Great for building your credit history††

$0*

3.9

Oct 08 2012
Excellent so far

I recently received my Fingerhut card with a credit limit of $400.00 in July 2012. Since then I made two payments and Fingerhut increase my credit limit to $800.00, without me asking for one. I was surprised, and say thank you. My FICO score is around 600.

Mar 21 2014
Hard credit hit, hard to place order

I applied for this because it was recommended here by CK and other reviewers. Had a CK score of 615, immediately went down to 594. *Hard, hard hit*. Got approved for the Freshstart program, so I have to pre-pay a $30.00 deposit on a item minimum of $50.00. I tried to place an order on Fingerhut site and pay that thirty bucks. Would not take order due to their glitch, yet hit my bank account twice with holds that lasted almost a week. My credit union said Fingerhut must fax them a release, Fingerhut says credit union must contact them. So that's why hold went on for week. Called and tried to place order when those holds were finally released . Figured it might work better by phone than online. Customer service rep, who barely spoke English, told me the payment site was down for a while. Waited a few days, today went on their site to place order, to find a notice the entire site is down for a few days. Crud. I had planned to buy something just over then minimum $50.00 limit. Then occasionally buy something inexpensive to keep account active. This entire episode has been very disappointing, including a previous attempt to post my experiences here, as my original posting seemed to disappear. I will try, once again, to contact Fingerhut something next week when the site is supposely working. A two week pain and stretching towards three weeks. If I had to do this over again, I sure wouldn't bother with Fingerhut. I would suggest you don't either. But since I've already taken the credit hit, I will try for a while longer, and let you all know.

Apr 26 2020
Not a long term fix...

While this account did play a role in my becoming more disciplined with making on time payments, as soon as I finished my last payment they closed my account. I made every payment on time and even made the last payment a bit early. Fingerhut closing my account as soon as I paid it brought my credit score down 5 points. That does NOT help.

Apr 20 2020

Apr 18 2020
A Great way to build credit

I remember buying from Fingerhut in the 90's. Now as I'm starting to rebuild my credit I responded to one of their offers I received in the mail and have been extremely satisfied. They started me with $400 and quickly raised the limit to $1,100. They report to the credit bureau's and one of the best things I like about them is being able to pay them with my debit card vs electronic withdraw from my checking. It makes is so much more convenient to pay them. What I've bought from them has been of good quality, and I've been very happy on that end. Since the odds are good that they will give you a chance to re-establish yourself, try it. I think you will see your scores go up, I have.

Apr 17 2020
Lowers your credit rating

At first it’s nice because your credit goes up. But then eventually they will give you an increase of state $800. They tell you that you need to purchase something $800 to keep your $800. If you purchase something that’s $400 they will take $400 away from you which lowers your credit limit and your credit rating

Apr 17 2020
Great

Awesome card for people who had credit score issues

Apr 11 2020
GREAT

THIS WAS THE FIRST CARD I GOT! THANKFUL TO CREDIT KARMA FOR PROVIDING THIS FREE SERVICE AND RECOMMENDING THIS GREAT STARTER CARD.

Apr 08 2020
Got denied but says excellent approval

Card showed up on credit karma as excellent approval and I still got denied without an explanation.

Apr 08 2020
Credit booster

It helps me with my credit. It shows my on time monthly payments. It comes up as a positive & keeps me above water with my score. Just don’t use over 30% of the credit they give you

Jul 20 2017
They screwed me over...

I'm going to start by saying, this was not completely fingerhut's fault...but it was certainly wrong. Last time I had purchased items with fingerhut wa close to a hear ago (June 2016). I had thought I had finished paying off my balance, my fault...I should of double checked. Fast forward to a few days ago, I'm checking on my credit report...making sure everything was still looking good...when I noticed I had a delinquent account. Did some digging to find out fingerhut called it in. No phone call, no letter by mail, no email. No, I find out through my credit report. I'm sorry, yes I should of checked and made sure I was in good standing. But it is also wrong for a creditor to allow an account to go on for so long, without calling or sending a letter. At least something before just selling my account to a collection agency. As soon as I found out I got the info I need to pay it off. If fingerhut would have at least tried to contact me, I would have paid! And now, because of fingerhut' disorderly system...I'm going to hav a delinquent mark for seven years. Thank you for ruining my credit. Real great company you are.

Mar 29 2017
Junk

They will steal your money and cancel your order

Great for building your credit history††