Credit Card Reviews Advertiser Disclosure

• Balance Transfer Regular APR 24.99%* Variable
  • Purchase Intro APR Not Applicable
  • Purchase Regular APR 24.99%* Variable

Our Take

The Capital One® Secured MasterCard® is a good option for people with little or no credit history who are looking to build their credit.

What to Like

This Capital One® Secured MasterCard® has no set up or processing fees. Capital One® reports to all three major credit bureaus so you can take steps to build your credit history. While this card does require an initial security deposit, Capital One® may increase your credit limit without any additional deposits if you use your credit responsibly.

Look Out For

Secured credit cards are great for building credit, but they typically come with annual fees and a required security deposit--and without rewards. It’s important to use your credit responsibly in order to build toward a card with more attractive perks.

Feb 20, 2016
Aveah Cardholder

Ok, so here is a little history of me. I am now 30 and I have ignored my credit since I was 18, after I successfully destroyed it. Well at least up until about 2 years ago. Over the past 2 years, I have done what I could to get out of debt. I paid my dues, and got my debt to less than $300 for everything. Feeling accomplished, I quickly became pretty upset seeing my Fico still at a very low 500... Of course, over that time, falling in love and planning for a future such as being a homeowner, I knew I had to do something to correct my childish mistakes and lavish shopping sprees with "invisible" money that was never mine. I've struggled getting my score up, but it was hard. No one would loan me a dime, even though I am way more financially stable than a freshman I was attending FSU... And finically successful, paycheck wise.

You see, I'm an office manager at a successful local company in my area. I manage everything in the office, including the owner and his personal finances. I get to see first hand what excellent credit can get ya. He has hundreds of thousands of dollars in high end credit cards. 3 houses completely paid off, 2 vehicles and more money I could ever dream of invested. I call him Mr. MoneyBags.

One day, after seeing his 848 Fico on the top of one of his card statements, I decided to go talk to that man. Besides having money, just how did he do it. He wasn't born into money, or married into it. He built a successful company, however he used to pump gas at a gas stations about 25 years ago. And his wife was a successful broker. So what did he do?

I waked into his office, grabbed a seat and asked him. I explained my future goals, that I want to marry the man I love, buy a home, have a child. You know, I am 30! Most of my friends have children and been married of not divorced already. Time is ticking and I am tossing and turning over my credit.

So we sat down and discussed my options. We browsed online and he suggested this card because of the low deposit, no annual fee and upon researching more, we found it reports as "unsecured" on my credit report. So I applied and was approved! First step down. But I haven't had it long enough to say if it's helping or not, but we will see. I guess the main thing is, no one else would give me a chance. These people did and I am grateful for that!

Also, if you're reading this, yay you made it this far! So I want to share some tips that was passed down to me with a man that has a near perfect credit score.

1. This card will give you a $200 limit. Rather your deposit is $50, $100 or $200. You may put more down, to increase your limit, however, you won't need it.

2. Use this card for one thing only. Something small, and something you need to get every month. A $200 limit will leave you with about $60 to spend without going over 30%. He recommended a full tank of gas each month.

3. About the 30%, some say it's 10% but he swears by 30%. Of course the lesser amount is ideal, but it's anything above 30% that creditors frown upon.

4. Always pay it off in full before the due date. Set up automatic payments if you tend to be forgetful.

5. Remember, it's really not your money (sure this is a secured card, and in a way it could be depending on the amount you deposit) but to achieve better cards with higher amounts, get that part out of your head. It's NOT your money! So never spend more than you have in a checking account or cash in hand.

6. Be consistent and stick with it. As for this secured card. It's not going to be glorified and full of perks. Not at all. This card is like "you're on probation so behave" type of card. Remember, this card is just the first step so you can get those amazing credit cards with high limits and amazing rewards. So stick with it! Make your payments each month, and use your card to keep it active.

7. Be patient. It will take some time before your credit worthiness is enough to start applying for the better cards with higher limits and rewards. So even after a year, don't get mad if they don't increase your limit. Just keep going and always keep an eye on your score.

