Credit Card Reviews Advertiser Disclosure

• Balance Transfer Regular APR Not Applicable
  • Purchase Intro APR Not Applicable
  • Purchase Regular APR 14.99%* Variable

Our Take

The First Progress Platinum Select MasterCard® Secured Credit Card is a solid option for building credit.

What to Like

It's a secured credit card, meaning there's no credit history required to get approved. First Progress also reports monthly to all three credit bureaus.

Look Out For

Because the card is secured, you'll have to pay a security deposit after you’re approved. The card also charges an annual fee.

Apr 24, 2016
Does what it's supposed to.
Cbake12 Cardholder

I just typed a mega post about this card.  With tons on information for folks that had questions like I had and couldn't find.  Apparently it took me too long to post it because when I went to post it, it asked me to re-login and the whole thing was lost.  So I'll try to sum up real quick.

This is a great card to build your credit if you have none or if your credit is bad. It is a god awful card for people that can qualify for a nonsecured credit card.  I applied for the card late friday night (actually 3am Sat)  I received it the very next Thursday.  I paid an extra $40 to have the abliity to fund the account with mulitple payments over 6 months. I ended up paying it in two $200 payments online with a prepaid card before I even received the card.  If you are leary about sending 400,500 or even 1000 dollars to strange company you've never done business with then this may be a good option for you.  You'll actually receive the card before you've funded it.  The card will be active and able to be used the next business day after you finsih funding your account.  $40 bucks is $40 bucks, but it's not bad insurance if you are worried about having hundreds of dollars tied up before you get your card.

Customer service:  They don't want people to have their number.  It's almost imposible to find their number if you are not already a customer.  If you are a customer it's mearly difficult to find their number.  They don't want to field calls or offer anything to you for being their customer.  I get it.  They are in a high risk credit industry, but it still sucks.  I'll post the number and other information at the bottom of this post.   They are closed on Sundays.  You will get a generic voice mail that basically says "we are closed, call back when we aren't closed."  No company name, no hours of operation.

When they are not closed I've never had to wait on hold more than 30 seconds.  Both times I spoke to a male from the the southern united states (I'm assuming Georgia).  He was polite and helpful.  That was nice.

Making payments.  Checks take 10 days to post and online payments take 5.  They say they need this time to make sure the funds are available.  That BS.  It doesn't take that long.  This isn't 1976 its 2016.  But whatever.  It's their world, we just live in it.  The quickest way to make a payment is MoneyGram ExpressPayment Service.  It cost 5 bucks, you can do it at Walmart.  It should post the next business day.  I've done it twice on a Friday.  Once it posted Saturday afternoon the other time it took till Monday.  Moneygram confirms they got the money within minutes but it still takes a bit to post.  This is by far the quickest way to pay.

The only reason it's worth paying paying with Moneygram is to get a payment in before your bill is generated.  When your bill is generated they also report to the credit reporting agencies.  So if you are trying to keep your "credit utilization" down or need to make a payment the day before it is due then MoneyGram is a fantastic option.  It also allows you to have access to the money you paid a lot quicker than mailing a check or paying online.  There are situations where this will be useful to some.  It sure is to me.  My bill is generated on the 23rd of the month so I send in enough to pay it down to less than 10%.  When they report my account to the credit agencies it shows me having a balance of less than 10%.  This is a good thing.

Since I paid the extra $40 to fund my account in instalments they reported to the credit agencies before I actually got the card.  It only took a week to get the card but when I checked my credit the day before I received it my credit score zoomed up.  It showed I had a $400 credi line and was using $29 of it.  My score went from a 508 to 625 on one and from nothing (thin file) to a 671 on another according to  I was stoked.  I'm still stoked.  You will be stoked!

As you can see they don't really bend over backwards for you and they don't try to lure you in with rewards and such.  They provide a service and they expect to be paid for it.  It's a marriage born out of circumstance.  You get what you need, they get what they need.  As soon as one doesn't need the other you should get a divorce.

One nice thing about them is the ease of getting another card. Having multiple accounts and more avalible credit (with good utilization) will help your credit.  At first you get their basic card.  The only thing different that I have found is the interest rate.  You shouldn't even be worried about interest since you should be paying it off everymonth, but less intrest is better than more.  The first card is 19.99% apr but you are automatically qualified for their two other cards, the lowest having an 11.99% apr though the annual fee is a bit higher.  I will probably do this as my next stepping stone towards obtaining an unsecured credit card with benifits.

Their phone number is 877/724-0928

If you are going to use MoneyGram ExpressPayment this is the info you need:

Company Name:  FIRST PROGRESS CARD-NXTDY (you don't need the nxtdy but that's how it appears on the receipt)

Receive code :1461

City and State: Columbia, Georgia

You will also need your 16 digit card number.  This is also your account number

Hope this helps someone.  I was leary before I got it and had a lot of questions I couldn't find answers to.  I'm glad I took the plunge.  I'm really excited about making progress on my credit report.  This has been the single best thing I've done for my financial situation.  I've recomended it to many freinds and family member and do so with out hesitation.

Dec 14, 2015
scam fraud deceptive stay a away
bestadvice Cardholder

This company is fraud; I figured their scam on august 24 2015 and closed my account after being scammed three times three months in a row. Since it was obvious that these crooks will end up scamming me; I requested in writing a document to prove my account has been closed; with five requests calls and faxes; I was able to the original document to show my account was closed.

