Chase Freedom® Reviews

• Balance Transfer Intro APR 0%* intro for 15 Months
  • Purchase Intro APR 0%* intro for 15 Months

Our Take

With great rewards and more, Chase Freedom® is a well-rounded credit card for consumers with good to excellent credit. It’s also one of the most popular credit cards on Credit Karma.

What to Like

Chase Freedom®’s cash back program includes 1% cash back on every purchase, as well as 5% cash back in rotating bonus categories like gas or groceries. Cardholders can also get a $150 cash back bonus after making $500 in purchases in the first three months. The Chase Freedom® offers a 0% introductory APR on both purchases and balance transfers for the first 15 months.

Look Out For

This card features a 3% foreign transaction fee, and a $5 or 5% (whichever is greater) balance transfer fee. It's important to stay within your budget while aiming for that $150 cash back bonus.

Mar 04, 2016
Shocked 2x
ThankfulForCK Cardholder

I was clueless when it came to credit and how it worked. Thought I was screwed forever because of mistakes I made early on. Every now and then I would apply for a store card and always get denied. Received a Chase freedom invitation email and said "why not?". Probably the first time I'd applied for a CC in 2+ years. Instantly approved for $500! Whaaaattt??? That was the first shocker.!! Signed up for CK and had a 530ish score with 2 collections. Paid the collections off in full, did tons of homework on my own, got some advice from a friend and brought my score up 100 points in three months. Applied for a CO quicksilver and was approved for $300.

Fast forward five months(eight months from when I was first approved for the CF) and I'm sitting with a TU:694 and EQ:682. QS limit was just raised to $800 and I was debating on whether or not to request a CLI for my CF. After calling twice and backing out both times, I decided to go for it. When the lady on the phone asked me how much of an increase I wanted I first said $1000, then switched to $500, then explained I was a little nervous about the ordeal and wasn't sure how much I should request. She then asked "You wanna just leave it blank and see what happens?" and I said "Sure". The next words I heard through the operator's smile was "you've been approved for a $5000 increase bringing your limit up to $5500." Shocker number two! I thought it was going to take my at least another year to get a limit that high! Third time was truly a charm!!

Thanks to CF's insane approval and everything I've learned from CK's site--especially these cardholder's reviews-- I'm on the road to great credit!!! Such a friggin relief!!!!!! :) :) :)

Oct 28, 2011
JackHarkness Cardholder

I had two Chase credit cards ($5000 for one and $8500 for the other), with guaranteed 6.9% interest rates "for the life of the balance transfers". Credit limits were slowly raised as I used and paid the cards.

I was never late, never overlimit. Paid on time *every* month, slightly more than the minimums.

Then, I came into an unexpected windfall and paid off ~$5000 of the $8500 card. The next month I logged in and discovered that the credit limits for *both* cards had been lowered to the existing balances (give or take $50-$100).

They'd also raised my interest rates to 29.99% for both cards.

i'd had the cards for several years at that point, perfect payment histories and carried a balance.

I called customer service, and they couldn't've been more terrible and rude.

They said it was my debt-to-income ratio and utilization. I replied that they'd made my utilization much worse by lowering my credit lines. I also asked why they were taking punitive action when I'd *not* been late or over-limit; they replied that the small print said they could do whatever they wanted based on "perception of risk".

I'd never been late or overlimit on ANY of my accounts with ANY lender, in over 12 years.

I asked why my "perceived risk" was worse, when I'd never had *any* issues with *anyone*, and my income had actually steadily *increased* over the years.

They replied debt-to-income ratio and utilization were outside the national averages, so I was perceived to be at great risk of defaulting/declaring bankruptcy.

After more than 12 years of perfect history!

I asked them to reconsider, as the increased interest rate was against their promises, and that I had been a good customer for several years.

The CSR basically said I wasn't worth anything to them (despite paying interest faithfully all that time, albeit NO late or overlimit fees). They weren't earning enough on my cards, so they were taking punitive action in hopes I'd pay off or transfer out my balances, and stop being their customer so someone else would carry my "perceived risk".

I asked whether they wouldn't rather have my regular interest and faithful payments instead of someone who would be late or default. The CSR said it was inevitable that *I* would default, and they wanted shut of me.

I asked several times to speak to a supervisor (something that *no* other call center has ever denied me when needed - I'm someone who will actually ask for one to *praise* a good CSR, as I work in tech-support myself), and the CSR indicated that there were none. I repeated and he said it wasn't worth their time to talk to me, I wasn't worth it, and that the CSR was the only one I was ever going to be able to speak to.

They succeeded. I transferred all my balances out to a Capital One card, which I then slowly but steadily paid off, and am now using regularly (charge, carry a bit to improve credit score, pay off - repeat).

*Capital One* has been nothing but wonderful to me.

I would *never* recommend Chase. I recommend Capital One very highly. 9.9% instead of 6.9%, but it's across the board instead of just balance transfers.

Chase only wants either very rich clients or very poor ones that will generate fees. They don't want the little (or middle) guy. And their Customer "Service" was the *worst* I've ever encountered, bar NONE.

Jun 27, 2017
Good to start with
neuroticdave Cardholder

Credit Karma gave me good approval odds so I went for it. Application process took all of 30 seconds and I was instantly approved for $2000. CK has me at 629/661. The card itself came quickly, and the one interaction I had with their customer service was great. The app works awesome and so far no complaints. Seems like a good card to start with and the $150 bonus and no interest for 15 months is a plus.

