Question

kibbeee

How can I fix my credit score is poor due to someone taking a credit card out in my name?
A few years ago, I received notice that a collection agency was looking for me due to an overdue credit card. I was VERY confused because I had only had an Express and Victoria's Secret card out and had NEVER heard of a Capital One card, let alone spent money on one. I later filed a police report and a dispute with a credit bureau or two even later after that. I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to credit anything and now that I need to take more student loans out, I am being denied due to my credit score. I was not even 18 when that Capital One card was opened up, so I am forever going to be confused as to how the account was opened and nothing was never paid for. If anyone can guide me in a helpful direction or offer any advice, I'd be so thankful.