Discover it® Secured Credit Card Reviews

Cardholders' Choice i

Nov 11, 2016
A lovely card for beginners.
prism21 Cardholder

Love this thing. I'm 23 and VERY new to credit.

- As of now, my scores are 729TransUnion & 715EQ (Through my Discover account FICO tells me I'm at 739, not sure whats up with that)

- My only other card is the Open Sky secured card with a limit of $200.

- Opened that one around summer 2015

- in late April 2016 I applied for this one, the secured Discover card, gave a $300 deposit for a $300 credit limit (wasnt ready to apply for a regular credit card, I had a strong feeling I'd be denied despite begin extremely responsible with my OpenSky card)

- Began using the Discover It Secured card monthly in May 2016

- by this month, November 4th, 2016 to be exact, I recieved a letter in the mail congratulating me, along with a $300 security deposit refund check, they also increased my limit to $750

I make less than $11,000 a year (I know, lame, I work part-time retail) so I really only wanted a couple credit cards to build credit so I'll be at least somewhat established in the credit world by the time I need good credit for something adult-y, therefore, I'm more than content with my new limit of $750 because I pretty much ONLY use it **ONCE A MONTH** to get gas. That's the only thing I've ever used my both of my cards for, and I usually pay my balance 1-3 days after I use the card. I don't wait for the statement. Not sure if this even helps to build credit but that's how I do it. Anyway, I totally didnt expect a bump in my $300 credit line at all, so it's really awesome that after 6 months i got my $300 back AND they added $450 to my limit. Nice to know they ackowledged my responsibility as a cardholder. THANKS, DISCOVER!

ONE MORE THING: totally insignificant but the card itself is gorgeous. I love looking at it. The deep silver color with rainbow reflect and orange rim. Very new age and hip!

To anyone who is still reading this, I hope you have a wonderful day. :)

Good for secured card, slow to upgrading
Chithe3rd Cardholder

I was a senior in college (21) when I got this card in April, my first credit card. I did not have any credit (thank God that I escaped college without student loans) so I got a line for $300. I appreciated the cash back and the fact that I can see my FICO score. However, I could not see my credit score until October 2016-- a month after I got my Target $300 credit card. I will return to this point later. I have a FICO score of 751 and Vantage score of 715 and Discover card still did not upgrade me, after a year. I started getting concerned because I wanted a credit card with a higher limit, but I did not want to have more than 2 credit cards. I was loyal to Discover and called the customer service asking why I have not been upgraded yet. The customer service was nice but did not directly answer my question. She told me that I will be evaluated during the next cycle (in April). I changed my personal info to reflect that I was making good money.

Next month, the same excuse (this time May). Long story short, I decided to get my Equifax credit report from the free annual website. Prior to perhaps February 2017, I thought I had to pay everything off BEFORE the statement. Bad move because my cards did not show the credit bureaus a balance. However, my Target card still showed the credit bureaus my "actual payments" which showed that I was using the Target card. My Discover card DID NOT. I called the customer service again and the representative said they should be reporting it automatically and that they would try to fix this glitch (they did not give me a date even though I requested for one, so I will call them shortly to see if they fixed the problem). Which made sense why I was not able to see my FICO score until October. I got my Target card in September but got my Discover card in April. I got tired waiting for Discover, so I recently applied for Chase Freedom Unlimited... I got $7,000 credit access line! I will keep using my Discover card to keep my credit going but it's definitely going to be the least utilized card in my wallet.

For a secured card, it is really good with its cash back and FICO score. However, I hate that I had to go through all those loops to try to get a real credit card from Discover. I still have not gotten a Discover card or my money back, btw. Other credit cards were willing to take the chance on me.

Jul 23, 2017
Pabrown210 Cardholder

Secured Card took two years to convert to a unsecured card. Why did I wait so long with discover and not switch to another card?  Customer service, rate, and the app discover offers. Great company.

Jun 21, 2017
Love this card.
Anonymous Cardholder

I've had fairly bad credit for a while. As I grow older (and it's unfortunate it took me this long), I realize more and more how important it is to not screw around with credit.

I began efforts to improve my credit about a year and a half ago. I applied and was approved for multiple high risk credit cards, specifically First Premier x2, CreditOne x1 and Total Visa x1. They've all been instrumental in improving my credit score. I would always carry a high balance on these cards, between 50-90%. I made the minimum payments in a timely manner, but, again, always carried a balance. My credit improved over time, but very, very marginally.

Maybe I started out around 550 and after a year of high utilization and on time payments, I raised my score by about 20 points.

About a year ago, I applied for the Discover It secured card. This would have been with around a 560-570 I believe. I paid the minimum deposit, and like my other cards, maintained a high utilization.

This card is exceptional for two reasons: (1) Discover will return your deposit if you can show good credit management after I believe 7 months (i.e. on time payments and low-ish utilization) and (2) this card can matriculate into an unsecured card at the time your deposit is returned.

This was my experience.

After 1 year, I still had not receieved my deposit back. This was part of my test so I could eventually make a post here. I always maintained a VERY high utiliations for months 7+, between 70-100%. During month 12, I lowered my utilization to 70%--still not notice of a deposit return. I lowered my utilization during month 13 to 40-50%, always on time payments. This was the range that did it FOR ME (may not apply to everyone).

A few business days after my statement close date, I checked my Discover app after waking up and saw that I have a credit limit increase from $200 (my secured line of credit) to $1250. Mind you, that's a 4-factor increase. I received an email about two business days later informing me my deposit would be returned. It was about 5 business days after that email.

