Chase Freedom® Reviews

• Balance Transfer Intro APR 0%* intro for 15 Months
  • Purchase Intro APR 0%* intro for 15 Months

Our Take

With great rewards and more, Chase Freedom® is a well-rounded credit card for consumers with good to excellent credit. It’s also one of the most popular credit cards on Credit Karma.

What to Like

Chase Freedom®’s cash back program includes 1% cash back on every purchase, as well as 5% cash back in rotating bonus categories like gas or groceries. Cardholders can also get a $150 cash back bonus after making $500 in purchases in the first three months. The Chase Freedom® offers a 0% introductory APR on both purchases and balance transfers for the first 15 months.

Look Out For

This card features a 3% foreign transaction fee, and a $5 or 5% (whichever is greater) balance transfer fee. It's important to stay within your budget while aiming for that $150 cash back bonus.

Mar 04, 2016
Shocked 2x
ThankfulForCK Cardholder

I was clueless when it came to credit and how it worked. Thought I was screwed forever because of mistakes I made early on. Every now and then I would apply for a store card and always get denied. Received a Chase freedom invitation email and said "why not?". Probably the first time I'd applied for a CC in 2+ years. Instantly approved for $500! Whaaaattt??? That was the first shocker.!! Signed up for CK and had a 530ish score with 2 collections. Paid the collections off in full, did tons of homework on my own, got some advice from a friend and brought my score up 100 points in three months. Applied for a CO quicksilver and was approved for $300.

Fast forward five months(eight months from when I was first approved for the CF) and I'm sitting with a TU:694 and EQ:682. QS limit was just raised to $800 and I was debating on whether or not to request a CLI for my CF. After calling twice and backing out both times, I decided to go for it. When the lady on the phone asked me how much of an increase I wanted I first said $1000, then switched to $500, then explained I was a little nervous about the ordeal and wasn't sure how much I should request. She then asked "You wanna just leave it blank and see what happens?" and I said "Sure". The next words I heard through the operator's smile was "you've been approved for a $5000 increase bringing your limit up to $5500." Shocker number two! I thought it was going to take my at least another year to get a limit that high! Third time was truly a charm!!

Thanks to CF's insane approval and everything I've learned from CK's site--especially these cardholder's reviews-- I'm on the road to great credit!!! Such a friggin relief!!!!!! :) :) :)

Oct 28, 2011
JackHarkness Cardholder

I had two Chase credit cards ($5000 for one and $8500 for the other), with guaranteed 6.9% interest rates "for the life of the balance transfers". Credit limits were slowly raised as I used and paid the cards.

I was never late, never overlimit. Paid on time *every* month, slightly more than the minimums.

Then, I came into an unexpected windfall and paid off ~$5000 of the $8500 card. The next month I logged in and discovered that the credit limits for *both* cards had been lowered to the existing balances (give or take $50-$100).

They'd also raised my interest rates to 29.99% for both cards.

i'd had the cards for several years at that point, perfect payment histories and carried a balance.

I called customer service, and they couldn't've been more terrible and rude.

They said it was my debt-to-income ratio and utilization. I replied that they'd made my utilization much worse by lowering my credit lines. I also asked why they were taking punitive action when I'd *not* been late or over-limit; they replied that the small print said they could do whatever they wanted based on "perception of risk".

I'd never been late or overlimit on ANY of my accounts with ANY lender, in over 12 years.

I asked why my "perceived risk" was worse, when I'd never had *any* issues with *anyone*, and my income had actually steadily *increased* over the years.

They replied debt-to-income ratio and utilization were outside the national averages, so I was perceived to be at great risk of defaulting/declaring bankruptcy.

After more than 12 years of perfect history!

I asked them to reconsider, as the increased interest rate was against their promises, and that I had been a good customer for several years.

The CSR basically said I wasn't worth anything to them (despite paying interest faithfully all that time, albeit NO late or overlimit fees). They weren't earning enough on my cards, so they were taking punitive action in hopes I'd pay off or transfer out my balances, and stop being their customer so someone else would carry my "perceived risk".

I asked whether they wouldn't rather have my regular interest and faithful payments instead of someone who would be late or default. The CSR said it was inevitable that *I* would default, and they wanted shut of me.

I asked several times to speak to a supervisor (something that *no* other call center has ever denied me when needed - I'm someone who will actually ask for one to *praise* a good CSR, as I work in tech-support myself), and the CSR indicated that there were none. I repeated and he said it wasn't worth their time to talk to me, I wasn't worth it, and that the CSR was the only one I was ever going to be able to speak to.

They succeeded. I transferred all my balances out to a Capital One card, which I then slowly but steadily paid off, and am now using regularly (charge, carry a bit to improve credit score, pay off - repeat).

*Capital One* has been nothing but wonderful to me.

I would *never* recommend Chase. I recommend Capital One very highly. 9.9% instead of 6.9%, but it's across the board instead of just balance transfers.

Chase only wants either very rich clients or very poor ones that will generate fees. They don't want the little (or middle) guy. And their Customer "Service" was the *worst* I've ever encountered, bar NONE.

May 24, 2017
Accepted with 720!!
Wspwes Cardholder

I got a $2500 limit on the card with a score of 720. I am 19. Great card!!

May 23, 2017
One big-time points earner
atonpitbull Cardholder

I applied in December 2016 and was given the pending message. I called reconsideration the next day (they needed the verify my identity) and was immediately approved for a $5700 limit.

A few months later the Freedom Unlimited came out, so I product changed this card over to it. After about six months since the account was opened, Chase automatically increased it to $7200.

