First Progress Platinum Elite MasterCard® Secured Credit Card Reviews

• Balance Transfer Regular APR Not Applicable
  • Purchase Intro APR Not Applicable
  • Purchase Regular APR 19.99%* Variable

Our Take

For people with limited credit histories, the First Progress Platinum Elite MasterCard® Secured Credit Card offers a way to start building.

What to Like

The First Progress Platinum Elite MasterCard® Secured Credit Card reports monthly to all three major credit bureaus, making it useful for building credit with on-time payments and other responsible use. There’s no minimum credit score or length of credit history needed for approval, and your credit limit may be increased over time without additional deposits.

Look Out For

The card comes with a $29 annual fee. It’s also a secured card, meaning you’ll have to put down a deposit equal to the amount of your initial credit limit.

Oct 05, 2013
Good card for rebuilding your credit
Anonymous Cardholder

This is a great company to rebuild a solid credit history. I admit their website could use updating, especially when it comes to making online payments. Every time I've contacted them, they are very friendly. I've had this card for 2 years now with a 2,000. Cl. Just make sure you pay off the entire balance 10 days before due date, and watch your credit score rocket.

May 26, 2015
Good if you can't get a card otherwise
josephcmcclain1 Cardholder

I applied and was approved for this secured card in January of 2014 after a bankruptcy. The good things to say about this card: It can be used to rent a car, there is a grace period, it reports to all 3 credit bureaus, annual fee is reasonable, and the customer service isn't outsourced overseas. The reasons why I closed this card: It doesn't graduate to an unsecured card, there isn't an option for paperless e-statements, the only way to pay the account is by snail mail or your bank's billpay. There is a long payment hold if you mail a check. There is a 70 day period before you receive the security deposit back. As of the time of this post, 70 days haven't passed since I closed the account.

I opened 4 secured cards all at the same time. First National Bank of Omaha, First Progress, Opensky, and Armed Forces Bank. If you can qualify, FNBO is my favorite. They post payments right away, the card has Collision Damage Waiver for car rentals, customer service isn't outsourced and I graduated to an unsecured in 9 months, automatically. Opensky didn't do a credit check, posts payments right away (took a few months payment history) and can be used for car rentals. Armed Forces didn't do a credit check either, but their secured card can't be used for car rentals and they hold all payments for 5 business days though they claim they'll upgrade cardholders to an unsecured card when they qualify.

May 25, 2017
Great starter card. but get a better one
BradfordCC Cardholder

No online payment. All paper. No paperless.

Started with this card. Now I got a Bank of America and a citi card

grateful for them to hook me up. They report and do what they say. However for long term...more then a year. You gotta get a better card.

I got mailed offers from all the big cards.

Ty for helping me rebuild my credit. They are cool and answer your phone call.

Aloha

May 08, 2017
HELPS CREDIT

WENT FROM LOW 500 TO 604 IN 18 MONTHS. WISH THE APR WAS LOWER BUT ANNUAL FEE ISNT TO BAD.

Apr 07, 2017
No app only paper and checks.
BradfordCC Cardholder

Got it but I'm worried about mailing checks and missed payments.

Glad they reported it accurately over the first 2 months but I will update in 2 months if their are any issues.

cool people on the phone but the card is just ok. Good starter card

Feb 23, 2017
NO online payments, NO online anything!
BradfordCC Cardholder

No online payments and no online anything. No app no way to review purchases. Easy approval but wow this is weird. Seems like a scam.

Everything is through the mail. Very hard to talk to someone. Be careful! I will update this in 60 days.

You have to mail checks or it's very hard to make payments over the phone. No confirmation of payments received and lots of fees. $10 to make a payment. Something doesn't make sense.

I now have it and I hope they do not mess up my credit. There has to be a better option. I mailed a money order today. 14 days early and I will see if my $29 fee is paid. I sent in $50 just to make sure.

online is way more cost efficient so I have no idea why they only want checks and mailing of everything.

Sep 16, 2016
Rimera13 Cardholder

This is a scam! Buyer beware, you can't make payments over the phone or talk to customer service. You can only mail checks to a P.O. Box. Probably a way to steal youe information. Sent them $300 so I could fix my credit, now I'm paying more than that to a collection agency. Well, at least the collection agency lets you pay over the phone!

Jul 13, 2016
Easy Process!
JackRich01 Cardholder

I applied for the card on July 2, 2016. My security deposit was $300 and I paid another $19.95 for express shipping. I was approved on July 4, 2016 and received my card in the mail on July 13, 2016. I registered my card online where you can make payments to your account. All I have to do now is be responsible with the card. Haven't called customer service yet so I don't know how they are.

Mar 15, 2017

Hello, I was reading the recent reviews and they were saying there is no where for them to make payments online. But, I see your comment has the online option to make payments. I applied an got approved just waiting on my card to come in the mail. I'm hoping I can make payments online too.

Jun 02, 2016
Perfect for Rebuilding
brittanygc Cardholder

I've had this card for about 4 months now. I try to keep my balance low and pay it down to 30% utilization or less each month. I like to carry a balance of some sort into the new month so it shows some utilization. My score has went from around 420 to 577 in those 4 months. I've also had 2 collections fall off my account in that time. Looking forward to it continually increasing so I can apply for non-secured cards. May also add another of these soon so my score will increase faster.

Payments are quick and easy! I use my bank's online bill pay and payments are sent electronically to First Progress - posting the next business day. Super convenient!

Also - once I made the deposit, I had my card within 10 business days, so seemed pretty fast compared to what others have reported.

I haven't needed to use customer service yet - so I don't have a comment/opinion on how well it is. Overall I really love the card for what it's doing for me and the purpose I needed it for. A+ Would recommend.

Credit Score
Credit Limit
60+ Days Past Due Status
Age of Cardholder

Sample Size: 4,144
Data Created: February 02, 2015

Note: Sample data consists of Credit Karma members who hold this card.

First Progress Platinum Elite MasterCard® Secured Credit Card