Nov 22, 2016
Decent but not great
ITLady Cardholder

I've had this card for 10+ years.  I got it to rebuild my credit under a secured card, sent my deposit and got a $200 limit (which I understood because I had bad credit) a few months later, they raised my credit limit to $300.  I've never had a late payment or any issues with the card, but my credit limit has also never been raised again.  They switched the card from a secured to an unsecured a couple years ago but when I did ask for an increase (in the last year, I have a score of 740 now) their system still sees it as a secured card and requires another deposit, when I try the deposit it sees it as unsecured and won't let me do one.

I only keep this card open because it's my oldest revolving credit account.

Jan 14, 2017
Great to help build credit!
Thelma85 Cardholder

I applied for this card with a score of 560 in Feb 2016 and was approved with a minimum deposit of $99. I made a $100 deposit and they gave me a limit of $201. I use this for small purchases here and there (Birchbox subscription, gas, fast food) and paid more than my minimum payment every month, usually I would pay the entire balance. I logged in this evening to pay my balance of $43 and now my credit limit says $501! So in 11 months they upped me $300. More importantly, in 11 months my credit score has gone from a 560 to a 682 and I was approved for a Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards card with a $4,000 limit!

Amazing
KellAnn Cardholder

I applied for this card 6 months ago scared that I wasn't going to approved, but guess what? I got approved and only had to pay $49 for my deposit which gave me $200. I was very excited I got another chance at building my credit after messing it up. Fast forded after paying my card off every month in full for 6 months my credit score went up 100 Points and I got a credit limit increase I was shocked and amazed. Thank you Capital One for giving me a chance!!!!

Poor Credit History

I am currently 34. Over the last decade or so I have accumulated various medical, CC, and utility collections (6 to be exact). My Equifax score is 607, Transunion is 616. I was approved for a $200 credit limit with a $49 deposit. About 18 months ago I went into a payment plan with C1 to pay off a CC that went into collections, that was fully paid off in Dec. Also about 18 months ago I bought a car with a small loan just to establish good standing with another lender and a different type of account. This is the next step towards a slow steady recovery from my past mistakes.

Great card for growing
SSmith888 Cardholder

So let me start off by saying my fiancé also has this card and has had it for over 4 months...her credit keeps going up - she started off last June being denied for C1 secured then got approved for Citi bank secured credit card (with a $200 limit because it's completely secured) 3 months later she tried again for C1 secured and was approved for $99 deposit and $200 credit limit - she loaded $151 so she would have $250 limit. Fast forward to 12/23/2016 she was approved for a $1,000 unsecured personal loan! She got the loan not because it's needed but to help show a mix of accounts on her report. Oh also she was just approved for a mortgage for up to $150,000 :-) so citi and capital one secured have done amazing things.

her score timeline: EQ 5 bad Collctions TU 3 bads

June 2016- applied to capital one secured DENIED, approved Citi bank secured $200 EQ score 514 TU score 524

September 2016- re-applied Capital One secured approved for $99 deposit got a $250 credit limit EQ score 546 TU score 563

December 2016- applied for $1,000 unsecured loan with bank- approved EQ 596 TU 614

Also- Mortgage approval up to $150,000 in December the bank scoring system showed my score at 628 per the lender

today per credit karma update EQ 615 TU 635

also I paid off 2 collections that hit a year ago waiting on those to show paid (they only totaled like $250 but the lender told me paid looks better than unpaid collection)

moral of the story? Work hard to see change!

now back to me! I have $10,350 unpaid debt on TU and $12,517 showing on EQ (also I'm waiting on an update because of a division of debt by divorce that they legally have to update showing all debts are now mutual owned and I am only legally bonded to half now)

June 2016- denied both capital 1 and citi secured TU 441 EQ 424

paid down utility collections $600

August 2016- approved for Citi bank secured- $200 limit TU 452 EQ 437

June-December a total of 12 inquires came off both reports

January 2017- approved for Capital one secured $99/$200 limit but put enough to equal a $400 limit on the card (I was so shocked to be approved!) TU 527 EQ 514

again work towards it and it gets better even little by little.

if you get denied for capital one secured try again in 3-6 months if your score has gone up some by then, they seem to like seeing a recent/current good card history before approving it.

