Question

Purple212

Will getting a secured credit card help my credit score or does it need to be a regular credit card

Most Helpful Response

Secured can help!

Sometimes you may have no choice when it comes to getting a tradeline added to your account than it being secured, whether it's a secured credit card or installment loan.  That being said, any positive payment history helps your credit rating.  So, if you don't qualify for an unsecured loan or credit card, by all means get one of the secured variety.  I had a secured card for almost two years and it really worked wonders for my credit scores.  I kept the balance under 20% of the limit and paid that off each month.  My scores were all in the 500's, but Capital One still approved me for an unsecured Platinum Card, so this may also be an option for you.  I decided to open both around the same time so I could build up a positive payment history and increase the average age of accounts on my reports.  I'm glad I did.  All of my scores now hover around the 700 mark in less than two years and the two small credit lines I opened in Spring 2015 definitely contributed to that.  (As a side note, I also paid off collection accounts)