Fingerhut recommended by Credit Karma?
I have been working hard to improve my credit score since my divorce. I finally got it above 600 and Credit Karma recommended opening an account with Fingerhut and pay it off before it is due, so I applied. Fingerhut performed a "hard inquiry" and now my score has dropped 16 points. Please tell me why Credit Karma would recommend a service when it has had a detrimental affect on my credit??
Thank you for your response.

Most Helpful Response

Fingerhut "recommended" by Credit Karma?

Some people here (including myself) have recommended Fingerhut.  But I honestly don't think Credit Karma itself has recommended them to anybody.  If they do, please point me to that recommendation.

Personally, I made the "assumption" that Fingerhut would be listed as an installment plan (like a furniture store).  And, I bought a camera tripod from them based on that assumption.  I already have 8 credit cards and wanted to have an installment plan, too, since Credit Karma recommends both - to prove to credit bureaus that I could handle both types of credit simultaneously.  But, it turns out that Fingerhut is shown on my Credit Karma account as a "WebBank Credit Card" - making it totally useless to use as an installment plan.

So, any recommendation from me should be considered withdrawn.  Without the ability to have it counted as an installment plan, Fingerhut is just an overpriced retailer with high interest at best.  At worst, they're a predatory lender that seeks out those who have bad or no credit - knowing they can charge them high prices and interest  Three days from now, I'm paying off my entire Fingerhut balance before interest can accrue.  And I'll never do business with them again.

Hi ckjack, 

Any time you apply for a new line of credit, a hard inquiry will be added to your report. This typically results in a drop of your credit score, which rebounds after afew months of responsibly using the new card. This issue isn't specific to Fingerhut or Credit Karma - it's standard in the credit scoring system. Read more here: