Citi Prestige® Card

• Balance Transfer Regular APR 15.99%* Variable
  • Purchase Intro APR Not Applicable
  • Purchase Regular APR 15.99%* Variable

Our Take

The Citi Prestige® Card offers great rewards in return for a hefty annual fee.

What to Like

Rewards, rewards and more rewards. Cardholders can earn 3 ThankYou® Points per dollar spent on air travel and hotels, 2 ThankYou® Points per dollar spent on dining out and entertainment and 1 ThankYou® Point per dollar spent on every other purchase. Cardholders also get an automatic $250 annual air travel credit and can earn 40,000 bonus points for spending $4,000 in purchases in the first three months.

Look Out For

The Citi Prestige® Card has a $450 annual fee. There’s also a $50 annual fee for each additional authorized user, and the card requires excellent credit for approval.

Sep 18, 2016
Not worth it after recent devaluations
jagrawr Cardholder

I previously reviewed this card as being worth the $450 fee due to the ease in making up its cost with all its perks. However, recent devaluations that become effective in July 2017 have made it no longer worth the fee, especially with the new Chase Sapphire Reserve as its direct competitor. Devaluations include: no longer having Admirals Club access, no longer having complimentary golf, no longer including the cost of taxes and fees in the 4th night free benefit, and only being able to redeem Citi ThankYou Points for 1.25% per mile for flights rather than the current 1.6% per mile when booking American or 1.33% per mile for all other airlines. The loss of golf and Admirals Club access don’t affect me at all because I don’t play golf and am okay with using Priority Pass lounges. However, the devaluation of TY Points when redeemed for flights is ultimately why I will not keep the Prestige when my annual fee comes due next year. A 1.25% redemption value is paltry compared to the Sapphire Reserve’s 1.5% for any flight. While having the $250 airline credit and 4th night free benefit can still make up the cost of the annual fee, I would rather not allocate spend to this card over my Sapphire Reserve when the rewards points are worth much less. At a time when Citi needed to step up their game with the release of Chase’s competing premium credit card, they instead went the opposite direction and nerfed their benefits, resulting in the loss of at least this customer, as well as many more I’m sure.

Jul 01, 2016
Top value in its class of premium cards
bybridges Cardholder

There's a lot of people that complain about heavy annual fees. I'm a big fan of saving more, spending less and getting what I pay for too. Fortunately, this isn't one of those cards that doesn't give it all back to you in spades. One caveat, it's not for everyone.

The annual fee is $450. But let's think about the benefits:

1) $250 annual airline fee credit. You can use it for anything including tickets. It's easier to use than Amex's airline fee reimbursements.

2) 4th Night Free Benefit. When booking at any hotel, when you book with their travel advisors, you get the 4th night free. This alone is a huge value to me because I travel quite a bit. This is a benefit that if you don't travel, the card may not be as valuable to you as others.

3) Thank You Rewards. 3x points for Hotels and Airfare, 2x for Dining and Entertaining, 1x on everything else. And the points are valuable, transferable to several airlines and hotels.

4) 3 Free Rounds of Gold, annually. They have to be a participating clubs, but there's plenty to choose from. Obviously, more helpful if you enjoy golfing, and as you know green fees can be quite pricey.

5) Priority Pass + Admirals Club Access*. Again if you travel a lot, especially internationally...you'll enjoy having the ability to take your pitstops in lounges for free snacks, wifi, and generally cleaner restrooms. (*when flying American Airlines)

Those are the top benefits I love the card for and it more than outweighs the cost of the annual fee. I haven't even mentioned some benefits that I don't even use. It's a great card.

Jun 29, 2016
Great, but Concierge needs improvement
jagrawr Cardholder

Despite the steep $450 annual fee, the card easily pays for itself. I’ve only had the Citi Prestige since February and have already made up the cost through the $250 airline credit and the 4th night free benefit. Furthermore, Priority Pass and Admirals Club access for both the cardholder and a guest has been an especially nice bonus – having somewhere to stay with free food and beverages was a lifesaver in Taipei when my connecting flight was delayed for 8 hours.

My only complaint with the card is the inefficiency of the concierge service when making hotel bookings and in receiving the 4th night free credit. To receive credit for the 4th night, the booking MUST be made through Citi’s concierge. Before calling the concierge, I research ahead of time how much I can expect to pay for a specific hotel stay through either booking with Citi or booking through another site. If booking with Citi will come out cheaper after the 4th night credit is applied, I go with Citi, if not, I go with the alternative. I’ve found that all major hotel chains and most large and/or 3 star or greater properties are eligible for the 4th night benefit. I haven’t been told no yet for any property I’ve chosen so far, domestically or abroad. Anyway, after I decide to go with Citi, I call the concierge to request a booking. After arranging for a booking over the phone, they send an e-mail within 24 hours with booking details, including the estimated total for the stay and the estimated credit to be applied for the 4th night. If I agree to the terms, I have to call the concierge service back so they can officially make the booking.

All this phone/e-mail tag is where problems can first arise. Rates easily change from the time I first call, the time they send the e-mail, and the time I’m able to call again to confirm the rate they quoted in the e-mail. The service would be GREATLY improved if the official booking can be made right on the first call, so that rates don’t change throughout the process and both time and money aren’t wasted playing phone/e-mail tag. This inefficiency also prohibits any needed last minute bookings.

I’ve also had problems receiving credit for bookings made through the concierge. For most stays, I’ve received credit within 2-6 weeks after check out. For two bookings, I have yet to receive credit, 10 weeks and 3 statements, and 8 weeks and 2 statements, respectively, after my stays.  According to Citi’s e-mails, “The statement credit will post within 1-2 billing cycles of a fully prepaid booking or 1-2 billing cycles after check-out.” For these two bookings, this has obviously not been the case. After calling Citi’s concierge with an inquiry, I was told I would receive a follow up e-mail within 72 hours. I did not receive any e-mail notification or credit to my account within 72 hours. I did not follow up immediately, as I was busy with other affairs, but saw that credit was eventually applied for the bookings I had inquired about 6 days after I made the inquiry, all without a follow up e-mail letting me know what happened.

Overall the Citi Prestige is a wonderful card whose benefits far outweigh the cost, particularly for booking flights and hotels due to receiving 3X the points for such purchases, as well as the 4th night free benefit. However, the concierge service still needs to get its kinks worked out to make the 4th night free benefit and the card as a whole truly exceptional.

Citi Prestige® Card