Jun 25, 2017
Permanent Place in Your Wallet
CaptArgonaut Cardholder

I've had this card since 2012. It was my first credit card. And I have to say, it has been one of my favorites and will remain in my wallet indefinitely. The rewards you receive for every transaction are clearly calculated and shown to you on Chase's online portal. They are incredibly simple to redeem AND flexible. Cash Back, Gift Cards, Statement Credit, OR Transfer to your Chase Sapphire Preferred/Reserve card - and ALL of that WITHOUT devaluation. That CANNOT be said for AMEX, Citi, nor Capital One. The rotating categories make it a powerful card, and one you never want to be left without.

Since I applied when I finished college, I do not remember my Credit Score(s) from that time, but my limit started at $1800. Now, it is up to $3300. Not high, but since you only get 5% per $1500 spent per Quarter in each rotating category, I do not see nor care about a higher limit for this card. Once, and if, I reach the $1500 threshold, I'll move that category spend to a higher earning card than the default 1%.

Jun 15, 2017
Approved
Jpmast Cardholder

Take note, I have a limited credit history. Student loans 4.5 years. Credit cards only a year. Credit scores 740. Income only 40k. Approved 4.5k instantly. Chase has never denied me or let me down. DON'T MESS WITH CITI.

Jun 12, 2017
The Real Review
Jpmast Cardholder

My credit scores are both 740. I only make roughly 40,000 a year and was approved for 4,500 with a very limited credit history. So here's your real review!

Jun 11, 2017
some how got approved
Ouchdee Cardholder

640cs. Approved for a thousand bucks. Good enough. Never really big on using credit cards.

Jun 06, 2017
Not worth it, high interest fee
Anonymous Cardholder

I was happy the first 15 months with paying no interest fees, I mean come on who wouldn't be? Yet after the 15 months were over I started paying interest which is ridiculously high!!!! Every monthly payment I make more than half is covering my interest fees alone & keep in mind my balance is close too $700 & my credit score is in the 720's.

As of now I am looking for other alternatives & no longer using this card!

Ps. I have talked to Chase & questioned as to why my interest rate is so high & they can't seem to give me an answer. Seems as they are trying to recover the interest fees for the 15 months that I didn't pay interests.

Jun 13, 2017

Don't carry a balance & you'll never have to worry about the interest.

Inconvenient
Cryogenicguy Cardholder

I had this card for 45 minutes before taking the hit of closing the account. The company pulled information from over a decade ago (old phone, email, I've also since legally changed my name) instead of using my current information, which I obviously had to give them when I applied. They changed my contact information alright but then said that even though my account was opened just recently, two years following my legal name change(which is changed on every account, email, etc), I would still have to submit my legal name change documents to them before they could change it. However, I would have to show up in person at a branch. The nearest branch to me was over an hour away. I explained this abd the customer service rep said that was the only way. No email, no certified mail, no fax, etc. So I closed the account. If this is the level of difficulty and ridiculousness involved in having a card, just within the first 45 minutes, this isn't a relationship I want to keep. Deuces Chase.

May 24, 2017
Accepted with 720!!
Wspwes Cardholder

I got a $2500 limit on the card with a score of 720. I am 19. Great card!!

May 23, 2017
One big-time points earner
atonpitbull Cardholder

I applied in December 2016 and was given the pending message. I called reconsideration the next day (they needed the verify my identity) and was immediately approved for a $5700 limit.

A few months later the Freedom Unlimited came out, so I product changed this card over to it. After about six months since the account was opened, Chase automatically increased it to $7200.

In January of this year I decided to product change back to the Freedom card. I really missed those 5x bonus categories and it was a better fit with my other cards. I balance my spend across two Amex cards, the Chase Sapphire Preferred and this card.

By concentrating on using this card for only 5x spend, I'm able to rack up an impressive amount Ultimate Rewards points while still earning a good amount of Amex and SPG points as well.

It's such a points-earning powerhouse, I consider it an essential card to have if you already have the Chase Sapphire Preferred or plan on getting it.

I've always paid in full either before statement closing, or the day after. I've had no problems whatsoever with the bank or the card.

Here's a tip:  Have the bank set all of your cards to close on the same date. That way you just go down the list and pay them off all at once. Easy peasy.

If you aren't paying in full, you're looking at the wrong card. Rewards cards are for people who pay in full every month. That's why they have a high apr. Paying interest only negates the rewards.

I hope this helps and have a great day!

May 23, 2017
They will never lower your APR
Anonymous Cardholder

Quick background: 720 credit score, never had a late payment, utilization on all my cards under 3% except this card. I have not opened up any new cards since this I got this card about 2 years ago. I received an offer letter in the mail and brought it to a Chase bank and the approval process took less than 5 minutes. They were great to work with. They offered 0% for 18 months with a credit limit of $5,400.

Now two years later, I figured it was time that I could get a lower APR. I took advantage of the 0% offer and now I'm carrying a high balance with interest charges. My APR is 23.74%. I called them and explained that I've been a great and punctual customer and that other cards were offering me 12.99% APR with low transfer rates and that I would have to close this account if they couldn't lower my APR. I was rejected twice, by the customer service rep and his supervisor. They both claimed, "we don't accept interest negotiations. Your APR is in its lowest bracket. You will only get a chance at a lower APR with your review." I kept asking when the reviews were and they kept giving me different answers. First it was "every year" and then when I told them I hadn't gotten one review yet in almost two years, the answer changed to "it's every so many years." The lowest APR is around a 15% with this card so I don't know why they're telling me I'm in the lowest bracket.

Overall, this is a great card for its promotional offers. I give the promotional offer a 5/5 but customer service a 3/5. As long as you stay within your 0% offer and don't go crazy spending like I did, you will love it. Take advantage of the 0% APR when you need to pay off other cards or buy large ticketed things for your house or other necessities. It's easy to manage your payments and 1%-5% rewards in the app. However, make sure you are fine with the after promotion interest rate because that may never be changed.

Jun 06, 2017

May look into a balance transfer?
Sounds like it would be worth it.

?>