Credit Card Reviews

Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express

Credit Score
  • info This chart details the percent of cardholders that a credit score that currently falls within the given score ranges.
  • info This chart displays the average credit score across all holders of this card, every month, for the past year.
Credit Limit
  • info This chart details the percent of cardholders whose credit limit on this card currently falls within the given amount ranges.
  • info This chart displays the average credit limit of all holders of this card whose current credit score falls within the given score ranges.
  • info This chart displays the average credit limit of all holders of this card whose current age falls within the given age ranges.
  • info This chart details the percent of cardholders whose current balance on this card falls within the given amount ranges.
  • info This chart displays the average current balance for all holders of this card whose current credit score falls within the given score ranges.
  • info This chart displays the average current balance for all holders of this card whose current age falls within the given age ranges.
  • info This chart details the percent of cardholders whose current credit limit utilization for this card falls within the given utilization ranges.
  • info This chart displays the average credit limit utilization for all holders of this card whose current credit score falls within the given score ranges.
  • info This chart displays the average credit limit utilization for all holders of this card whose current age falls within the given age ranges.
Age of Cardholder
  • info This chart details the percent of cardholders whose current age falls within the given age ranges.
Sample Size: 987
Data Created: October 01, 2013

58 Cardholder Reviews

Results 1-10 of 58Results per page: 5 | 10 | 25Page 1 of 6   Previous | Next

here's a way to get this card Helpful to 12 out of 12 people

One of the easiest AMEX's to obtain is the Delta Sky Miles Gold (according to nerdwallet and other sites).  I obtained that card first.  Fulfill your minimum spend and get the bonus miles.  Then--keep this CC.

Then, call the MAIN amex customer service number (NOT the # on the back of your card).  Explain you have buyer's remorse and would like to change allegiances to SPG and earn points within that program.  They will oblige, send you a new CC with the same account #, but SPG labeling.  You still get the bonus spend points for your initial spend.

Your originial card is still live for Delta travel and saving you check fees (at least until it expires).

AMEX is a great product with great customer service for any issues.

doctmilton's review was:

Apr 17, 2013 Reply

doctmilton(4, 15)

Review by doctmilton

I really do love having this card and utilizing the SPG points for discounted leisure and business travel!
In fact, my goal is to gain Gold Preferred Status and use this card even more than I do now due to the increase in points accumulated for my daily expenses.  I can see why this card is truly so highly rated for anyone who enjoys to travel and stay in some comfortable hotels for a great deal.  There are many great deals that are always being updated and I honestly give this card a high review.  I wouldn't rate this card so highly unless it was truly worth noting.  Oh and one more thing, AMEX customer service has been good as well and above what I have gotten from my other credit card providers.  Outstanding customer service is becoming more and more rare these days as many have noticed (including myself) and its good to have a card and a company that I have come to depend on.  All in all, I like this card and I really enjoy being an AMEX customer.  BTW, it is quite rare that I post a review, but I felt like it was important, due to some of the surprising negative comments posted on here! I can't understand it because it has been nothing but good for me, all in all. Whenever I have had a question or an issue, a simple phone call is all it has taken to get to a helpful rep to assist me in resolving my issues.  btw, if you compare the benefits with this card and the SPG points configuration, it should become clear to even other leisure/seldom travelers who travel maybe only a few times a year, could greatly offset the cost of the $65 annual fee for this card.  Hopefully this REAL review from an ordinary customer who really does enjoy utilizing this card, will help maybe someone else who might be on the fence in deciding whether or not to check this card out! :)

Waddy's review was:

Jan 03, 2011 Reply

Waddy(7, 316)

Review by Waddy

Love this card Helpful to 7 out of 7 people

I hate paying interest but I love getting something for nothing ( or near nothing).  I run as many of my monthly expenses as possible thru this card and at the end of the year I have enough points for a free vacation.  My husband & I are going to Hawaii in 2 weeks and nearly everything (10 nights + 1 plane ticket), except for 1 plane ticket,  was paid for by Starpoints.  Very very pleased with this rewards card!

kmv0911's review was:

Nov 12, 2012 Reply

kmv0911(1, 7)

Review by kmv0911

Wow, all these negative experiences are surprising. I have never had a Starwoods Amex, but I've had Amex Gold and Platinum cards since the early 80's and have never had anything other than extraordinary customer service. Couple of examples, which go well beyond my experience with Mastercard and Visa:

Amex once refunded the full cost of a computer that was shipped to me in Jacarta and never delivered. The vendor said they never got it back, so Amex absorbed the cost.

Amex once sent me a check for over US$ 10k when a rental car was broken into and one of my camera systems was stolen. They have some sort of insurance program for items purchased with the Amex card.

