Credit Score
  • info This chart details the percent of cardholders that a credit score that currently falls within the given score ranges.
  • info This chart displays the average credit score across all holders of this card, every month, for the past year.
Credit Limit
  • info This chart details the percent of cardholders whose credit limit on this card currently falls within the given amount ranges.
  • info This chart displays the average credit limit of all holders of this card whose current credit score falls within the given score ranges.
  • info This chart displays the average credit limit of all holders of this card whose current age falls within the given age ranges.
  • info This chart details the percent of cardholders whose current balance on this card falls within the given amount ranges.
  • info This chart displays the average current balance for all holders of this card whose current credit score falls within the given score ranges.
  • info This chart displays the average current balance for all holders of this card whose current age falls within the given age ranges.
  • info This chart details the percent of cardholders whose current credit limit utilization for this card falls within the given utilization ranges.
  • info This chart displays the average credit limit utilization for all holders of this card whose current credit score falls within the given score ranges.
  • info This chart displays the average credit limit utilization for all holders of this card whose current age falls within the given age ranges.
Age of Cardholder
  • info This chart details the percent of cardholders whose current age falls within the given age ranges.
Sample Size: 1,706
Data Created: October 01, 2013

139 Cardholder Reviews

Results 1-10 of 139Results per page: 5 | 10 | 25Page 1 of 14   Previous | Next

Took 2 tries but I got it!! Helpful to 34 out of 36 people

I applied back in March and was denied due to not having another CC with a similar credit limit of the $5000 minimum on the Sapphire Preferred. Back then my FICOs were EQ704 and TU709. After 6 months of working on my credit and getting new cards with larger limits, and getting increases on current cards, I applied last week and was approved!! I was approved with FICOs of EX715, EQ729. My AAoA is 3+ years, utilization of 1%, and my other CLs were $4250, $4000 and 2 $1250. They instantly approved me for $5000! Called the regular customer service number and had them overnight it to me for Friday because I wanted to book a trip. It didn't end up arriving. Ended up calling the Sapphire specific line and had them overnight it to me for Monday. I did receive it Monday but not at my business address as I had requested. O well, atleast it wasn't stolen out of my mail box(I live on a busy street)

So far I love it. It's a beautiful card, and has some heft to it. I've already received many compliments on it. The 40,000 bonus points(after spending $3k) surely doesn't hurt as I have already almost reached $2k spending on it.

Booking flights through Ultimate Rewards mall isn't cheaper in my experience. It does give you 3 points/dollar. But you can book through another travel website via a link on the site, and it will give you 4points/dollar, and its cheaper.

This card gives you 2 points/dollar when spent on travel(including taxis and tolls), 7% dividend on points earned in the year, no forex fees. Also if you have the Chase Trifecta(a chase checking account and the Freedom cards) the rewards really start adding up!

SwiftTone's review was:

Oct 17, 2012 Reply

Approved with Only Fair Credit Helpful to 18 out of 19 people

Don't be discouraged if your credit score, history isn't excellent, or you don't have other high limits.  I have a 690 TU Fico and a 680 Equifax FICO, 700 on Credit Karma and they listed my chance of this card as "Poor".  Also, I have 27 lates in my history, including a 90 in 2007, and a 60 in 2009 on my car loan.  Only two of those 30 day lates are in the last 2.5 years though, and none in 2013.

To top it off, I had no high limits on my cards.  I had 2 Chase Cards with $250 & $300 limits, a BOA with $500, Capital 1 with $300, and Cap 1 turned me down for a Credit Limit Increase.

Well, I went on Chase site and used their pre-qual tool, and Freedom came up, I applied and was approved for $5,000.  Next day, I decided I wanted to pair with Sapphire Preferred.  I thought for sure declined, but was approved for $6,000.  Only telling you because it is nice to know Chase looks at other factors besides raw score and history, and if you have a similar profile to mine, don't be discouraged from applying.

In my case I had $75K income, up a lot from prior years due to promotion, had paid all my cards down to zero so low Utilization, and had 2 credit cards, a checking, and a savings with Chase for years.  I believe it was my combo of good debt to income & prior relationship with Chase that allowed me to be approved despite having a relatively low score.

So, don't be discouraged if Credit Karma tells you "poor".  And use Chase Pre-Qual, someone had told me if an offer pops up for you, there's a very good chance of approval.

supervelous's review was:

Aug 23, 2013 Reply

supervelous(1, 18)

Review by supervelous

Applied for this card over the weekend. Denied. CK 709, Vantage 788, EQ FICO 709, TU FICO 704. Utilization is 5%. Denied because my other CC did not have high enough for a CL. Make sure you have a high enough CL on your other cards, definitely around $3-4000.

