Applying for a credit card to transfer a balance is a great way to save on your existing credit card debt. Many credit cards have 0% APR balance transfer rates for 6-15 months. The secret to saving more with these credit card offers is to be aware of balance transfer fees and different interest rates for purchases.
Some credit cards have a 3% balance transfer fee with a maximum fee of $75 or $90. These fees are okay if you can take advantage of the 0% APR for more than 12 months. The fees were created so people couldn't credit card balance transfer-surf (continuously transferring balances to avoid interest). Below are some of our favorite balance transfer credit cards.
Recommended Just For You
- Fair. No annual fee. No overlimit fee. No foreign transaction fee. Plus, pay up to midnight ET online or by phone on your due date without a fee. No late fee on your first late payment. And paying late won't raise your APR.*
- Generous. 5% cash back on up to $1,500 in Restaurant and Movie purchases from January through March 2014 with free and easy sign-up. And 1% cash back on all other purchases.*
- Human. 100% U.S.-based customer service available any time.
- Safe. Because you're never responsible for unauthorized purchases with our $0 Fraud Liability Guarantee.
- Plus, free FICO® Credit Score on your monthly statement to help you stay on top of your credit.*
- 0% Intro APR* on balance transfers for 18 months. Then the variable purchase APR applies, currently 10.99% - 22.99%. A fee of 3% applies for each balance transferred.
- 0% Intro APR* on purchases for 6 months. Then the variable purchase APR applies, currently 10.99% - 22.99%.
- *Click “Apply" to see rates, rewards free FICO® Credit Score terms and other information.
- 0% intro APR on balance transfers for 18 months
- No annual fee
- Need excellent credit
The new Discover it® card is a great choice for consumers searching for a quality card that offers both low interest rates and cash back rewards. Cardholders enjoy 0% intro APR on balance transfers for up to 18 months, as well as 0% intro APR on purchases for 6 months. After the intro period, the interest rate ranges from 10.99% to 22.99%. Cardholders also receive 5% cash back in revolving categories like travel, gas, groceries and more.
In addition to the low interest rates and rewards, cardholders can rest assured that they’ll never have to pay for unauthorized purchases thanks to the $0 fraud liability guarantee. Discover also offers 100% U.S.-based service for any time you need to talk to a real customer service representative.
With no annual fee, overlimit fee, or foreign transaction fee, the Discover it® card is ideal for consumers who plan on carrying a monthly balance or who are looking to make a large balance transfer.
Credit Score Approval Data †
|731||Average credit score approved for this card †||687||Lowest credit score approved for this card †|
- Have holiday balances? Save on holiday balances and new purchases
- $0 balance transfer fee - introductory offer!
- 0% Introductory APR for 15 months on purchases and balance transfers
- No Annual Fee
- 0% intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for 15 months
- No annual fee
- Must make balance transfer in the first 60 days to avoid fee
If you’re in the market for a straightforward balance transfer credit card with great savings potential, look no further then the Slate card from Chase.
Cardholders enjoy 0% intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for 15 months, after which the interest rates reset to as low as 12.99%. With no balance transfer fee, consumers can save a significant amount of money when transferring a large balance during the first 60 days of opening an account.
In addition to the great 0% APR introductory offer with no balance transfer fee, the Slate card also has Blueprint, a program designed to help consumers pay down balances faster to avoid paying interest, making this card a great option for consumers looking to save more money on balance transfers as well as everyday credit use.
Credit Score Approval Data †
|730||Average credit score approved for this card †||661||Lowest credit score approved for this card †|
Additional Balance Transfer Credit Cards
- Get 0% Intro APR on Balance Transfers and Purchases for 18 months. After that, the APR will be 11.99%-21.99% based upon your creditworthiness.*
- There is a balance transfer fee of either $5 or 3% of the amount of each transfer.
- Citi® Easy Deals(SM) Get what you want for less. Earn Citi Easy Deals Points for the purchases you make with your card. Redeem your points for great online deals on name-brand merchandise, gift cards and even local deals.
- Let our 24/7 concierge service help book your hotel rooms, flights and more.
- Enjoy special access to presale tickets, preferred seating, VIP packages, and unique entertainment experiences through Citi Private Pass®.
- $0 liability on unauthorized purchases and Citi® Identity Theft Solutions
- No annual fee*