3.5

Nov 17, 2011

True, but it's good to have in a pinch. They give you a small credit line ($300) so you can't get yourself in too deep. You can only use it to buy gas, so you don't run up a bill buying stupid stuff like soda or snacks.

Apr 20, 2011

This card has a 23% APR. Pretty much terrible versus any other credit card. Considering the small rebate per gallon you are much better off using a cash back card.

Mar 30, 2020
love my valero card

im in michigan so there is only one station near wish there were more other than that i love using my card

Feb 15, 2019
What a crock Valero

I have had this card for 5 years and have always used it and paid my bill in full every month. I didn't use this card for two months and went to purchase fuel in which the card was denied. I called Valero and they gave me the lame excuse of why they closed the account due to not using it for those two months. What? No letter, no email, NOTHING! Now I have marks on my credit because the account was closed. Nice. The kicker was when I was talking to a customer rep at Valero she said to me, that I can reapply to reopen my account and I told her at that point to make note to whoever made that crap up to stick the card you know where. Valero you suck and GOOD THING your stations are changing to other companies here in Southern California.

Apr 28, 2017
Slow to report payments

This card is very quick to want payment, but does not report your payments. It just shows open account with 300 limit. But, i have paid several payments prior to due date. And none of that was ever reported.

Sep 05, 2016
credit builder

Intrest rate is not as good as some but better than some as well ... But if your paying your balance every month your rebuilding your credit.. They also give you cash prices even when using their card.. Over all i consider this card a valuable asset to keep in my wallet for just in case...

Jul 20, 2016

why dont you all post your CS when replying? that would help greatly!

Apr 02, 2015
they give second chances

I had this card for about a year in 2011. I moved and missed a payment because i never went online to do payments. I went 30 days late and paid it off in full after they closed the account on me. I called this January because i continue to get mail and offers from them even though they never had my new address haha. They reopened my account, I am not sure if this gives me the benefit of an account over 4 years old but that would be a nice trick in my favor, as my average account age is 3.5 years. To the members who argue regular cards give more cash back, well they do, but if your credit card gets skimmed in the bad part or (good part) of town id rather have someone eat up a 300 dollar limit on a gas card vs fraud freezes on your only other credit card that can be used anywhere. I consider gas cards as credit builders for history value not big utilization numbers.

Oct 31, 2014
Valero

Funny, I applied for a Hess that is the corner of my Unit and I got rejected. A week later I received this Valero credit card without applying. I have a Valero station two blocks away and I am using it since then. Pay the balance full every month so I haven't paid any interest at all. Plus it has help my credit score. Yes, is 3c more expensive that the Hess, but Hess rejected me anyway. So Valero it is.

Oct 22, 2014
Approved for Valero card after recon

I was denied when I applied online. Found a few errors and negative items on my CR (they pulled Experian) and called the recon # a month later and got approved today. Very nice lady at their office in Amarillo, Texas who I spoke with. MyFico Experian score is 668, MyFico TU score is 658 & CK is 633. 2 baddies which are both 5+ years old and very low credit utilization %.

Nov 17, 2011