Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express Reviews

• Purchase Intro APR Not Applicable

Oct 30, 2017
Perfect for frequent SPG/Marriott guests
nole1977 Cardholder

I applied for this card in January 2015 right after our mortgage began reporting. My Experian FICO was 672, so I was surprised that they approved me with a credit line of $7,500. I'm not sure if my SPG Gold status played into their decision, but I was SPG elite for 5 years before applying.

There are numerous perks to this card--enough to warrant its fit with the first annual fee waived--especially now that there are many more opportunities to earn Starpoints through Marriott stays. I used points to pay for one week in a W Marvelous Suite, which is way more than the $95 annual fee.

With responsible use comes credit line increases. This is our primary spend card and it was a breeze getting the business version of this card with instant approval.

Oct 12, 2017
Anonymous Cardholder

Don't apply for this card.  American Express is not keeping their promises to give you the SPG Bonus Pointe after you spent $3000.00.  A few of my friends and I been waiting for already 4 statements and still don't have the bonus point.  We called the customer service twice a months and was told system problem.  Yeah right.

Oct 28, 2017

My points posted almost immediately after I met the spend! Love this card!

Aug 10, 2017
Great Card
mbt47 Cardholder

AND Great Service. I have had the card for many years & have Never had a problem with it. They use to offer, & may still do, that if you transfer 20,000 points to an airline, they will throw in another 5,000.

Some other great benefits. They also offer (for a fee) Health Insurance if you are over 125 miles from your city, including Medical Emergency fly you back home.

Jul 12, 2017
Best all around card
Anonymous Cardholder

I've always banked with chase got chase freedom, slate, discover it those were really my old cards. Last month I applied for spg card and got approved right away almost there hitting 3k on spending requirements so I can get 30k sign up bonus. Not really a traveler for now but later on once I get married my goal is to travel with my significant other. And also just an FYI I got approved with an 715 ex score and also I just applied for freedom unlimited spending $500 with $300 in return (targeted offer)and got approved for that card. Got a a lot more cards to apply for down the road.

Jul 25, 2017

So you're going to end up in a HUGE mess with too many cards. The secret to great credit is keeping your balances low. Somebody needs to teach you you're about to get in a big big mess.

Jul 25, 2017

Depends, ultimately, on variety of cards that you carry. Picture this...someone has the Chase Freedom card. This means that, if they're using it right, they're gaining at least 10,000 UR points every quarter. 7500 for the rotating category, and 2500 for all other spending...just a hypothetical. Then they grab the Freedom Unlimited, and those 2500 points turn into 3750. If they're a foodie like me, then quarterly, 10,750 points turn into 12,750 roughly to redeem for travel. Nevermind the amazing sign-up bonuses Chase puts on their cards, and you're looking at two free plane tickets to somewhere, or 4 nights at a 4-5 star hotel...the possibilities are limitless. If they're able to pay down their cards to 10% util. or lower, then not only will the perks add up fast, but their credit score will soar!

Jul 25, 2017

I have to add, the points for travel only happen with the Sapphire Preferred card. :)

Aug 04, 2017

The SPG points are worth a lot more though. With Chase, you have to redeem the points from CSP through their UR portal which is often priced out higher than what you'd find on most travel sites so the point bonus is almost a moot point. None of Chase's cards compare to the Amex BCP in terms of reward dollars you can earn the Amex offers!!

Aug 05, 2017

Well it's not like I'm gonna apply for 10 cards tomorrow. I utilization is less than 6% always pay my bills on time. The only debt I have it the car that I'm paying off I bought for my dad. Even with that I got 0% interest for 5 years. And with that I only have about 10k left to go. And the only card I'm gonna be getting later (a year or 2 later) is gonna be sapphire preferred. Just to transfer my ur points to transfer partner. Also I had chase slate card which I converted that to a regular freedom and only kept $500 limit on that card and transferred all my credit to my old freedom and kept that card aside so I won't be using that. And with freedom unlimited I have that card on auto payment so that card is only for the bills and my daily cards would be freedom only on bonus categories if there isn't any bonus category I would use my Amex spg card. Also I have kept my discover aside as well.

Sep 29, 2017

You seem like you've got it figured out I'm 20 and am in college no student loans just a lease 2017 Ford Escape and a credit card that I'm on through my mom since I was 18 (20,000) limit which is kept at 6%so I have a two almost 3 year credit history and also a 300 dollar khols card and I've paid bills at my house for about 1 year and my credit is about 730 why am I not getting approved for an American Express everyday or a chase freedom ?

Jun 15, 2017
It's in My Wallet!!!
Msmelli Cardholder

The cash back component...the more you use the more you earn.

May 28, 2017
Loving my SPG Card so far!
Anonymous Cardholder

My boyfriend and I travel A LOT, and I was looking to get a card that offered good travel benefits. Applied this month and instantly got approved with a $10K limit - my other AMEX Everyday Card only has a limit of $1,400, but I had gotten that card way back when in college and hardly used it. I think I will be getting rid of that one shortly.

I easily charge $3-$5k in bills monthly so I reached the promotional $3k within a few weeks and am excited to have that 25,000 point reward to use. This seems like it's going to be a great card for me since I have a lot of bills and pay all of my cards in full every month.

Just an FYI, my experian score is around 720 and I hardly ever carry a balance.

Jun 03, 2017

I am very new to this card thing and was wondering do you got to pay a fee every month even if you don't use it?

Aug 02, 2017

i would probably keep your amex everyday open if there's no annual fee. . boosts your credit score (probably your oldest acct? and $1400 available credit helps with your utilization %)

May 08, 2017
Great Rewards.
BBerryAddict Cardholder

I travel alot this card will come in VERY handy with the Reward Points, 3rd American Express Card. Decided to apply with Credit Karma Very Good Odds, received instant approval, will put card to very good use. Thank you American Express.

May 23, 2017

What does their credit limit range?

Aug 04, 2017

credit karma saying I have excellent approval odds. I pull my credit and my credit is 752. I'm only 22 and I don't travel that much. I don't think it's worth it especially with that annual fee.

Feb 07, 2017
Great card for hotel purchases & beyond!
brlgoodtimes Cardholder

I have less than a year's credit history with 100% on-time payments. Not for sure where CK gets their scores but my actual Fico 8 score is 708 and my actual Transunion is 729. 20 year old college student, but I travel a lot and stay in a number of Starwood hotels, so I gave this a shot! I previously had Green Charge card, Gold Delta SkyMiles card, and Everyday AmEx's, but I ridded of my green & Delta cards, so now I still have the Everyday but added the Premier Rewards Gold Card and this SPG. PRG is great because you get 3x points for booking any airline and 2x points on restaurants, gas, and grocery (which is most of my spending!) SPG may seem tricky because there are not tons of Starwood hotels everywhere but SPG is partnered with others so I can receive 2x or 3x points on any Marriott resorts as well. My charge cards have no pre-set limits, but my highest otherwise was my Costco Citi Visa with only $1200, and AmEx approved me for $8,500 for this SPG card. Awesome!

Jul 08, 2017

2x points on restaurants, gas & grocery? I think you have the wrong card I never heard of the SPG card offering more than 1 point for any purchases outside of SPG establishments.

Credit Score
Credit Limit
60+ Days Past Due Status
Age of Cardholder

Sample Size: 322
Data Created: February 02, 2015

Note: Sample data consists of Credit Karma members who hold this card.

Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express