Use rewards credit cards to get benefits for each dollar you spend, typically in the form of redeemable points. Rewards credit cards are great for people who don't carry a monthly credit card balance. When used as your primary card, a rewards credit card could quickly help you get things like that flat-screen TV or trip to Hawaii. Keep in mind that these cards generally require a good to excellent credit rating for approval and often come with a higher interest rate. If you carry a balance month-to-month, you'll probably end up paying many times over in interest what you get back in rewards. These are some of the most popular rewards credit cards from Credit Karma's partners.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points when you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 in travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- $0 foreign transaction fees, plus chip-enabled for enhanced security and wider acceptance when used at a chip card reader
- 1:1 point transfer to leading frequent travel programs at full value - that means 1,000 Chase Ultimate Rewards points equal 1,000 partner miles/points
- Travel and shop with confidence with premium Travel and Purchase Protection Benefits, including Trip Cancellation/Trip Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Purchase Protection and more
- 24/7 direct access to dedicated customer service specialists
- Introductory Annual Fee of $0 the first year, then $95
Pros & Cons
- 2 points for every dollar spent on travel and restaurants
- 20% off on travel purchases made using points
- No foreign transaction fee
- Requires excellent credit
- Annual fee after the first year
- No intro APRs
The Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card is a travel rewards card aimed at excellent credit consumers.
What to Like
Cardholders get 2 points for every dollar spent on travel and restaurants, and 1 point for every other dollar spent on purchases. The Chase Ultimate Rewards program offers a 20% discount on travel purchases made using points. The card also has no foreign transaction fee and offers a 50,000 point bonus if you spend $4,000 in the first 3 months.
What to Look For
After the first year, there’s a $95 annual fee. There’s no intro APR for purchases or balance transfers.
- Earn 10,000 Membership Reward® points after you use your new Card to make $1,000 in purchases within the first 3 months.
- Terms and limitations apply.
- Earn 20% more points: Make 20 or more purchases with your Card in a billing period and get 20% extra points on those purchases less returns and credits. Terms and limitations apply.
- 2x points at US supermarkets, on up to $6,000 per year in purchases (then 1x); 1x points on other purchases. Terms and limitations apply.
- You can use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points to pay for all or part of your flight, hotel booked and paid in advance, vacation or cruise booking.
- No annual fee. Plus, 0% intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for 15 months, then a variable rate, currently 12.99% to 21.99%, based on your creditworthiness and other factors.
- Visit our credit card partner’s site in order to learn more and securely apply for The Amex EveryDay® Credit Card from American Express
Pros & Cons
- No annual fee
- 0% intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for 15 months
- Requires good to excellent credit
- High penalty APR
The Amex EveryDay® Credit Card from American Express has plenty of rewards-earning potential.
What to Like
The Amex EveryDay® Credit Card from American Express is a great card for accumulating rewards on everyday purchases. Cardholders can get 2x points at U.S. supermarkets on up to $6,000 per year in purchases (then 1x), along with a one-time bonus of 10,000 points after spending $1,000 on eligible purchases in the first three months of membership. This card also offers a 0% introductory APR for 15 months on purchases and balance transfers.
Look Out For
This card has a high penalty APR that applies for at least six months after a late payment, so it’s important to stay on-time with your payments.
Additional Rewards Credit Cards
- Earn a $150 Bonus after you spend $500 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening
- Earn a $25 Bonus after you add your first authorized user and make a purchase within this same 3 - month period
- 0% Intro APR for 15 months on purchases and balance transfers. After the intro period, a variable APR of 13.99-22.99%
- Earn 5% cash back on up to $1,500 in combined purchases in bonus categories each quarter you activate
- Enjoy new 5% categories every 3 months like Gas Stations, Restaurants, and Select Grocery Stores
- Unlimited 1% cash back on all other purchases - it’s automatic
- Cash Back rewards never expire as long as your account is open
- No annual fee
- 2X points on purchases for gas, groceries and utilities
- 1X points on all other purchases
- No annual fee
- Points don't expire as long as account is open, active and in good standing
- No limits on the number of points you can earn or redeem
- Starting at 1,000 points for $10, points can be redeemed for statement credits and gift cards
- Chip card technology, so paying for your purchases is more secure at chip-card terminals in the U.S. and abroad
- $0 Fraud Liability on unauthorized charges
- Get 5,000 Plenti® points after you spend $250 in purchases on your Plenti® Credit Card from Amex within your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Terms and restrictions apply.
- No Annual Fee and No Annual Fee for Additional Cards.
- 3 Plenti points at US supermarkets (on up to $6,000 per year in purchases), 2 points at US restaurants and 1 point on other purchases for each eligible dollar spent. Terms apply.
- Get points in addition to what you can with the Plenti® rewards program. Learn More.
- Use Plenti® points for things you already buy at AT&T company-owned stores, Macy's and more! Terms and limitations apply.
- Visit our credit card partner’s site in order to learn more and securely apply for The Plenti® Credit Card from Amex
* See the online Provider's credit card application for details about terms and conditions. Reasonable efforts are made to maintain accurate information. However all credit card information is presented without warranty. When you click on the "Apply Now" button, you can review the credit card terms and conditions on the provider's website.
† We look at how your credit profile compares to other Credit Karma members who were approved for this product. Of course, there’s no such thing as a sure thing, but knowing whether your Approval Odds are Very Good, Good, Fair or Poor may help you narrow down your choices.