Question

GameWithRules

AMEX blacklist?
I read a comment here recently that indicated if you have ever had an Amex card go to collection, you will never qualify for an Amex card ever again even after the collection drops off your report. I had an Amex Green go to collections in the mid 80s. Now Credit Karma tells me I have a 'very good' change of being approved for the Blue Cash Everyday Amex card and the Amex Everyday card but I don't know what the risk is ... i don't want to risk getting declined and getting a credit score hit. Advice appreciated...

Amex has amazing customer service.  I would advise calling in and asking them directly.  They will be able to tell you without doing any type of credit pulls.  I know once you get blacklisted from Amex you won't ever get a card again but usually that is from Manufactured Spending or doing something pretty shady that hurts them financially, I am unsure if going to collections gets you on that list or not.

I know this is late but I either settled or made late payment plan on green charge card around 2000 and likely never paid it all back. I actually just got approved for a blue cash amex so I would say if your credit profile supports it u can get one. They have a pre qualify web page, I usually check it every so often and it finally had offers for me so applied and was approved.

AMEX blacklist?

AMEX have several "black lists”, depend on degree of collection. After the account goes to collection, AMEX will determine the seriousness of the default. It could be just simple bankruptcy and AMEX MAY (after period of time) ask for repayment with Oasis program. Some more serious offences (by Amex determination) will result staying on "black list" for several years (20 or longer). For example, one of the serious offence could be feeling on AMEX part, that card holder charged up to full credit line shortly BEFORE declaring bankruptcy and then discharging the debt. Such a person may by never released from the list.

However, the good news is, that AMEX ALWAYS check the "black list" FIRST. If the person requesting AMEX card IS find on the list, AMEX will NOT proceed to credit check with credit rating companies and will immediately decline the request. Therefore, no one is getting a credit score hit because of being backlisted.

BTW, AMEX is internally calling "black list" by different name.