These are some of the most popular credit cards from our partners. We've outlined some key features along with what to like and what to look out for. You can also search all credit cards on Credit Karma for more options.
Cards for Poor Credit (549 or Lower)
With poor credit, your options for credit cards are somewhat limited. Most companies won't provide a credit line without a deposit and virtually all credit cards are going to charge monthly fees. However, if used responsibly, these cards may be the best way to start establishing or rebuilding your credit. Below are our favorite cards for poor credit offered by our credit card partners.
- No annual fee, with all the credit building benefits
- Unlike a prepaid card, it builds credit when used responsibly, with regular reporting to the 3 major credit bureaus
- Your minimum security deposit gets you a $200 credit line
- You may qualify for a credit line increase based on your payment history and creditworthiness with no additional deposit required
- Easily manage your account 24/7 with online access, by phone or using our mobile app
- It’s a credit card accepted at millions of locations worldwide
Pros & Cons
- No processing or application fees
- High interest rate
- Security deposit
The Capital One® Secured MasterCard® is a good option for people with little or no credit history who are looking to build their credit.
What to Like
This Capital One® Secured MasterCard® has no set up or processing fees. Capital One® reports to all three major credit bureaus so you can take steps to build your credit history. While this card does require an initial security deposit, Capital One® may increase your credit limit without any additional deposits if you use your credit responsibly.
Look Out For
Secured credit cards are great for building credit, but they typically come with annual fees and a required security deposit--and without rewards. It’s important to use your credit responsibly in order to build toward a card with more attractive perks.
- Build Your Credit fast with our monthly reporting to all 3 major credit bureaus.
- Choose your credit line as low as $200 up to $3000, secured by a fully-refundable* security deposit.
- Security deposit needs to be submitted before the credit card can be issued.
- No credit check necessary and no checking account required; apply in less than 5 minutes.
- Extra credit when you need it, increase your credit line up to $5000 in your first year*
- Access to online financial education.
- *View our Cardholder Agreement located at the bottom of the application page for details of the card. Click the Apply Now button to get to the application page.
Pros & Cons
- Reports to all 3 major credit bureaus
- Relatively low annual fee
- No credit check
- Requires a security deposit
- Higher penalty APR
The OpenSky® Secured Credit Visa® Card is a good choice for people who are looking to build their credit without paying too much in fees.
What to Like
The OpenSky® Secured Credit Visa® Card reports regularly to all 3 major credit bureaus, making it useful for building credit. The $35 annual fee is relatively low for a card aimed at people with limited credit history, and there are no other processing, servicing or application fees. There’s no credit check for applicants, and the 17.39% APR is competitive for a card made for low score users.
Look Out For
There’s a slightly higher penalty APR for cardholders who have missed a payment. This is also a secured credit card, meaning you’ll have to put down a deposit equal to your credit line in order to get access to credit.
* See the online provider's credit card application for details about terms and conditions. Reasonable efforts are made to maintain accurate information. However all credit card information is presented without warranty. When you click on the "Apply Now" button, you can review the credit card terms and conditions on the provider's website.
† Credit Karma estimates your Approval Odds by comparing your credit profile with data about other members who were approved for this product. Though Approval Odds do not guarantee approval, they can show you which products may be a better fit for you.
‡ Average score refers to the arithmetic mean and typical low score to the 5th percentile of, in each case, available VantageScore 3.0 credit scores provided by TransUnion of Credit Karma members who were approved for this product from April 2015 through September 2015. Average and typical approved scores are provided as guidelines only and approval is not guaranteed. You can learn more about credit card approval through our in-depth article.