Though those fraud people did send me the letter; still the fight was on for me to get my $2000 security deposit refunded. Though my account was paid in full and I had a document in writing to prove so; the scum racket outfit lied to me for 90 days until I put pressure on them to get my money back.

92 days of pleading, faxing and calling; I finally got $1,870 less $130 these scum scammed me. Adding gas to the fire they reported me late in November though my account was closed in August and documented by them.

As a result of fraud reporting by First Progressive Card; my score went down from 712 to 662 which put my business, pending mortgage app and biz affairs all at risk. I was forced to hire a professional credit company to assist me in clearing my credit; and retain an attorney to go after these scum.

I am seeking help from the state attorney’s office and pursuing full investigation of this racket outfit I have created a webpage for other victims of this scam and pray no one goes through what these people did to me.

I am very lucky I had that one document to prove my case; rest assured I will not rest until these guys are closed.

Oct 14, 2016
Rebuilding Bad Credit? Then get it.
crusaderps Cardholder

Got a $200 credit line. The money was withdrawn immediately as I finished the application. Takes about 2-3 weeks to recieve your card.

The interest rate is high. Who cares? You keep your utilization low (15%-20%) and pay it off each month. This is a tool for rebuilding credit.

This did put an Inquiry on one of my three credit reports. But that's ok. It'll be another few years before I buy my house. Score was 550ish.

Customer Service? I have no reason to call them. I just use it as I would any other card.

You cannot pay through their website. It says "Here's your account number. Pay using your online banking." No big deal. That's easy.

The Yearly fee and initial fee are high. But they offer a few cards. The one with the high interest rate has the lowest yearly/initial fee. Get that one. Like I said, if you're using 15-20%, who gives a crap what the interest rate is? Let it cycle then pay it.

So far I have no complaints about this card. Don't expect anything other than a tool to rebuild credit. Opened up a $200 (Minimum deposit) because the FICO score is more concerned with credit utilization ratio/percentage. Bottom Line: Trying to rebuild your credit? Get this card. While I'm here, I will suggest Opensky which is very similar but does NOT do a credit check and thus will NOT leave an inquiry ding on your report/s.

Oct 26, 2016

So ive never used a secured credit card before. If i put 200 into it what is the amount it gives me to spend? 200? Sorry im new to this and trying to rebuild my credit and i havent found that answer yet

Oct 13, 2016

Stay away

Oct 12, 2016
Anonymous Cardholder

Terrible customer service they are not very helpful they try to rush me off the phone they are not sincere with my issues that I'm having with the card or them. I made a bad choice by picking this company I have this card it has done nothing for my credit. They told me they will contact all three credit bureau they contact them the first month that I had the card. I have gotten the card February 2016  they updated the credit bureau maybe about 3 or 4 times that was it. I still have the same report since June on my credit smh I should've went to capital one or any other company to whoever that's trying to get this card please do not waste your time and money. You will be disappointed

Oct 10, 2016
It serves its purpose.
Sony732 Cardholder

If you need a card on your report this works. Secured card with crazy fees and high interest, and doesn't report to all 3 bureaus. Paying your bill is a hassle as well.

Oct 05, 2016
Does what it's supposed to do
Anonymous Cardholder

For someone like myself that didn't have good credit, this card definitely helped. It's been a year, and my score went from a 498 to 611. I pay ontime and extra when I can. I normally pay through moneygram as that's the easiest way to make a payment and funds are usually available within 48 hours. No complaints here!

Sep 28, 2016
Baja16 Cardholder

Do not get it under any circumstances.  Customer service is horrible

Sep 25, 2016
Started Off Good but........
kmump Cardholder

I originally opened 2 accounts with First Progress for secured cards when trying to build my credit and purchase a house.  Both accounts had $300 on them. They did assist in helping me build and establish credit and after doing so, I eventually was approved for a couple of 3k and a 10k unsecured card.  Therefore I decided to close both accounts w/ First Progress and receive my $600 back from the 2 accounts.  What they do not disclose is that if and when you decide to close your accounts with them, it can take up to 10 weeks to get YOUR money back.  I close both accounts in late July and still have yet to receive my money.  They wasted time in August and sent a statement showing that they owe me $300 on each account rather than just sending me my money.  I have called 3 times and each time I am told it may take until 0ctober 8th before I receive my money.  Total BS IMO and I guess they are just hanging on to my money and earning interest in the meantime.  Customer service is never much help.  Glad I finally have REAL credit cards that are unsecured and have helpful, friendly staff when a customer has questions or concerns!!!!

Sep 17, 2016
CreditSaavy Cardholder

Easy for bad credit... It's a start... I applied on 8/14 and chose the "fund later" option. I paid the $200 deposit in two payments and got the card a week and a half after applying. No credit check or anything. My scores are horribly low so now I'm waiting to see what happens when they report for the first time. I got my first bill today that's due next month and will use Billpay. I have called customer service several times with questions because I was wary about sending $200 to this company but EVERY time I call, I get a nice rep who answers my questions and is very polite. It reassures me, who as a single mom is trying to rebuild credit. Will do an update soon!!

Sep 11, 2016

Sep 07, 2016
AsimFrancis Cardholder

Extremely slow processing to get the card, everything takes forever with this bank (accepting payment, updating balances, reporting to credit agencies, refunding your money)

Credit Score
Credit Limit
60+ Days Past Due Status
Age of Cardholder

Sample Size: 1,844
Data Created: February 02, 2015

Note: Sample data consists of Credit Karma members who hold this card.

First Progress Platinum Select MasterCard® Secured Credit Card