Since then, I've been VERY careful to keep my utilization low on this card. And now that my grand (not so grand, really) experiment is over, I plan on keeping low utilization.

Many creditors see it as a negative sign if too many cards are open within two years, from what I've seen. That is, reputable creditors, not high risk creditors. Companies like, Amex, Citi, Chase, etc.

Once I can establish credit with this card for about 6 months (putting me over the above-mentioned two year threshold), I will apply for another Discover which I've already receieved a prequalified off for but have not taken. Discover will allow you to apply for another card after 1 year, and my feeling right now is that I would be approved.

Anway, after my 13th month, I began paying down my other cards. My total current credit limit between all my cards is $1900. My utilzation was around 90% until month 13. It's dropped to 70%. At which time my credit jumped about 30 points from 570 to 600.

Once my Discover CLI is reflected in my credit reports in month 14 and in conjuntion with my payments going down, I expect my credit will jumped another 10-20 points due to my utilization falling under 50%.

My estimates using a variety of tools put me at around 670 my the end of 2017.

My two-year recovery time put me from ~550 and will likely be around 650-670 about two years later. I truly believe this Discover card was instrumental in helping with this, with rewards and a first year rewards match along the way.

I HIGHLY recommend this card to anyone looking to improve/build credit.

Jun 20, 2017
Exactly what I needed!!!!
Annaaaaaa Cardholder

I applied for a $200 limit and was approved within 3 days and recieved the card in the mail within 7. When I first applied my credit score was at 513 and it is now at 721 within one month! I plan to keep it that way by only utilizing 30% or less and paying it off each month. Once i have the card a little longer I will be back to update my review by for now I give it 5 stars!

Jun 18, 2017
I'm definitely impressed!!!!
sednique009 Cardholder

The Discover it card is my first card in 10 years. Back in the day I was dumb with credit and unfortunately I'm still paying for my mistakes. I got the Discover it card in the middle of May with a $200 limit. Around the beginning of June my Fico scores was raised by 50 points(I was in the 400's-450's) brining my scores up to about 575! Awesome card to have if you're trying to get a head start in repairing your credit.

Jun 27, 2017

I too got the card and saw to my delight my score increased significantly.

Jun 13, 2017
easy process secured card
KentuckyK1 Cardholder

Sorry for the long review but this card took forever. Great card so far though. Credit score 563 tran and fico 574. I Applied for the discover secured card May 23, 2017. I received an email to verify my bank account with two small trial deposits later on that same day. The next day the two small deposits were sent to my card but I didn't verify the deposit until the 25th. On Friday, May 26 there was a pending transaction for the Discover deposit on my card. May 27 I received another email confirming my $200 deposit and that I should receive my card within 2 weeks of May 25th. The deposit wasn't taking out until May 30. On June 2 I check the status of my application on discover site and finally said that I was approved and my credit line. I called discover customer service and asked if they knew the exact day my card would arrive or if there were a tracker  number. unfortunately there wasn't one but they offered to send my card expedited through FedEx. I also picked a design for my new card. 2 days later I received a welcome email containing  my statement date and the credit line. The card arrived through fedex on June 6th in a regular simple envelope. A second card came on June 12 in fancy packaging except not the gray metallic look. Mine was a white packaging with a matte smooth feeling. Same account just 2 cards.  Maybe because I was approved for the discover chrome student card instead of the regular secured card. I just like to add, when I applied for the Discover card I also applied for the capital one secured card the same day and time and I got approved for both.

Jun 12, 2017
Takes FOREVER to upgrade
Anonymous Cardholder

This card boasts being able to upgrade to an unsecured account after some amount of time building credit, making good choices, etc. Customer service is very friendly, but after having this card for 2 years with a very measly limit, I still have not been able to upgrade to the unsecured account with a higher limit. I have good credit, and and overall good standing with all my other accounts, and am getting very frustrated as to why this account is not reflecting that. I like the card, and the company, but am getting fed up with their slow process.

May 31, 2017
Its great
JLVA Cardholder

The process was great.  I applied for the card towards the end of April 2017, was approved & received the card a little under 2 weeks later.  I started using it immediately & I've not had any problems.  Whenever I've called to talk to Customer Service they've been friendly.  I'm so glad I signed up for this card.

May 12, 2017
Bugg54 Cardholder

This is a great card when I first got this card my score was a 563 tu. Now in four months I'm at a 661 tu fico score thanks discover it's a five 🌟 card for me can't wait to see how much they will raise my limit to

Good for secured card, slow to upgrading
Chithe3rd Cardholder

Easily Build Credit History with Rewards

Excellent customer service!!! They communicate clearly and they never rush me off the call. They always tell me what US city they are in when I call.

I had no credit history. Applied, was accepted, made deposit, and received card in mail about 10 days later.

Great rewards for a secured card. 2% Cash Back on gas and restaurants. 1% Cash Back on everything else. They double your first years Cash Back. You can get Cash Back as a check, use it to pay your balance, or use at many online retailers. They also have tons of Discover Deals where you get discounts at various retailers when you use your Discover card.

Free FICO score updated monthly lets me see my credit history building at work.

I always make a payment shortly before statement end date to bring down my credit utilization to 5% or less. This has seemed to help a lot.

Got my deposit back after 6 months and the card "graduated" into a regular unsecured credit card. It is now a Discover Chrome card. Rewards program remains the same.

ONLY DOWNSIDE: Discover is not accepted at retailers as much as Visa and MasterCard. However, I have had the card 8 months and only had 4 instances where Discover was not accepted.

Discover it® Secured Credit Card