Question

YoungScoreBuilder

How seriously can I take an American Express pre-approval?
Hi, I am a college student who will be graduating this December (2016). I will soon be starting a summer internship (with a high probability of permanent employment) that will require me to do a lot of travelling, and fronting the travel costs on personal accounts (likely a lot).

I was looking to open a new credit card with rewards that would best fit the kinds of expenses I will be facing. My CK Transunion Score is 728 and Equifax is 742 and I currently hold a Discover It Student card. I was pre-approved by American Express for a few of their cards (including their "Blue" cards), but I know that American Express is a little more prestigious than most, and tend to cater to more upscale crowds. Should I risk applying for their card and adding a hard inquiry to my report? I'm trying to keep my score as high as possible so that I can get a good car loan when I graduate.

So bottom line, do you think my odds of approval are very high? Any suggestions for a card that would be more likely and reward my travel expenditures? Thanks everybody!