SwiftTone's review was:

Mar 19, 2012 Reply

Top Contributor

Sorry that you got declined. I've read in some reviews that people have called them after being rejected, and they got approved. You might want to tell them that you are interested in Sapphire not Sapphire Prefered. These are two different cards. Sapphire has no annual fee whereas Sapphire Prefered  has $95 fee. Also, the score required for Sapphire is slightly lower than Sapphire Prefered. If you know that your credit history is good, and you just don't have high CL on your other cards, try calling and talking to them. Good luck.

bullbreaker's reply was:

Mar 21, 2012

bullbreaker(4, 16)

Review by bullbreaker

Actually it is $5,000, which is a minimum for a Visa Signature Credit Card, regardless on the issuer.

DragonBoss's reply was:

May 22, 2013

DragonBoss(13, 49)

Review by DragonBoss

Top Contributor

I did call for a recon, twice. On my second recond, I asked if you can use this application for a lesser card, and they said 1 card per application.

To my understanding, Sapphire also has a minimum for $5000 CL

I don't mind the annual fee, because even at 1pt per dollar, the rewards will outweigh the annual fee.

SwiftTone's reply was:

Mar 22, 2012

Top Contributor

Call the customer re consideration line. I"m not sure what the number is. But i'm sure if you called the cahse number and talked to one of the customer service reps they couldent give it to you! I have heard countless stories about people getting deined. They call for re-considersation and then Boom! Aprooved! Also do this for your credit as well. Getting denied for anything is never a good thing on your credit score. Looks like you have a good credit score. And handle your money well. Call them back up and let us know how it works our for you!

Lbrother517's reply was:

korytest's reply was:

Jan 10, 2013

korytest(2, 3)

Review by korytest

Update:

Was approved. See if it helps you too.

here it is:

ttnfrst's reply was:

Oct 25, 2013

ttnfrst(6, 387)

Review by ttnfrst

Approved at 19 with a Karma 704 Helpful to 7 out of 7 people

I will post this on both the regular and the preferred.

To start off i am 19 with 2 other cards and 7 inquiries. I have a Wells Fargo with a $1500 limit and a capital one with a $750 limit. Credit Karma score of 704.

my utilization currently is %30.

I applied for the regular chase sapphire, I was instantly approved for a $5000 limit which was like craziness considering my highest limit was curently $1500. So for a whole day i could hardly keep a smile off my face. after reading all the reviews and how the Sapphire Preferred is truly worth the annual fee, i called the number (888)-245-0625. The back door number. to talk to someone about if i could just trasfer it to the Preferred and if i had to reapply blah blah. She told me i had to reapply but if i got declined they would almost certainly let me close the regular and transfer the balance to the preferred. She said because i already had a $5000 limit that there was a good chance i would be declined but not to worry because of what she just told me. I went home and applied for the preferred. I was instantly approved again for $5000. I called to cancel the first card and then he said he was transfering the credit limit to one card to consolidate the line. I would then have a $10,000 Limit. I almost wet myself. That is crazy.

As of now i have a Sapphire Preferred with a $10,000 limit at 19. with an annual income of $30,000. The customer service was great, they never acted like i was trying to get away with something. Super helpful. I am now waiting for the card in the mail. So excited.

BlakeTampa's review was:

Oct 29, 2013 Reply

BlakeTampa(3, 16)

Review by BlakeTampa

Excellent card for travelers. Helpful to 7 out of 7 people

I have a preffered card and I have been using it for about 10 months. I got this one instantly approved (had a FICO score of 725) for $7500. The coolest features of this card are :

Pros :

1) Direct customer response. you no longer need to press 1 or 2 and do all that **** and wait for long time.

2) No foreign transaction fee. I went abroad and the forex rate was exactly as per WSJ (10 to 15 cents less, which is fine with me and alot better than other ones).

3) Love the way the rewards are shown transparetly and you get 1X more for booking through ultimaterewards.

4) Best customer response I have experienced with any other credit cards I have. ( I was shopping and I need to have some extra credit line, they have instantly raised my creit line to $12000). BTW I also have Chase freedom and I have been using it since 4 years or more.

5) You can get 20% cheaper when you are using your points. For example if I have 10,000 which are actually worth $100, while making reservation, I can get upto $120.00.

6) Get 1X extra points for dining on fridays.

7) best flight and car rental deals around and you need not check 2 or 3 websites, everytime when you have a travel plan. But still I take a peek into the other travel deals and mostly its a waste of time (and thats my opinion).

Cons :

1) I think they will have to figure out a proper way for cancelations. you can always cancel a reservation with a $200.00 fee for flights, but this free if its within 24 hours of the reservation time. But this is alot better, when compared to other credit cards.

