Question

tdmarm

have bankruptcy and want to get secured credit card
I applied for a Capital One Secured credit card about five months ago. My credit score was about 530 then but I have a 9 year old bankruptcy. I was denied but not sure why. My question is, I have a 562 score now and a good auto loan with good standing (6 months old now). How do I know if I was denied because of the bankruptcy or because of the credit score? CK has the Capital One as the most recommended for my credit. Does that mean I should apply or what? Don't want to knock myself down again and be denied. Really need some good advice about this. Thanks.

Don't apply for anything based on CK's recommendations, those are just ads.  Capital One should have told you why you were denied a card (high utilization, collection accounts, etc.); that is the law.  I recommend you visit www.creditcards.com and look at the secured credit cards there, and be sure to compare all the rates, fees, etc.  Get one that reports to all three bureaus.  In addition, you can check with your current bank/credit union and see if they offer any secured cards or offer a "credit builder" loan.  Best of luck!

Thanks so much...

Thanks for your response. I got a little anxious and applied for the First Progress card last night. Hopefully it will work out. Thanks again and I hope to go on to great scores......