Credit Card Reviews

NetSpend® Visa® Prepaid Debit Card

25 Cardholder Reviews

Results 1-10 of 25Results per page: 5 | 10 | 25Page 1 of 3   Previous | Next

Deceptive - i would not give ANY stars Helpful to 2 out of 2 people

My 13 yo daughter got a netspend gift card from her brother. The outside of the package says “No Credit Check. No hidden fees. No surprises.”

What a load of crap that is.

She went to activate it…and guess what, not only does she have to be 18 – which is NO WHERE to be found on the outside packaging – it is requesting her social security number and everything to fill out a credit card application. On top of that is a laundry list of fees, whether or not she uses the card.

The whole stinking card is FULL OF SURPRISES and they are NOT good surprises!!

I called the number and asked for a refund.. and of course… BIG surprise… not only did the card cost $4.95 to purchase, it will cost $6.00 to mail a refund check. The guy said “We will need to charge a fee for mailing.” Well, a stamp is $.42, but for some reason, it’s $6.00 wherever they are.  The moon? Mars?

My next letter is going to be to the attorney general to ask if there is a law against deceptive packaging. I’m quite certain there is.

Jun 24, 2013 Reply

I USED IT, FOR A FEW WEEKS GOT MY DIRECT DEPOSIT SET UP, THEN THEY SEND ME A TEXT ALERTSAYING TO CALL THE 1-800 #, SO I DID. THEY CLOSED MY ACCOUNT (META BANK) THE DAY BEFORE CHRISTMAS EVE SAYING I HAD UNACCEPTABLE SPENDING PRACTICE ! I SAID I AM CHRISTMAS SHOPPING !!! THEN THEY KEPT MY BALANCE ON THE CARD WHICH WAS UNDER $20, THEY SAID FOR FEES !!! DO NOT USE THIS CARD IT IS A SCAM !!!

BOBLANGEJR's review was:

Dec 26, 2009 Reply

BOBLANGEJR(1, 2)

Review by BOBLANGEJR

AVOID THIS CARD AT ALL COST! Helpful to 3 out of 4 people

I usuallt do not write reviews on the internet but I've got to do it for this one. I got a netspend Visa card for my birthday. My friends loaded $200 and gave it to me. They charged $5 for an activation fee and $2.50 transaction fee for each purchase. Additionally, It says $5 will be charged if the card is not used for 90 days. RIDICULOUS! I've never heard of any gift cards charging so many different fees. I am just gonna use the remaining balance and throw it away.

Jul 19, 2013 Reply
negative Helpful to 1 out of 1 people

I have this exact same card,  I don't like the fact that it cost me $1 everytime I use it as credit. $2charge if I use it as debit it does give me the option to get cash back though.  I've read everyones bad expereinces with the card and it sounds to me like everyone has bought it thinking it's a gift card. It's not everyone who has had problems clearly didn't know what they were doing.... Lets face it you obviously don't have good credit or you wouldn't be using a prepaid credit card.  It's cost like $10 a month to not have the purchase fees or you could pay for hte whole year for like $70. Looks like if you set up direct depoist it's only $5/month with no purchase fees.  i made the mistake of paying at the pump $20 it gas plus a $75 hold untill the funds cleared took almost a week.. this was written on their website..

lets face it's nothings free it's pre-paid card, even if you buy a pre-paid gift card your still paying 4.95 everytime you buy a new one.

netSpend also lets you create your own design, you could have a picture of your children or what ever you like of coarse that costs another $10

all and all, there no hidden fee's you just have to read what you buy before you buy it.. or suck it up and pay for a plan it's going to save you money in the long run unless your just using this card to pay a couple of bills

if you use this card to only buy a bottle of soda and bag of chips (small things) this card is junk without a plan..

Sep 03, 2013 Reply
100% Legit. I Earned $80 In March Refs

First of all: FOLLOW DIRECTIONS!

I guarantee you a large percentage of the people crying and complaining about this card being a scam probably didn't follow the directions, or read all of the fees associated with the card.

You can LOAD this card with your original $40 for FREE using a bank account, or PayPal, just DON'T use a netSpend account because it won't work.

Visit my blog and look for my netSpend post. Follow the directions to the T! Also, IF YOU'RE UNABLE TO ENTER YOUR REFERRAL CODE it's because of a website change. You MUST call in customer service BEFORE loading the $40 to insure your referral code is active. This DOES work I've done it myself!

www.mytechnologyhub.com

Referral Code: 6969780045

I am offering a $10 Amazon gift card to everyone who successfully comlpetes the $40 activation/$20 bonus!

unlimited quantities!

WEBDESIGN@MYTECHNOLOGYHUB.COM FOR VERIFICATION - MUST USE OUR REFERRAL CODE

Apr 11, 2014 Reply

Review by infiniteendz

Great Card - But Watch The Fees!

I've been using this card for a couple of months now, and I haven't had any issues or needed to contact customer service.

As a pre-paid card, it's expected to incur fees when loading (Up to $4.95, but can be done FREE), and $1 or $2 transaction fees. These can be avoided by utilizing the referral system, and upgrading your membership which is a piece of cake.

If you'd like a more thorough review of this site, and a detailed instructions on how to get a free $20 upon signup using refferal code: 6969780045 @ http://www.technologyhub.blog.com

Mar 20, 2014 Reply

Review by infiniteendz

Great Card - But Watch The Fees!

Mar 20, 2014 Reply

Review by infiniteendz

problems

Unable to access my account for 2 weeks.  Finally reach them by phone and woman puts me thru many questions.  They have wrong birthdate and address for me, so they wont let me access my account without giving them the wrong information! How would i kmow the wrong birth date they have?   Taking all money out of account as soon as possible.

Feb 24, 2014 Reply
Rippoff!!!! They take your money!!!!

This company steals your money.  The value of the card decreased by almost $5 per month after 6 months and will be zero prior to the expiration date. Absolutely do not buy this card!!!!!

Jan 31, 2014 Reply
It's A Excellent PREPAID Card

I've had a Netspend card since 2009 and I pay $5/mth, but I get my selected Direct Deposit amount 2 days ealier than my bank and I am also allotted a $10 cushion to go over with no extra charges...

Oct 30, 2013 Reply
Results 1-10 of 25Results per page: 5 | 10 | 25Page 1 of 3   Previous | Next

Add Your Review Of NetSpend® Visa® Prepaid Debit Card

Cardholder Rating Distribution (25)

Top Similar Cards

MetaBank issues credit cards and prepaid cards through its bank component, and also through its Meta Payment Systems division, an international electronic payment systems. An array of debit cards, credit cards, and gift cards are issued through MetaBank. Meta Payment Systems also offers credit and prepaid cards with more than 1,000 partner brands operated nationwide. MetaBank is known for its prepaid card and credit products that cater to poor credit, sup-prime consumers.

Headquartered in Storm Lake, Iowa, Meta Financial Group, Inc. is the holding company for MetaBank and Meta Payment Systems. Meta Financial Group's primary banking businesses include deposits, loans, and other financial products and services. Meta Financial Group is a federally-chartered savings bank that caters to Iowa's market areas of Brookings, Central Iowa, Northwest Iowa, and Sioux Empire.

NetSpend® Visa® Prepaid Debit Card