Citi Prestige® Card Reviews

Sep 18, 2016
Not worth it after recent devaluations
jagrawr Cardholder

I previously reviewed this card as being worth the $450 fee due to the ease in making up its cost with all its perks. However, recent devaluations that become effective in July 2017 have made it no longer worth the fee, especially with the new Chase Sapphire Reserve as its direct competitor. Devaluations include: no longer having Admirals Club access, no longer having complimentary golf, no longer including the cost of taxes and fees in the 4th night free benefit, and only being able to redeem Citi ThankYou Points for 1.25% per mile for flights rather than the current 1.6% per mile when booking American or 1.33% per mile for all other airlines. The loss of golf and Admirals Club access don’t affect me at all because I don’t play golf and am okay with using Priority Pass lounges. However, the devaluation of TY Points when redeemed for flights is ultimately why I will not keep the Prestige when my annual fee comes due next year. A 1.25% redemption value is paltry compared to the Sapphire Reserve’s 1.5% for any flight. While having the $250 airline credit and 4th night free benefit can still make up the cost of the annual fee, I would rather not allocate spend to this card over my Sapphire Reserve when the rewards points are worth much less. At a time when Citi needed to step up their game with the release of Chase’s competing premium credit card, they instead went the opposite direction and nerfed their benefits, resulting in the loss of at least this customer, as well as many more I’m sure.

Citi Prestige® Card