Credit Card Reviews Advertiser Disclosure

• Balance Transfer Intro APR Not Applicable
  • Annual Fee $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $95
  • Purchase Intro APR Not Applicable

Our Take

If you crave credit card rewards, then the Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express may be the card for you. Cardholders earn 5 points per dollar spent at participating SPG® hotels, and 1 point on all other purchases. New cardholders can also earn up to 25,000 bonus points after spending $3,000 within the first 3 months of membership.

Rewards points are redeemable toward flights on more than 1,300 airlines and hotel stays in nearly 100 countries with no blackout dates, and no limits on the number of points you can earn.

In addition to the great rewards program, this card also offers a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, along with other great American Express features like 24/7 global emergency assistance and a fraud protection guarantee.

Oct 01, 2016
Anonymous Cardholder

Great rewards for an entry level Amex card. Rewards end up coming out to about $0.03 per dollar spent aka 3% if used wisely. The 25k points after spending $3k is definitely an extra bonus.

I was accepted with a high 600's score and received a $1000 limit. After two months I requested an increase which went to $2,500.

Now planning to use my 31,000 points for an upcoming vacation to NYC booking rooms that charge $450-500 a night, but only require 12,000 points.

Jun 24, 2016
Anonymous Cardholder

Approved with a 680 1k cc limit but I'll take it to build on.

Jun 15, 2016
Good card, horrible customer service.

I had to write a review on this card, as I've owned many credit cards and this is by far the worst credit card I have ever had. The customer service can't help with anything, and over the last week I have been led on a wild goose chase as to how to get my card working (I haven't been able to use it in 2 weeks).

I am not sure how, but in the process of setting the card up, the bank information was entered incorrectly, this may have been my fault. Either way, I made a payment of 175.00 after using the card for a couple weeks. So, the payment was returned for insufficient funds because the bank it was using was not real obviously. So I called customer service, I had heard that American Express customer service was good, little did I know this would be the beginning of an endless exchange of people telling me different things to do, and nothing actually happening.

The first lady I talked to said that everything would be okay, the payment would be returned as insufficient funds, and I would be able to use my card again. So I go about my life, using cash for a bit and figured I would wait a couple days and my card should be fine. In the meantime I made a payment of 650.00 from my actual bank. So after a week, my card still doesn't work. I decided to try the live chat this time. I spoke with a representative, and the first thing she did was inform me that I had a returned payment for insufficient funds.Good to know. So I asked why my card wasn't working. She said, very clearly, the following:

I need to call American Express, and cancel the payment verbally.

Okay, so I called them, after going through 5 minutes of annoying phone button pressing (at least it wasn't more, I'll give them that, I have sat on the phone for longer before with those stupid button things), I finally get a human being on the phone. So I ask whats going on, why I can't use my card.

She says that the payment has to be declined 3 times, and there is no way to verbally cancel. Funny because the customer service told me to call and verbally cancel the unreal payment. I told her that, she said something like "Oh, you were probably talking to customer service." Huh? I hate when companies divide up their departments, as a way of switching you back and forth between departments, so they never have to help you. She even said that in a tone like, 'customer service doens't know what they're doing'. Great.

So I can't cancel the payment verbally, I have to wait for 3 declines, and still I have no idea how to get my card working again, this lady on the phone clearly knows nothing and has no power to do anything except knock her own online customer service and tell me there is nothing she can do. So I am stuck with a credit card I can't pay, I can't cancel, I can't get help with.

And then she tells me there will be 'fees' for returned checks. I didn't send in any checks, but apparently there will be 'fees' for returned checks. Wonderful. Good job American Express. I wonder how much my 'fees' will be. She said "I think they are 27 dollars, or 39". Do I get three of these 'fees'? More? Of course she can't tell me, just that there will be 'fees.'

What a headache.

Get this card and enjoy the great benefits and sign up bonus, but if you have a problem, prepare to deal with the least helpful, most annoying, inconsistent, and awful customer service you have ever dealt with.

Mar 23, 2016
Anonymous Cardholder

TU 660. Applied through the phone, told them I don't stay at Starwood hotels but would start if I had this card. Got an approval letter the next day! No more Foreign transaction fees?! I'll take that. 35000 bonus points?! Amazing.

Feb 22, 2016
Approved 10K with CK Odd Fair
Anonymous Cardholder

CK  Trans 732 Ex 689. Approved within seconds online. Don't be discouraged if CK Odd is only Fair.

Credit Score
Credit Limit
60+ Days Past Due Status
Age of Cardholder

Sample Size: 322
Data Created: February 02, 2015

Note: Sample data consists of Credit Karma members who hold this card.

Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express