Question

creditnewbie87

Should I apply for an unsecured credit card?
When first joining CK a couple of months ago, my score was in the 530s. Most accounts are student loans. I was recently approved for an auto loan. After that approval, I applied for a Capital One secured mastercard and was approved. However, I haven't made the $200 deposit yet (have until November to do so). Once the auto loan hit my credit report, my score increased to 608. According to CK, I now have "very good odds" of being approved for a capital one platinum credit card. Is it smart to apply for that one? I would rather do that instead of paying a deposit for the secured card. So what should I do? Please help asap.

Most Helpful Response

First, before you take those approval odds seriously? I would log out and log back in few mins later and do it over few times and see if odds changes... I would use CapOne's pre-approval site and see if anything come up for you...

Two, no one can answer it with any certainty. But if I was in your shoes? I did go ahead and open that secured card, you already took 3 hard inquiries for it, no need to take chance of being denied with 3 more HP for the platinum, even if you do get approved? The limit might be something like 300~500 dollars. I would much rather have secured card for 6 months then apply for QS/Venture/VentureOne with rewards and much higher starting limit. Once approved for couple of unsecured cards? Then I can close secured card and get my deposit back (if you choose to).

I would say that you should pay the $200 and get the Secured card. After you do that, check the preapproval on Capital One's website to see if you may have a chance of getting a Platinum card. I would not base any decisions upon the approval odds that you find on this site, you will find by reading the forums that many people are disappointed by the suggestions on here. If you think that you can get a Platinum card, go ahead and apply for that to. You want the Platinum card in ADDITION to the secured card, you don't want to replace the Secured card with it. Really, you should have at least 3 credit cards to start building, but you have to be careful about opening too many accounts in a short time, as you may start getting denied by some lenders for opening too many accounts recently.

Again, NOT a big fan of secured cards, however I am with TryingToUnderstand...especially since you have already taken the HP. Besides Capital one is really good about converting sercured accounts to regular accounts with demonstrated responsibilty. Usually 6 mos to a couple of years, they will convert your secured card to a regular CL and send you a check for your initial deposit used to open the secured account. Do not close it just to get your money back, lol.