On the few occasions when I've disputed a charge, Amex handles the whole affair with a phone call. MC and Visa usually require a letter, and generally don't go to bat for the cardholder against the merchant. Amex does.

msrw's review was:

Apr 08, 2010 Reply

msrw(7, 315)

Review by msrw

I've only been a member since 2009 but in that time, I've had nothing but excellent customer service. I love the prestige that comes with the card as well. If you've never had AMEX, you can't begin to understand. You won't get that with Visa or MC.

latoniaw1's reply was:

Feb 11, 2012

latoniaw1(5, 11)

Review by latoniaw1

I'm totally with you. Amex bats for the customer when there is a dispute but MC required me to spend a couple of hours and mail a bunch of paperwork.

mkchaitanya's reply was:

Aug 14, 2010

mkchaitanya(1, 3)

Review by mkchaitanya

Non-Instant Instant Approval Helpful to 6 out of 6 people

I decided to apply for this card as second best for me after having my application for a Blue Cash Preferred cancelled (I already have the Blue Cash Everyday: the system detected it as a duplicate application). The new $6000 caps on groceries hurt me because I'm a gourmand and semi-gourmet chef, and spend probably $20k in groceries yearly.

Just like when I got my Blue Cash Everyday card, I received a message stating "application requires further review, wait to hear from us in 14 days", and I immediately went to AmEx's online application status site, and saw that I was approved (within 10 seconds of the "14 day" message). AmEx gives me a 14-day message and then, insofar as I can tell, instantly approves me every time.

The signup bonus is good, and easy to meet (who can't spend $5k in 6 months?), even including all the other sign-up bonuses I've got to meet in the next few months from my yearly Signup Bonus Application Spree, and I look forward to using it to take a trip somewhere for a couple of days. I've not taken a trip in years. I might be able to get a round-trip coach ticket with the SPG to 1.25 miles conversion and a night or two at a cheap (class 2) or cheaper (class 1) hotel with the 25k SPG points for free, or, failing that, very cheaply.

The card is legendary among rewards-maximizers and frequent travellers, and is legendary even amongst credit card churners - because it's the one card they don't churn.

I'm rating customer service five stars based on previous experience with AmEx, and application process four stars due to the annoying glitch that AmEx seems to have with me of giving me the "dreaded 14-day notice" and then instantly approving me when checked on the application status site. It's a kink that should be worked out, but not too much trouble.

Welcome to the club, John.

JohnPublic's review was:

Jan 11, 2013 Reply

JohnPublic(42, 76)

Review by JohnPublic

Top Contributor

Sorry for the double post. I was trying (unsuccessfully, it appears) to edit the first post.

Anyhow, the pertinent information that I forgot to include: 651 CK score (710-750 FICOs). 711 CreditSesame score. High five figures (middle-class) income. Self-employed. $250-499k in investments.

JohnPublic's reply was:

Jan 11, 2013

JohnPublic(42, 76)

Review by JohnPublic

Top Contributor

Fantastic.Took the tip with 733 credit score and 6 hard inquires got approved on line for a 10K line of credit.Thanks so much

andreklein's review was:

Feb 04, 2012 Reply

andreklein(1, 6)

Review by andreklein

I have the Blue Cash card from AMEX and I'm extremely happy with it.  Their customer service is top notch!  I wanted a miles/points card and applied for this card.  My CK score is 772 and I got approved for 18K! I'm very happy & can't wait to start accumulating points!  Last year, I rented a car for 17 days and paid over $300 in insurance fees.. This card would have saved me $300! So, I think the $65 annual fee is offset by the perks and benefits of this card!

miladk's review was:

Jul 22, 2011 Reply

miladk(3, 5)

Review by miladk

Great card! We are Gold Preferred Guest members just from what we use this card on annually. Starwood has great hotels like Sherton, Westin and W, and we love saving up for big family vacations, saving us thousands! We saved over $4000 on our last trip!

lashomb's review was:

Jun 13, 2011 Reply

lashomb(1, 4)

Review by lashomb

Having been an AMEX customer for over 23 years I continue to be delighted by the exceptional customer service that they have provided me over the decades.   I have several cash reward cards including the Penfed cash back rewards and AMEX Blue, however my wife and i utilize the SPG AMEX for every day purchases and PIF each month.  In our case the hotle points are superior to the cash back we earn on the other cards.Additionally I use the card for business travels so the points rack up fast .We were able t take advantage of the intial 10,000 points and 15,000 after 6 months of 15,0000 in charges. I recommend the card if you're disciplined in avoiding paying interest charges and enjoy staying in top notch hotels for no charge.

skibum's review was:

Mar 24, 2011 Reply

skibum(1, 4)

Review by skibum

This card is awesome. Yes the $65 annual fee sucks but I think most savvy travelers would consider this the best rewards credit card available.

AppleRules's review was:

Applicable
  • Purchase Regular APR 15.24% – 19.24%* Variable
  • Annual Fee $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $65
Learn More Visit Application Page

Cardholder Rating Distribution (58)

Top Similar Cards

American Express is the world's largest card issuer by purchase volume, catering to high-spending cardmembers around the world. American Express offers personal, small business, corporate, prepaid, and charge cards. American Express stands out in the credit card industry for its cardmember services, such as concierge service and loyalty programs, and its charge cards with no pre-set spending limit, such as the Centurion, or "Black card”, known for its exclusivity and elite features.

Headquartered in New York City, American Express is a global financial services company that provides financial products, processes transactions, and facilitates payment services to consumers and merchants. With its iconic Roman gladiator logo, American Express operates in over 130 countries around the world.

Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express