Credit Card Reviews Advertiser Disclosure

• Balance Transfer Regular APR Not Applicable
  • Purchase Intro APR Not Applicable
  • Purchase Regular APR 14.99%* Variable

Our Take

The First Progress Platinum Select MasterCard® Secured Credit Card is a solid option for building credit.

What to Like

It's a secured credit card, meaning there's no credit history required to get approved. First Progress also reports monthly to all three credit bureaus.

Look Out For

Because the card is secured, you'll have to pay a security deposit after you’re approved. The card also charges an annual fee.

Apr 24, 2016
Does what it's supposed to.
Cbake12 Cardholder

I just typed a mega post about this card.  With tons on information for folks that had questions like I had and couldn't find.  Apparently it took me too long to post it because when I went to post it, it asked me to re-login and the whole thing was lost.  So I'll try to sum up real quick.

This is a great card to build your credit if you have none or if your credit is bad. It is a god awful card for people that can qualify for a nonsecured credit card.  I applied for the card late friday night (actually 3am Sat)  I received it the very next Thursday.  I paid an extra $40 to have the abliity to fund the account with mulitple payments over 6 months. I ended up paying it in two $200 payments online with a prepaid card before I even received the card.  If you are leary about sending 400,500 or even 1000 dollars to strange company you've never done business with then this may be a good option for you.  You'll actually receive the card before you've funded it.  The card will be active and able to be used the next business day after you finsih funding your account.  $40 bucks is $40 bucks, but it's not bad insurance if you are worried about having hundreds of dollars tied up before you get your card.

Customer service:  They don't want people to have their number.  It's almost imposible to find their number if you are not already a customer.  If you are a customer it's mearly difficult to find their number.  They don't want to field calls or offer anything to you for being their customer.  I get it.  They are in a high risk credit industry, but it still sucks.  I'll post the number and other information at the bottom of this post.   They are closed on Sundays.  You will get a generic voice mail that basically says "we are closed, call back when we aren't closed."  No company name, no hours of operation.

When they are not closed I've never had to wait on hold more than 30 seconds.  Both times I spoke to a male from the the southern united states (I'm assuming Georgia).  He was polite and helpful.  That was nice.

Making payments.  Checks take 10 days to post and online payments take 5.  They say they need this time to make sure the funds are available.  That BS.  It doesn't take that long.  This isn't 1976 its 2016.  But whatever.  It's their world, we just live in it.  The quickest way to make a payment is MoneyGram ExpressPayment Service.  It cost 5 bucks, you can do it at Walmart.  It should post the next business day.  I've done it twice on a Friday.  Once it posted Saturday afternoon the other time it took till Monday.  Moneygram confirms they got the money within minutes but it still takes a bit to post.  This is by far the quickest way to pay.

The only reason it's worth paying paying with Moneygram is to get a payment in before your bill is generated.  When your bill is generated they also report to the credit reporting agencies.  So if you are trying to keep your "credit utilization" down or need to make a payment the day before it is due then MoneyGram is a fantastic option.  It also allows you to have access to the money you paid a lot quicker than mailing a check or paying online.  There are situations where this will be useful to some.  It sure is to me.  My bill is generated on the 23rd of the month so I send in enough to pay it down to less than 10%.  When they report my account to the credit agencies it shows me having a balance of less than 10%.  This is a good thing.

------------------------------

Since I paid the extra $40 to fund my account in instalments they reported to the credit agencies before I actually got the card.  It only took a week to get the card but when I checked my credit the day before I received it my credit score zoomed up.  It showed I had a $400 credi line and was using $29 of it.  My score went from a 508 to 625 on one and from nothing (thin file) to a 671 on another according to CreditKarma.com.  I was stoked.  I'm still stoked.  You will be stoked!

As you can see they don't really bend over backwards for you and they don't try to lure you in with rewards and such.  They provide a service and they expect to be paid for it.  It's a marriage born out of circumstance.  You get what you need, they get what they need.  As soon as one doesn't need the other you should get a divorce.

One nice thing about them is the ease of getting another card. Having multiple accounts and more avalible credit (with good utilization) will help your credit.  At first you get their basic card.  The only thing different that I have found is the interest rate.  You shouldn't even be worried about interest since you should be paying it off everymonth, but less intrest is better than more.  The first card is 19.99% apr but you are automatically qualified for their two other cards, the lowest having an 11.99% apr though the annual fee is a bit higher.  I will probably do this as my next stepping stone towards obtaining an unsecured credit card with benifits.

Their phone number is 877/724-0928

If you are going to use MoneyGram ExpressPayment this is the info you need:

Company Name:  FIRST PROGRESS CARD-NXTDY (you don't need the nxtdy but that's how it appears on the receipt)

Receive code :1461

City and State: Columbia, Georgia

You will also need your 16 digit card number.  This is also your account number

Hope this helps someone.  I was leary before I got it and had a lot of questions I couldn't find answers to.  I'm glad I took the plunge.  I'm really excited about making progress on my credit report.  This has been the single best thing I've done for my financial situation.  I've recomended it to many freinds and family member and do so with out hesitation.

Jul 26, 2016
LOOK ELSEWHERE !!! Horrible
LynnAZ Cardholder

They have had $1500 of my money since Aug 2015.

Sept 2015 they shut the card down due to fraud?

it took me until June 2016 to get a new card. Never received statements. Access online was tied to old account number which is closed. July 25 I finally got ahold of someone by pressing lost/ stolen card. I've waited up to 45 mins and then get cut off to speak to customer service. I paid the card off and was charged 10.00 because you can only pay with your bank acct   It will take 10 days to post until the card will be considered closed then an additional 10 WEEKS to get my 1500 mailed back.

