I have card offers form citi ,discover, have 9 inquires should I apply or wait ?

Most Helpful Response

This Depends

This really depends.  Why do you have so many inquiries?  In some scoring models, if you have several inquiries for the same reason within a very short period of time they will be scored as 1 single inquiry.  For example, if you are getting a mortgage and are looking for rates at three banks, those inquiries may be considered as only one.  This is only true under certain scoring models though.  So keep that in mind.

I will say this, I have had as many as 11 inquiries on my reports at a time (Still had a FICO score of 660).  This was because I was shopping for an auto loan and had a few inquiries from that.  While having all those inquiries, I also got a Discover card.  When the inquiry was reported, my score dropped 3 points.  After approval, my score rose 11 points a net gain of 8 points.  BE AWARE:  YOUR CREDIT PROFILE MAY (MOST LIKELY IS) BE DIFFERENT THAN MINE AND HAVE A DIFFERENT OUTCOME.

Without knowing your credit profile we cannot make a reasonable recommendation. 

The choice is up to you but be aware that every hard credit inquiry can lower your credit score from 3 - 7 points per application even if you are not approved for the credit card. It is typically recommended that you keep hard credit inquiries to no more than 2 per year. If you already have 9 inquiries, additional inquiries could affect your credit score negatively for up to 2 years.

First, you need to determine what type of offer did you get, are they targeted offer or just some generic/general marketing? Look at terms and conditions, what inter rate dose it says you pre-qual at, is it range of interest rate like 13.24~22.24%  or it gives you a set/specific rate? with Discoer it's with-in three percent range like 12~15%.  And on the letter somewhere dose it mentioned about how you can opt-out the pre-screened offers and phone number you can call to do so?, this would be bit difficult, do you have access to the credit reports that show you soft inquiries? if those companies show up recently? Those are some indicators to see what types of offer they are. Citibank's pre-qual is pretty solid, give it a whirl and see what pops up, don't bother with Discover's.

Second, are those 9 inquiries total from all three bureaus, like 3 from each, or its 9 from each, it makes bit of differences. The inquiries by themselves isnt a prominent issue, how's your overall credit profile looks, clean or with baddies?, how severe are the baddies, one late payment from 5 years ago ot couple of collections from 3 years ago or tax liens/judgements?

I wouldn't. Nine is too many by any scoring system. Those cards will still be out there when your inquiries drop off.
Also, if you wait, then your score will almost certainly be higher, and when Citi and Discover approve your applications they will probably have a higher credit limit than if you do it now.