580 score. Its good for an initial card. I've had this card for 6 months 100 deposited and 200 limit. Have not been able to increase the card limit. I use less than 25% utilization and pay off every month. Took 60 plus days to show on my credit report. They report inaccurate balances to the credit bureaus. I know have a 665 and approved for other cards with over 1000 limits with no annual fees. Capital one still won't give me a credit line increase...

Jun 22, 2022
Capital one is amazing !!

So I don’t have this exact card , I have the other cap one card unsecured. Long story short I could only get crappy cards that I had to pay for , they help but in reality what’s $200 credit limit ……. Somehow I applied for the good cap one card & they accepted me for $2,000 to start. I would apply for that one I think cap one platinum card or something. Nobody else would give me a good card , they took a chance on me. I’ve paid it off monthly in full each month for 6 months . Next thing you know they up my limit to $5,000 !!!! They are an excellent company . I would highly recommend !! I couldn’t be happier & customer service is beyond amazing.

Jun 08, 2022
ok for a beginner card

No annual or monthly fees which is great. 26.99 % interest- so pay off all of your account before the due date to keep balance at 0. After a while of paying your bills in full and on time you can call and ask to be unsecured (as long as you have made all payments in full) and they will send you back your initial money you used to secure it. DO NOT close the account EVER .... even if you never use it again in your life time, even if you just shred the card. It will show on your credit report as an open line of credit and it will help with your credit history. It takes years to bump numbers up even a little bit and they are so quick to knock numbers back down with any excuse. I know it's ridiculous- just for a credit check at the bank to get a secured loan my score went down 20 points. That is another way to help boost your score. Go to the bank and ask for a secured loan- ie: they put a hold on the money in your account for the amount you want to borrow ( as long as you have a job with money coming in), place the loaned money yo will be receiving back into your account and set up auto payments from your account to pay it off. you will be charged the amount you borrow plus interest: ie: $2000.00 + $45.00 interest, but it bumps your score after the year. I guess we are all in it for the long run :/

Jun 04, 2022
Not happy with this card

This month will make 2 years I have had this card. Every time I have a balance I pay off the entire amount on time. Still no limit increase at all. Its supposed to be every 6 months. Then I should have had at least 3 increases by now. Making a payment to this card is not convenient unless it comes from checking. Didnt help credit any

Jun 02, 2022
Absolutely most obnoxious card I’ve owned.

$300 secured card, and I pay my card off every time I use it. The company puts an 8 day hold on my payment. The payment is out of my bank account, it is posted on my account, but I have no available credit for 8 days. The card is secured. There is no reason a payment would need to be held on top of that. I’ll be closing this card as soon as possible.

Jun 01, 2022
So far so good

So far good

May 16, 2022
An "ok" card

I got this card hoping it would help with my credit. It doesn't even show up on my credit, and it hasn't helped raise my credit. I would make a payment and it would take days to come out. I made a payment this past week, it took 3 days to come out. When I checked my balance it said I had no available credit, I called the company. They stated that even though I made a payment I still wouldn't be able to use the card for another week. Their reasoning was because a payment was returned. I checked my bank and no payment was ever returned, which made no sense. The card is an "ok" card but beginning to look like a hassle to have.

May 14, 2022
This card is really great

My experience with Capital one is really great, but I haven't worked for a few months and my Credit repair company is removed my card from my Credit, something I don't really wanted .

May 11, 2022
Good Starter Card, That’s It.

Good Starter Card. I’ve had this card for a little over 3 years and my line of credit hasn’t changed! Credit Score is phenomenal and I still can’t get an increase! I will be using this card, once a year going forward just to keep it open. Customer service was no help, you don’t get any perks/benefits for being a long-time customer.

May 06, 2022
Secured card

It is an excellent card, I worked with it and in a year they returned my deposit, I continue to use it and I like it very much.