Question

JermCastillo

Should I finance a laptop purchase?
I have a credit score of 660 and I want to pick up a new, sub-$500 laptop on credit from a major electronics retail store. It will be used for my hobby/side-business of blogging.

Possibly, it depends on your benefits.

First off, does your electronics retail card offer bonuses (reward points, in-store credit or no-interest promotions) for making such a hefty purchase through them? If you didn't mean you were picking it up with a store credit card, will your credit card give you cash back or some other incentive like points?

If you're not being given incentives, and you're paying interest, you could put in over $200 in interest just making the minimum payment on that laptop. With that being said, if you ABSOLUTELY need a laptop, putting it on credit is much better than using a place like rent-a-center. I always stick things on credit, even if I have the money to pay it ASAP, as it racks up bonuses and cash back.