Credit Card Reviews

First PREMIER® Bank Classic Credit Card

Credit Score
  • info This chart details the percent of cardholders that a credit score that currently falls within the given score ranges.
  • info This chart displays the average credit score across all holders of this card, every month, for the past year.
Credit Limit
  • info This chart details the percent of cardholders whose credit limit on this card currently falls within the given amount ranges.
  • info This chart displays the average credit limit of all holders of this card whose current credit score falls within the given score ranges.
  • info This chart displays the average credit limit of all holders of this card whose current age falls within the given age ranges.
  • info This chart details the percent of cardholders whose current balance on this card falls within the given amount ranges.
  • info This chart displays the average current balance for all holders of this card whose current credit score falls within the given score ranges.
  • info This chart displays the average current balance for all holders of this card whose current age falls within the given age ranges.
  • info This chart details the percent of cardholders whose current credit limit utilization for this card falls within the given utilization ranges.
  • info This chart displays the average credit limit utilization for all holders of this card whose current credit score falls within the given score ranges.
  • info This chart displays the average credit limit utilization for all holders of this card whose current age falls within the given age ranges.
60+ Days Past Due Status
  • info This chart displays the percent of holders of this card that were 60+ days past due for the given month for the past year.
  • info This chart displays the percent of holders of this card that are currently 60+ days past due and whose current credit score falls within the given score range.
  • info This chart displays the average amount that is 60+ days past due for holders whose current credit score falls within the given score range.
Age of Cardholder
  • info This chart details the percent of cardholders whose current age falls within the given age ranges.
Sample Size: 1,920
Data Created: October 01, 2013

94 Cardholder Reviews

Results 1-10 of 94Results per page: 5 | 10 | 25Page 1 of 10   Previous | Next

I have one, rebuliding my credit score.  Just by opening it my credit has went up 3 points.  And went up another 6 points after the second month of on time, i pay the full balance, seems to be working to rebuild my credit.  If you pay the balance in full you will not get charged the interest, they have a 25 day grace period.  I don't really mind the high interest, i never carry a balance on it.   I was approved for 300, paid a 45 dollar processing fee, and they charged my card a 75 annual fee.  Way high, but with my credit history, some poeple have to pay to get their credit back on track.  I have this card, 1 orchard classic and two secured cards from applied bank.  they are all reporting on my credit and my score has significantly improved from the last two months.

tjdutch's review was:

Nov 19, 2010 Reply

tjdutch(7, 19)

Review by tjdutch

3 points per month would be 36 points per year.  consider checking your own math before chastizing, eh?

brandeewyne's reply was:

Feb 27, 2013

brandeewyne(1, 4)

Review by brandeewyne

Ok, you build your credit up 3 points a month.   That's 12 points a year.    How many years do you think it'll take you at this rate to get to around 725 to 750 to get good credit?  Ten years would be 120 points.  Now, figure the cost of this card versus the number of years you have to keep it going and you'll be on Social Securitiy before you finish.

Notgoingtobetaken's reply was:

Nov 20, 2011

Notgoingtobetaken(12, 12)

Review by Notgoingtobetaken

Top Contributor

I was approved for this card when I was ready to start rebuilding my credit in 2008.  I was very excited since I hadn't been approved for a credit card since 10 years prior.  I quit even trying for a few years while I cleaned up my mess from college.

Since I got this card I have built my credit up from a 520 to a CK score of 712!  I can say it related to First Premier opening the door for me.  Had they not, I wouldn't have been subsequently approved for two rewards cards, a card that offers excellent benefits, and a department store card.  They have helped me to demonstrate that I now understand how to use credit and will do so responsibly.  My current credit utilization is at 9%.

I was reluctant to cut 1st Premier loose since they are my oldest credit card and I didn't want to lose the $900 in credit that is currently added to my overall availability with this card.  The fees are high though, and I was just approved for a Chase card that gave me $5200 in credit so I will be closing the 1st Premier Card now.