Raj6's review was:

Aug 05, 2013 Reply

Raj6(3, 10)

Review by Raj6

Had to call reconsideration line twice! 7 year old Bankruptcy on report. First lady rep said "Nope!"  Called back 3 hours later, second male rep said "Welcome to Chase!"  I was approved for Chase Sapphire Preferred with $5000 CL.  Glad I called twice and didn't take no for an answer.  Thanks to the advice of many forums regarding this card and Chase, I was able to be another success story in my ability to obtain this card.  There is hope after BK if you reestablish credit and do the right thing!

706TU; 687EQ; 738EXP,  CK711

danielestis's review was:

Jul 21, 2012 Reply

danielestis(3, 16)

Review by danielestis

So glad to hear it! I love this card as well! I'm glad that you got reconsidered, even if it was the second time.

Lbrother517's reply was:

Jun 23, 2013

Lbrother517(8, 16)

Review by Lbrother517

As a long term chase customer, after United plus and Chase Freedom, I decided finally to give Sapphire preferred a try.  I applied last week  n was instantly approved online with CK score=775.  The card came in this morning along with all cc agreement stuff.  CL=9K and was asked by rep during card activation if that is enough for me, if not, they can rise the limit.  Made a second call in the afternoon to see if I can switch to MC from VISA since my stupid school doesn't accept VISA, so i can't pay my tuition.  She helped me through the process with all perks remain and notified me that I will have 45 days period to switch back to VISA if I desire so...wow...so far so good...Love the card~

Sashimiboy's review was:

Sep 07, 2012 Reply

Sashimiboy(7, 29)

Review by Sashimiboy

Went to the bank and got approved instantly. 740 credit, 5 HI, 1y1m credit history, 5k limit. Wouldnt have applied for this card if it wasnt for creditkarma. Thanks!

Aug 27, 2012 Reply

What other cards did you have at the time and what were your limits? I am currently 18 and have about 3 months credit history with 1 card that is a $500 limit. I presume that will go up in a couple months as i have 8% utilization and make all payments on time in full. My CK is 702 right now. I have a college checking with chase and i was thinking in about a year (or like when i turn 19 i would go apply for the CSP). It is a cool metallic card with great rewards benefits. Also, my income is about $20k. Do you think it is beneficial to go into a branch to apply for the card as opposed to applying online? I just feel like going in gives you a chance to meet face to face and I feel like it just would increase your chances....idk though.

jdavis812's reply was:

Jun 25, 2013

jdavis812(8, 10)

Review by jdavis812

This is my go-to card. Even with the fee it's a definite keeper. If you travel out of the country at least once or twice a year and earn enough rewards that more than offset the annual fee, there aren't too many rewards cards I can think of at the top of my head that surpass this one. All my chargeable expenses are put on this card. Like any other card, always pay the balance off in full as soon and as often as you can. The moment you start falling into the interest-trap is when you negate any benefits the rewards program may offer. Barring any drastic changes to the program, I can see myself using this card indefinitely.

brianb032's review was:

Sep 06, 2011 Reply

brianb032(2, 17)

Review by brianb032

Both Sapphire Cards Approved Helpful to 4 out of 4 people

I applied for the regular chase sapphire card because I wanted a good rewards card. Instant approval for 5k limit within seconds. After further looking into the preferred card I wanted those benefits a lot more so decided I would take the inquiry and reapply for that card about a week later. Another 5k instant approval. I had poor chance of approval through credit karma...

2y2m credit history. Have Amex($800) and capital one($2,250) with cs of 721(dropped after leasing a new car)

torl4ndo99's review was:

Applicable
  • Purchase Regular APR 15.99%* Variable
  • Annual Fee $0 intro first year, then $95
Learn More Visit Application Page

Cardholder Rating Distribution (139)

Top Similar Cards

Chase Card services offers a diverse assortment of products and benefits for consumers’ credit needs, such as rewards cards, travel cards, miles cards, business cards, student cards, as well as its most popular credit card, the Chase Freedom card. Chase also has numerous partnerships with retailers and merchants for co-branded credit cards backed by Chase. Credit cards are issued by Chase Bank, the banking subsidiary of JP Morgan Chase & Co and one of the biggest banks in the United States. Chase Bank provides personal banking, small business, mortgage, auto finance, investing, and a full-service array of banking services.

Chase Bank, formerly known as Chase Manhattan Bank, grew rapidly in the past decade, merging with J.P. Morgan & Co. in 2000 and renamed to Chase Bank. Today, Chase is one of the biggest banks in the United States. Established over 200 years ago, JP Morgan Chase & Co. is a global financial services company with more than $2.1 trillion in assets with operations in 60 countries.

Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card