Question about Amex reporting "potentially positive" on credit report
Long story but about 30 years ago I was credit-stupid and defaulted on and allowed my 8 or so cards to go into collections and get charged off. This included an Amex gold card.

About 15 years ago I tried to open a bank account and they asked me about the listing of "American Exp" listing on my credit report and I had to tell them I had no idea what it was since I never even thought of any credit cards still being listed after 15 years. They denied opening an account.

I never did pull a credit report at that time to see what it was, and for years I have assumed I simply have terrible credit. About 4 years ago I applied for a "pre-approved" HSBC card and got accepted for a low limit unsecured card. I've never missed a payment on it.

At the time that I applied got the HSBC card, I pulled a free credit report and saw that American Express to this day still lists the charged off account as "potentially positive" instead of "negative". They list the old balance and in the notes state that they closed the account 30 years ago. They also have been posting this information every month for the past 30 years.

I'm assuming since they list it as "potentially positive", they're allowed to keep renewing it (forever?) since a negative would go away after 10 years.

Other than that one "potentially positive" listing, my credit report is now clean, no negatives, a perfect 100% payment record (for the 4 years I've had the HSBC), and a TU FICO of 729 (which I saw when I got a Chase Card last month).

I assumed my credit score was not terrible since my bank pre-approved a $4,000 limit world mastercard last June. Discover also sent me a pre-approved app for the Discover It card, which I also applied for and got immediately approved online without a hard pull.

So I'm wondering if I need to go back to Amex and pay off the 30-year-old debt to finally get it removed from my credit report? There has been no communication with them for at least 28 or 29 years.

Thanks for any info.