Question

theleiman

I have a credit score of 757 and want to get into the rewards of churning credit cards. Any advice?
Have done a bit of "churning" and have scoured the net for advice from the pros. I have excellent credit as does my wife 750+ and we pay off our credit card bills in full each month. I don't think we're reaping all the advantages of the sign up bonuses of new credit cards and she is more wary than me.

We recently refinanced and have no new major purchases lined up for awhile so we're in a good spot for churning from what I've read. Does too much churning hurt my credit score too much or does it even help?

Most Helpful Response

Not a pro, just another CK user. But yes, churning could hurt you. Any time you have more than a couple of hard inquiries a year and/or a lot of new credit, you're setting off alarm bells in the scoring system.

Nobody can say exactly what the effect on your individual credit would be because everyone's credit picture is different. Whatever you do, it's going to be trial-and-error. But you could start the process, watch your credit carefully, then pull back and take a couple of years for your score to recover if it doesn't go well. And of course only you can know whether the rewards of churning outweigh the potential damage to your score.

thanks

thanks for your thoughts clarissa!