4 month credit history, Fair/Poor, declined for 4 credit cards, how do I build score with no card?
I just bought my first car. Had no credit at all until I bought it. I had applied for 3 credit cards over 2 or 3 years prior to purchasing the vehicle and was declined because of my "thin credit."

That's 3 inquiries.

Dealership made an inquiry when they financed me for the vehicle purchase.

That's 4 inquiries.

After I purchased the vehicle I obtained an actual credit score but that score is Fair/Poor because of the inquiries from the previous credit card applications and my short credit history. However, I have no negatives and my one account is in good standing.

I was hoping to build my credit so I can re-finance my car loan after a year of building credit. So when my credit was 3 months old, I applied for a credit card with my local grocery store. I was declined and now have 5 inquiries on my credit. The most recent of which dropped my score 18 pts.

How do I build my credit proactively or do I have to just sit and wait for it to mature before I can actively improve it by adding accounts in good standing?