I appreciate their extending me the initial credit, but in order to cut costs since I have proven myself I am letting them go.  The 1st Premier Card is useful for those who can't get credit otherwise.  Once you can do better though, definitely let yourself graduate to a card without such hefty rates and fees.  Good luck everyone!

jennybeth032's review was:

Feb 29, 2012 Reply

jennybeth032(8, 24)

Review by jennybeth032

I advise anyone newly applying for this card or any other card isssued by First Premier Bank to stay away. For new people applying their application states an interest rate of 59.9% and 79.9% plus $45.00 processing fee. $75.00 annual fee. These rates are absolutely insane! If you need to rebuild your credit apply for an orchard bank card!

psychicmike's review was:

Nov 30, 2010 Reply

psychicmike(27, 247)

Review by psychicmike

Top Contributor

I can only say that it has helped me out. YES they have high interest rate but what do you expect when you screwed your credit up to begin with. Most people who have good credit dont see these problems because they have good credit and they always get the best rate. I started off with a 545 and now i am at 700 within two years. I paid my card on time keep a running balance then other card started to come in and I paid those on time as well. YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR YOUR MISTAKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Feb 14, 2012 Reply

Exactly.

markmunsee's reply was:

Jan 17, 2014

markmunsee(4, 1)

Review by markmunsee

You are so much better off getting a secured card with somebody else.   This is a fee-harvesting bank.

christoofar's review was:

Jan 01, 2011 Reply

christoofar(77, 34)

Review by christoofar

Top Contributor

I have paid this card every month on time, I keep great records too, I write down the date that I paid on, the amount I paid, and the confirmation number for the payment. Yet every so often a payment gets deleted and I get a call from a rude collections person stating that I haven't paid my bill. These people are so rude that I finally asked to  speak to a supervisor and then the lady hung up on me. I am paying this card off and closing my account!!

Jun 30, 2012 Reply

Not bad at all. I just take this card just for fun. It was not necessary but only accept the card to pay the fees of the highway and I'm paying in full every week so is not going to be a problem keeping  the card in good standing for a while. Another good account on my credit files. I do not plan to have it for a long time. Just for a year and then I will cancel the card to avoid having to pay the next year fee. My score has grown up quickly. I could say like 120 points accross the board in the last five months. So excellent credit. Wait for me I'll be there soon.

Wichie682's review was:

Dec 22, 2011 Reply

Wichie682(73, 100)

Review by Wichie682

Top Contributor

do you want to give them $220 to open an account or open a secured account and get your money back in a year or so? Run for the friggin hills fast as you can. 59% APR must I say more.

nbirnbaum2's review was:

Nov 19, 2010 Reply

nbirnbaum2(243, 355)

Review by nbirnbaum2

Concerned Citizen & Banker Helpful to 7 out of 8 people

I received this card in the mail to be forwarded to a relative with bad credit.  They have requested that I not send them junk mail.   It stated preapproved $700.00 credit line with an annual fee of $175.00.  I would not pass this on to my relative due to the fees being charged & the APR.  I have been in the financial field in different capacities for over 30 years & I feel that this business practice should be considered criminal.  I understand people need to rebuild credit scores after credit problems, but this is not the way to accomplish that.  I feel sorry for anyone who thinks this is the answer & would reccomend that they get some credit counseling.  I would be embarrassed to be associated with this bank in any capacity, on staff or as a customer.  Shame on you, First Premier, for taking advantage of persons already struggling.  Requirements for rating by # of stars is rediculous.  Zero was not available.

Dec 06, 2012 Reply
A horrible card. Helpful to 3 out of 3 people

You are better off with a different card then this one.The fees are way to high.They take out monthly fees just for having the card.I got a 700.00 card and it was already activated when I got it in the mail.Thank God it got to the right place or someone else could of got it and used it.On top of that they are very rude on the phone dispite how kind you try to be with them.They are professional scam artist to say the less.I will be paying this off asap.I keep putting a 100.00 on there monthly to pay it off and by the time they take out all there charges for everything I am down like 54.00 its a horible cycle and I don't even have the card anymore so that just shows you how high the rates are and how they really try to charge you for everything they can.

Jan 22, 2013 Reply
Results 1-10 of 94Results per page: 5 | 10 | 25Page 1 of 10   Previous | Next

Add Your Review Of First PREMIER® Bank Classic Credit Card

Cardholder Rating Distribution (94)

Top Similar Cards

First PREMIER Bank offers a variety of traditional and non-traditional services such as checking, savings, loans, Treasury Services, and more. Personal banking products include checking, savings, CDs, ATM and check cards, personal loans, lines of credit, mortgages, retirement planning, brokerage services, trust & investment services, and more. First PREMIER Bank’s website also provides customers online solutions such as online banking, online statements, bill pay, online loan applications, and trust online. Customer service is available over the phone, online, and in branches statewide. First PREMIER Bank has bank locations across eastern South Dakota.

Headquartered in Sioux Falls, South Dakota, First PREMIER Bank is sister company to PREMIER Bankcard, and both are under the holding company of United National Corporation.

First PREMIER® Bank Classic Credit Card