They have been using my 1500 for over a year with their backward account practices. This company needs to be investigated. Taking advantage of people and using their money for their benefit.

DO NOT SIGN UP WITH COMPANY!!!!

Jan 02, 2017
SCAM
timbrld1 Cardholder

If you know what's best, you would stay away from this card.  It's a money making scam that would result in a lower credit score.  My score dropped 45 points because of erroneous credit reporting.  I couldn't wait to pay them out and close this account before they do anymore damage to my credit.  Then they told me I have to wait up to 10 weeks to get back my deposit.     PLEASE AVOID THIS CARD LIKE A PLAGUE!                     SCAM ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dec 17, 2016
Pretty good so far
sharpe85 Cardholder

This card was easy to get approved for and I just used it for the first time for a rental car and had to contact customer service and the lady was super nice! Took a while for the hold but once on the phone took less than two minutes to resolve the issue of it not actually being activated somehow.

I just sent my first moneygram payment today and will update others on how fast that posts :) by the way the receive code is 14561 and keep your receipt or at least take a pic with your phone as proof of your tracking number:)

Dec 14, 2016
terrible
mattnazari93 Cardholder

I have a fraduelent charge on my card and have tried emailing them there's not customer service email to reach them and I've called 3 numbers and was on hold for 45 minutes before it just hung up

Dec 10, 2016
The worst card ever stay away
Kcbat Cardholder

They are absolutely the worst company on the market today they take your money refuse to return your deposit in a timely manner they don't give you any way to make payments from other than bills pay is it so hard to talk to somebody from First Progress they are the worst customer service I have ever seen if you need a secured card go to Capital One go to discover stay away from First Progress

Dec 10, 2016
The WORST CARD EVER STAY AWAY
Kcbat Cardholder

They still owe me money they have no way to pay other than bill pay then they take the week supposed to payment then they say that you're late and put it on your credit they are absolutely the worst credit card on the market you should stay away

Dec 05, 2016
VERY SHADY... MORE DAMAGE THAN GOOD
XKPatrickx Cardholder

1.nearly impossible to speak with a live representative. 2.i had the card for a few months, made all payments on time, suddenly the card wouldn't work, when I investigated 1st Progress said they sent me a request by mail to verify my address and identity and since I didn't respond they canceled my card. That was it, no attempts to call me or email me at all. I don't know if it is the fault of the postal service or 1st progress, but I never received any letter and my statements never included any such request. Now, the account shows on my credit report as a negative mark because it was closed by 1st Progress. Thanks for less than nothing 1st Progress. Very shady

Oct 26, 2016

It's a great card

Oct 14, 2016
Rebuilding Bad Credit? Then get it.
crusaderps Cardholder

Got a $200 credit line. The money was withdrawn immediately as I finished the application. Takes about 2-3 weeks to recieve your card.

The interest rate is high. Who cares? You keep your utilization low (15%-20%) and pay it off each month. This is a tool for rebuilding credit.

This did put an Inquiry on one of my three credit reports. But that's ok. It'll be another few years before I buy my house. Score was 550ish.

Customer Service? I have no reason to call them. I just use it as I would any other card.

You cannot pay through their website. It says "Here's your account number. Pay using your online banking." No big deal. That's easy.

The Yearly fee and initial fee are high. But they offer a few cards. The one with the high interest rate has the lowest yearly/initial fee. Get that one. Like I said, if you're using 15-20%, who gives a crap what the interest rate is? Let it cycle then pay it.

So far I have no complaints about this card. Don't expect anything other than a tool to rebuild credit. Opened up a $200 (Minimum deposit) because the FICO score is more concerned with credit utilization ratio/percentage. Bottom Line: Trying to rebuild your credit? Get this card. While I'm here, I will suggest Opensky which is very similar but does NOT do a credit check and thus will NOT leave an inquiry ding on your report/s.

Oct 26, 2016

So ive never used a secured credit card before. If i put 200 into it what is the amount it gives me to spend? 200? Sorry im new to this and trying to rebuild my credit and i havent found that answer yet

Jan 14, 2017

No, off the bat $200 won't be your credit limit as they will take their annual fee from it.

Oct 13, 2016

Stay away

Oct 12, 2016
Terrible
Anonymous Cardholder

Terrible customer service they are not very helpful they try to rush me off the phone they are not sincere with my issues that I'm having with the card or them. I made a bad choice by picking this company I have this card it has done nothing for my credit. They told me they will contact all three credit bureau they contact them the first month that I had the card. I have gotten the card February 2016  they updated the credit bureau maybe about 3 or 4 times that was it. I still have the same report since June on my credit smh I should've went to capital one or any other company to whoever that's trying to get this card please do not waste your time and money. You will be disappointed

Jan 20, 2017

So why would you give this card and this company 4 stars here on CreditCarma if you have had nothing but negative experience with them? According to you everything is bad here - starting with the card itself which is a mistake to get, disappointing customer service, inconsistent reporting to the Credit Bureaus, etc. For such a terrible experience as you claim to have with this card and its issuing company, I'd think you'd give them a 1 star rating.. not the almost perfect 4 stars.

Credit Score
Credit Limit
60+ Days Past Due Status
Age of Cardholder

Sample Size: 1,844
Data Created: February 02, 2015

Note: Sample data consists of Credit Karma members who hold this card.

First Progress Platinum Select MasterCard® Secured Credit Card