Jan 13, 2017
Does what's it's meant to.
ckirby06 Cardholder

This card is very easy to get. You simply pay a deposit ranging from $49 to $99 to get the credit limit you prefer. Only bad thing is I've had this card since 2011 and it does not graduate nor are you able to add additional funds after the initial funding period.

Jan 14, 2017

This card definitely graduated for me after 11 months of perfect payment history and low utilization. Even though you're not able to add more funds they increase the credit limit is better in my opinion because you dont have to fork over any more hard earned money. Not sure why you havent graduated, but I did and received my security deposit back. Hope that helps.

So far so good!
knshelton13 Cardholder

I've had my card since October 2016 (it is now January 2017) and my credot score has shot up about 60 points already!!! I am aware that there is no graduating to an unsecured card but that doesn't bother me on bit. I was shocked that I even got approved for this one!

There is a dip in score (mine was one by one point) when you first apply but after have paid your first month's bill you will see it go back up again.

The app has a great interface for paying your bill. Just a few taps and a swipe to pay and it's no biggie!

Great tool for those that are trying to rebuild their credit score!

Jan 14, 2017

I was definitely refunded my security deposit on this card and was told it graduated. You may want to ask why your security deposit has not been refunded yet. Hope that helps you.

Amazing!!
HLF2008 Cardholder

Ok, So last year I decided to open this card to help rebuild my credit. I had a few bad years when the economy crashed and ruined my credit. I was guided to this card by CK. I applied and was told to deposit $99 I deposited $200.(I got a credit limit of $301) I used the card, made on time payments. 6 months into owning the card they doubled my credit limit with out me asking. I went to make the payment and I was confused at the numbers I was seeing, but was very happy and pleasantly surprised. Just now I got an e-mail from them saying my account had been upgraded. So I log in and to my surprise, they had turned my secured card into an unsecured card, refunded my security deposit and raised my limit another $200. Yes, it is only $800 but I am proud to be making progress and having companies trust me again!! Moral of the story, may on time payments, be careful with your credit and good things will happen!! Thank you Capital One!

Necessary Accomplishment
AntiqueMe Cardholder

When it comes to repairing one's credit, you must crawl before you walk.  Having said that, Capital One Secured MasterCard will help in repairing bad credit.  Within 4 months of making your monthly payment on time, they'll offer you a credit increase.  So, if you demonstrate credit-worthiness, Capital One will afford you an opportunity.  Highly recommend.

just got it
TheBigTK Cardholder

I had HORRIBLE credit. When i say horrible, i mean horrible. In the 460's to be exact. With the help of my father i got a car loan through Santander. With 1 year of on time payments and most of the time throwing a few extra dollars on my payments, my credit score is now 560-570. Shopping at Victoria's Secret i was pre-approved for a credit card there with a limit of $350. I always saw the suggestions at the bottom of credit karma but never paid attention to them in fear of rejection and hurting my score. SInce i was approved for VS i figured i'd give this card a shot. I was approved with a score of around 560. I do not know what my FICO score is but i assume it's somewhere near there. Approval scores are what people look for in these comments so i figured id let the future inquirer know. I was approved for a limit of $200 with a deposit of $99. I paid them on 12/22. You are allowed to pay them in payments and you have time to do it. It doesnt have to be immediate. You can also opt to add more money for a larger credit limit. They have the money withdrawn out of my account on 12/23 but i dont think i saw it taken out until 12/28 because of Christmas. I received an email saying that they would be sending my card on 1/4/17 and i received it 2 days after that, 1/6/17. Its been about 7 days and i still have not used the card. I read negative reviews about people just using it and before they even had a chance to pay it before their due date, their score went down. Coincidence? Im unsure if i even want to use it. Today i applied for the Discover It Secured card and i was approved. That has better reviews and also has perks, credit limit increases and you can graduate. I think i will keep this card just for the available credit or if an emergency happens i will use it. Otherwise i think i will use my Discover card to rebuild my credit. To be fair, there are way more positive reviews on this card than negative ones. Hope this was helpful to someone.

Jan 11, 2017
Just got it and have not used it
TheBigTK Cardholder

Sample Size: 97,465
Data Created: February 02, 2015

Note: Sample data consists of Credit Karma members who hold this card.

Capital One® Secured MasterCard®