First Progress Platinum Elite MasterCard® Secured Credit Card

• Balance Transfer Regular APR Not Applicable
  • Purchase Intro APR Not Applicable
  • Purchase Regular APR 19.99%* Variable

Our Take

For people with limited credit histories, the First Progress Platinum Elite MasterCard® Secured Credit Card offers a way to start building.

What to Like

The First Progress Platinum Elite MasterCard® Secured Credit Card reports monthly to all three major credit bureaus, making it useful for building credit with on-time payments and other responsible use. There’s no minimum credit score or length of credit history needed for approval, and your credit limit may be increased over time without additional deposits.

Look Out For

The card comes with a $29 annual fee. It’s also a secured card, meaning you’ll have to put down a deposit equal to the amount of your initial credit limit.

Apr 07, 2017
No app only paper and checks.
BradfordCC Cardholder

Got it but I'm worried about mailing checks and missed payments.

Glad they reported it accurately over the first 2 months but I will update in 2 months if their are any issues.

cool people on the phone but the card is just ok. Good starter card

Feb 23, 2017
NO online payments, NO online anything!
BradfordCC Cardholder

No online payments and no online anything. No app no way to review purchases. Easy approval but wow this is weird. Seems like a scam.

Everything is through the mail. Very hard to talk to someone. Be careful! I will update this in 60 days.

You have to mail checks or it's very hard to make payments over the phone. No confirmation of payments received and lots of fees. $10 to make a payment. Something doesn't make sense.

I now have it and I hope they do not mess up my credit. There has to be a better option. I mailed a money order today. 14 days early and I will see if my $29 fee is paid. I sent in $50 just to make sure.

online is way more cost efficient so I have no idea why they only want checks and mailing of everything.

Sep 16, 2016
Rimera13 Cardholder

This is a scam! Buyer beware, you can't make payments over the phone or talk to customer service. You can only mail checks to a P.O. Box. Probably a way to steal youe information. Sent them $300 so I could fix my credit, now I'm paying more than that to a collection agency. Well, at least the collection agency lets you pay over the phone!

Jul 13, 2016
Easy Process!
JackRich01 Cardholder

I applied for the card on July 2, 2016. My security deposit was $300 and I paid another $19.95 for express shipping. I was approved on July 4, 2016 and received my card in the mail on July 13, 2016. I registered my card online where you can make payments to your account. All I have to do now is be responsible with the card. Haven't called customer service yet so I don't know how they are.

Mar 15, 2017

Hello, I was reading the recent reviews and they were saying there is no where for them to make payments online. But, I see your comment has the online option to make payments. I applied an got approved just waiting on my card to come in the mail. I'm hoping I can make payments online too.

Jun 02, 2016
Perfect for Rebuilding
brittanygc Cardholder

I've had this card for about 4 months now. I try to keep my balance low and pay it down to 30% utilization or less each month. I like to carry a balance of some sort into the new month so it shows some utilization. My score has went from around 420 to 577 in those 4 months. I've also had 2 collections fall off my account in that time. Looking forward to it continually increasing so I can apply for non-secured cards. May also add another of these soon so my score will increase faster.

Payments are quick and easy! I use my bank's online bill pay and payments are sent electronically to First Progress - posting the next business day. Super convenient!

Also - once I made the deposit, I had my card within 10 business days, so seemed pretty fast compared to what others have reported.

I haven't needed to use customer service yet - so I don't have a comment/opinion on how well it is. Overall I really love the card for what it's doing for me and the purpose I needed it for. A+ Would recommend.

Credit Score
Credit Limit
60+ Days Past Due Status
Age of Cardholder

Sample Size: 4,144
Data Created: February 02, 2015

Note: Sample data consists of Credit Karma members who hold this card.

First Progress Platinum Elite MasterCard® Secured Credit Card