Will AmEx close my account due to collection?
I have been building my credit for the past 6 months using a CapOne secured card. I had a collection from before FICO could even generate a score due to an unpaid AT&T bill exactly 2 years ago.

For whatever reason (I am imagine the debt was resold), the collection fell off my credit report this month which was also the first month FICO generated a score. I applied and was approved for an AmEx green and a Discover IT card on the strength of a 742 Experian.

My questions are:

1. Will AmEx close my account when the collection shows back up on my report?

2. For whatever reason, Experian reported time since negative as half a year in spite of the collection being from 2013. Now that the collection has been taken off, I am concerned that it will be added back by a different agency causing my score to plummet as the time since negative clock gets reset (I understand the date should always be from the original delinquency but there is no record of this anywhere on the report). What should I do?

Most Helpful Response

If you can find out who owns the debt currently you could contact them and get them to agree to accept your payment in exchange for not reporting the account to the credit bureaus. Or you could contact AT&T and ask them if they will accept payment in full and void any collection accounts associated with your account. Or you could do nothing and hope that it does not reappear. I am not sure if AMEX will close your account or not if it reappears, but depending on your credit line they may reduce it rather than close the account. Who knows, if you are lucky AMEX may not do anything, but they do seem to be a pretty picky company. Do some research on "Pay for Delete Agreements" and learn about "debt validation" in case another collection company pops up on your report. I wish you luck with this.

I called the collection agency Enhanced Recovery and they confirmed that they had the debt and are due to report it within a week and a half. The lady promised that if I settled, the report simply won't be made as it doesn't currently show up. On the other hand, if it is showing up they will update it as PIF. 

I really want to believe her and just pay though she nor her supervisor were willing to issue a letter that they won't report it. They kept citing the recorded conversations as sufficient evidence. Therefore I emailed their customer service as a means of verifying the deal and am waiting on hearing back. 

Could anyone please tell me what I should do? Has anyone been in a similar situation? Do you think they will keep their promise and not report anything?