In January of this year I decided to product change back to the Freedom card. I really missed those 5x bonus categories and it was a better fit with my other cards. I balance my spend across two Amex cards, the Chase Sapphire Preferred and this card.

By concentrating on using this card for only 5x spend, I'm able to rack up an impressive amount Ultimate Rewards points while still earning a good amount of Amex and SPG points as well.

It's such a points-earning powerhouse, I consider it an essential card to have if you already have the Chase Sapphire Preferred or plan on getting it.

I've always paid in full either before statement closing, or the day after. I've had no problems whatsoever with the bank or the card.

Here's a tip:  Have the bank set all of your cards to close on the same date. That way you just go down the list and pay them off all at once. Easy peasy.

If you aren't paying in full, you're looking at the wrong card. Rewards cards are for people who pay in full every month. That's why they have a high apr. Paying interest only negates the rewards.

I hope this helps and have a great day!

May 23, 2017
They will never lower your APR
Anonymous Cardholder

Quick background: 720 credit score, never had a late payment, utilization on all my cards under 3% except this card. I have not opened up any new cards since this I got this card about 2 years ago. I received an offer letter in the mail and brought it to a Chase bank and the approval process took less than 5 minutes. They were great to work with. They offered 0% for 18 months with a credit limit of $5,400.

Now two years later, I figured it was time that I could get a lower APR. I took advantage of the 0% offer and now I'm carrying a high balance with interest charges. My APR is 23.74%. I called them and explained that I've been a great and punctual customer and that other cards were offering me 12.99% APR with low transfer rates and that I would have to close this account if they couldn't lower my APR. I was rejected twice, by the customer service rep and his supervisor. They both claimed, "we don't accept interest negotiations. Your APR is in its lowest bracket. You will only get a chance at a lower APR with your review." I kept asking when the reviews were and they kept giving me different answers. First it was "every year" and then when I told them I hadn't gotten one review yet in almost two years, the answer changed to "it's every so many years." The lowest APR is around a 15% with this card so I don't know why they're telling me I'm in the lowest bracket.

Overall, this is a great card for its promotional offers. I give the promotional offer a 5/5 but customer service a 3/5. As long as you stay within your 0% offer and don't go crazy spending like I did, you will love it. Take advantage of the 0% APR when you need to pay off other cards or buy large ticketed things for your house or other necessities. It's easy to manage your payments and 1%-5% rewards in the app. However, make sure you are fine with the after promotion interest rate because that may never be changed.

May 22, 2017
Great!
Anonymous Cardholder

I LOVE this card and the rewards and perks that come with it. When I applied I was instantly approved for 10k with a CR ranging 750-780. Then a few months later, they increased my limit to 15k... I love this card and use it and pay it off reguarly.

Apr 27, 2017
Combine Freedom with Sapphire
Anonymous Cardholder

I applied for Chase Freedom to combine UR points with my Chase Sapphire card. I wasn't immediately approved; however, three days later I noticed when I signed into my Sapphire account I had been approved for $9,000 CL. I've been extremely pleased with my Sapphire card and am looking forward to earning points through my new Freedom account to maximize UR points for travel.

Apr 24, 2017
NOT a financial partner

AVOID AVOID AVOID  BEWARE  UNFAIR PRACTICES  UNFAIR UNFAIR BEWARE

I've been a customer for more than 10 years.  Like many others I was hit by a major life event and found myself needing to pay thousands to Chase in interest.  I never defaulted, I never exeeded my limit and I treated Chase as my prefered creditor, always paying them before others and even tightening my belt rather than miss any payments.  While trying to recover and working hard to increase my credit score to a point before the setback, Chase decided to lower my Credit limits without cause.  They said that I have recently spent too much money on credit cards.  Yes I had a high utilization across the board but I had just turned the corner to start moving forward.  They ignored the fact that my mortgage was just recently paid in full as well!  BUT Not only did they lower my limits, they closed the gap that I did have and set my limits to the current balance.  CREATING AN ARTIFICIAL 100% UTILIZATION!   They don't care about your history with them.  They don't care about their customers.  AVOID AT ALL COSTS!!!

They CHANGE THE RULES even if you are paying on time and staying under your limit.

CHASE PLAYS BY THEIR OWN RULES!!! NOT INTERSTED IN YOU OR THE MONEY YOU PAY IN INTEREST!

Apr 24, 2017
Terrible
charlesloyd Cardholder

They wait to use half of your balance and then they will Cut your credit limit down to what your balances so it looks like you have a maxed out credit card

May 24, 2017

I use to work for American Express they were notorious for doing such things. This was in 2009, they were requiring balances to be paid in full no minimum payments. You had some long long long time loyal customers talking 10-30 years. I seen some w/ credit limits of 25k-100k.. No wonder people got rich so quickly start an online business or retail business using this method until they started cutting balances in half destroying credit, particularly small businesses as well

Apr 18, 2017
Approved Instantly
MsMack41 Cardholder

I was approved online instantly with a 687 Experian score, which is what they pulled, along with a 658 Transunion score. Approved $2,500 limit. I only had a PNC secured $300. Credit history length was 17 years with auto loan, college loan good standing. One charge off Care credit card from 2013 on Transunion. Also Transunion Time warner cable collections $174 dated 2014 and Progressive $184 dated 2014. I was very excited!!!

Apr 04, 2017
VISA through Fidelity Investments
ronirich Cardholder

2% bonus on all purchases automatically deposited to your account.

Apr 22, 2017

Wrong card dude!

Mar 29, 2017
An Excellent card Option
Anonymous Cardholder

Apply and I Was Approved Immediately, after confirming My Identtity with a Credit Line $4,000. I recommend 100%

Chase Freedom®