Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express Reviews

• Balance Transfer Intro APR Not Applicable
  • Annual Fee $0 intro, $95 after first year
  • Purchase Intro APR Not Applicable

Our Take

If you crave credit card rewards, then the Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express may be the card for you. New cardholders can also earn up to 25,000 bonus points after spending $3,000 within the first 3 months of membership.

Rewards points are redeemable toward flights on more than 1,300 airlines and hotel stays in nearly 100 countries with no blackout dates, and no limits on the number of points you can earn.

In addition to the great rewards program, this card also offers a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, along with other great American Express features like 24/7 global emergency assistance and a fraud protection guarantee.

Jun 15, 2017
It's in My Wallet!!!
Msmelli Cardholder

The cash back component...the more you use the more you earn.

May 28, 2017
Loving my SPG Card so far!
Anonymous Cardholder

My boyfriend and I travel A LOT, and I was looking to get a card that offered good travel benefits. Applied this month and instantly got approved with a $10K limit - my other AMEX Everyday Card only has a limit of $1,400, but I had gotten that card way back when in college and hardly used it. I think I will be getting rid of that one shortly.

I easily charge $3-$5k in bills monthly so I reached the promotional $3k within a few weeks and am excited to have that 25,000 point reward to use. This seems like it's going to be a great card for me since I have a lot of bills and pay all of my cards in full every month.

Just an FYI, my experian score is around 720 and I hardly ever carry a balance.

Jun 03, 2017

I am very new to this card thing and was wondering do you got to pay a fee every month even if you don't use it?

May 08, 2017
Great Rewards.
BBerryAddict Cardholder

I travel alot this card will come in VERY handy with the Reward Points, 3rd American Express Card. Decided to apply with Credit Karma Very Good Odds, received instant approval, will put card to very good use. Thank you American Express.

May 23, 2017

What does their credit limit range?

Feb 07, 2017
Great card for hotel purchases & beyond!
brlgoodtimes Cardholder

I have less than a year's credit history with 100% on-time payments. Not for sure where CK gets their scores but my actual Fico 8 score is 708 and my actual Transunion is 729. 20 year old college student, but I travel a lot and stay in a number of Starwood hotels, so I gave this a shot! I previously had Green Charge card, Gold Delta SkyMiles card, and Everyday AmEx's, but I ridded of my green & Delta cards, so now I still have the Everyday but added the Premier Rewards Gold Card and this SPG. PRG is great because you get 3x points for booking any airline and 2x points on restaurants, gas, and grocery (which is most of my spending!) SPG may seem tricky because there are not tons of Starwood hotels everywhere but SPG is partnered with others so I can receive 2x or 3x points on any Marriott resorts as well. My charge cards have no pre-set limits, but my highest otherwise was my Costco Citi Visa with only $1200, and AmEx approved me for $8,500 for this SPG card. Awesome!

Oct 01, 2016
Anonymous Cardholder

Great rewards for an entry level Amex card. Rewards end up coming out to about $0.03 per dollar spent aka 3% if used wisely. The 25k points after spending $3k is definitely an extra bonus.

I was accepted with a high 600's score and received a $1000 limit. After two months I requested an increase which went to $2,500.

Now planning to use my 31,000 points for an upcoming vacation to NYC booking rooms that charge $450-500 a night, but only require 12,000 points.

Credit Score
Credit Limit
60+ Days Past Due Status
Age of Cardholder

Sample Size: 322
Data Created: February 02, 2015

Note: Sample data consists of Credit Karma members who hold this card.

?>