Great for uncomplicated cash back††

$0

1.7

Dec 01 2019
Strange but good card

The Hongkong Shanghai Bank has an interesting history. (They're actually British and started when Hongkong was part of the empire, long before they changed it to "Hong Kong.") Needless to say, they're huge in Europe and China. This was my fourth card, and they stunned me by announcing my approval with a $6000 limit, so it's actually a World Mastercard. My Discover and Quicksilver Visa started me at $1000 and Amex started at $4000, so that was quite a surprise. It only loses a star for two quirks: first, payment has to be set up using the website. Their app seems primitive--it crashed instantly at first, but I have a Pixel2 that just updated to the latest OS, so it took a couple days before an update came through that made it work. The other quirk is that they don't report to TransUnion at all, so my credit scores are forever off-kilter. On the plus side, while I had to use the app's messaging system to change my due date, they responded quickly and professionally. One other strange thing: this is the only credit card I've seen so far that has no invisible UV markings! Nevertheless, with the 3% intro cash back and cool look, I'm getting lots of use from my lucky lion.

Dec 19 2018
Dont do it!!!!

7 calls in 3 plus hours of holding, I have gotten nowhere. Just got my HSBC credit card last week, activated it and went to use it only to be declined. I call HSBC customer service and was told that my card was blocked due to security or fraud. I've never even used the card before. They transferred me to the security fraud dept and I've been on hold ever since. After 7 calls and 3 plus hours of holding I am ready to just close the account, but guess what? I can't even do that until I talk to the security fraud dept. By far the biggest joke of a company, up there with Sprint and Comcast. Would not recommend! Wish I had read these reviews before I applied for this ** card. So ****ed I could punch a ** hole in the wall. HSBC is a joke and does not value you or your time.

Jul 02 2020
they canceled my card for non use

asked them to reactivate. no response. only $2500 credit line, but didn't want it to effect my 817 credit score.. Bye .. wont see my business again

Jun 26 2020
Worst experience

everything about this card was disappointing. the website interface and user experience was terrible. hard to use, hard to navigate, hard to understand, hard to setup payments, hard everything. i cancelled it as soon as i could.

Mar 31 2020
eh

I've tried appling to this card 3 times, application was dennied because they couldn't verify my identity. photo copied they my ID give they my social # and for some reason they still couldn't verify my identity smh.

Mar 27 2020
Love This Card

I get great points, and I use this card everyday and pay the bill in full bi weekly. The points make everything. You need to use a website to make payments since the app doesn't have that feature unless you have a HSBC account. The points totally outweigh the issue of having to pay on a website and not an app. Also I've never had any iasues with customer service.

Mar 18 2020
Very useful to have

Was a simple application process once approved and I received my card I was able to go online and set up my online account with doing several I also had to call the number they gave me for a live chat to finish all my security purposes then it was good to gone

Mar 09 2020

Application process was easy but couldn't get the card activated. After several web chat sessions, numerous phone calls with multiple departments and hours of my time the card still isn't activated. Worst customer support experience ever, thank goodness I wasn't traveling to a foreign country or having a crisis that I needed service for.

Feb 25 2020
Difficult to get cashback

Cashback can be redeemed only in 25 dollar units. If you accumulated 49 dollars worth of cashback you can say goodbye to 24 dollars.

Feb 19 2020
complicated.. made for money laundering

Stay away!

Feb 09 2020
It's a cool card

Honestly, it's a cool card. The only things that bugs me about this card is the payment system and the overly security. I get the fact that this bank isn't originated from the US, but when you come to a US Market, you should make it easy for ppl to put payments on their accts. The HSBC US apps are soooooooooo useless. You can only view transactions, limits, and contact support. You'd have to go onto their website to make the payment. I've only had this card since early Dec 2019, so I don't have too much experience with them. And I've read plenty of bad reviews regarding customer service. Hopefully I won't run into all that in the future.

Feb 08 2020