Credit Card Reviews Advertiser Disclosure

Find Out More

Ratings by Category

Cardholder Ratings

Dec 26, 2013
More plastic to play with
Danbo777 Cardholder

Ok, not to play with, but it's just funny how excited I get at 43 and get approved for another card while I try and redeem myself. I'm a documentation nut so like my other two cards, I'll be updating this post (via reply) once a month or as more info comes in. A few notes to start with:

My myFico scores are: Experian= 599, Equifax= 643 & Transunion= 633.

CK score: 629 (Just dropped from 696, but I prefer myFico for accuracy, CK for all the cool tools and reviews).

Approved for $300.

I've read many people here state that the application process didn't do a hard inquiry, but from my research it leans more toward that it does (not 100% yet but will be next update). I see a few people referring to Walmart money card which is a totally different animal and is a prepaid. Again, I like love free information on public forums and these reviews, but will see for myself and report back as soon as I know.

The application worried me for a minute because after I submitted it and it said I was approved, the bottom right link said "Pay now". I read the fine print before hand and saw there was no annual fee or member fee, but it certainly had me questioning myself. I clicked the link and the application page reopened with half my information filled in, looking like it was expecting me to fill it out all over again. No idea what happened there, but I did not fill it out again.

This card gets five stars easily for the simple fact that it's the first of my now three (Capital One Secured & Credit One Visa - non secured) that actually gives you a temporary number right away. In fact they currently have a promotion going on that if you spend $75 on Walmart's site the same day you get approved, they will give you $25 off. Now before people run to try for it, I read the fine print on this as well. Only slightly negative thing is that they state the $25 will appear on your statement after your first or second billing cycle. So just don't expect it right away to come off the price. This is also going to end in a couple weeks. I imagine this sort of promotion happens often though. This is verbatim what it says:

"Save $25 when you open a Walmart® Credit Card and spend $75 today (paid as a statement credit). Offer valid September 19, 2013 through January 31, 2014."

I did more research and found some posts on myFico that someone was actually complaining about how fast they reported the information to the credit bureaus. I'm still amazed they were upset. I think I know why but it's because people don't understand the all popular topic of credit utilization. He stated they reported to the credit bureaus after only 3 days from the time he got approved. Another thing I will update next time. If that were the case, and people did take on this promotion to spend at least $75 in order to get $25 back in a month or two, then that would certainly put someone over the comfortable threshold of spending below 30% of a $300 card. If you have questions after reading this next paragraph, either ask by replying, or for faster answers, see my profile and read my Capital One or Credit One posts.

People think credit utilization is a constant. That's just not how it is at all. I only speak facts here folks, but easily checked through a phone call to your bank (don't chat, they're horrible with info I think). The credit card companies normally inform the CRA's the day after your billing cycle closes (not your due date). Most banks that I've researched need at least the close of 2 billing cycles before they do their initial report, then it's every month after (but check with your bank as always). Now when the bank reports your data, they report account status in an "OK", "30 days late", "60 days late", "Charged off", etc,,, fashion. They report your total credit and the balance of your card as of the close of your billing cycle (again, not your due date). ALWAYS call your new credit card bank and ask them when they close your billing cycle. If you pay it in full every month, then this is the date you want to do that by. Due date is only how they formulate interest folks. The bigger thing that people don't seem to understand on these forums are the huge fact that each month the bank reports your data, that current credit utilization replaces the last reported. Does that lower your score? Sure, but only during that exact time frame and nothing more. People think they have a "Score", you don't have a set in stone score, but before I cover that, know that the importance of having a low credit utilization is if you are expecting inquerries. So say you're planning on getting a mortgage or car loan (any loan). Prior to that you would want to be sure your credit utilization is at the lowest you can get it (on average you'll read people state 30% or less). Other than those times, don't sweat it so much. Still do be dilligent in paying your balance to the lowest possible you can by your billing cycle close date, but every 30 days, that data is replaced with the next data reported to the agencies. In the future this will most likely change so always check dates on these posts and always check with your bank. It's you that you need to protect.

Credit Scores:

A credit score doesn't exist until a request is performed. Ever sign up for a credit report, such as from myFico? Ever notice after just a few hours it will once again prompt you to "Get you new score now!!!"? Well, the fact of the matter is that the 3 credit bureaus have different software (people overuse the term algorithm but you probably at least read that somewhere). When an inquerry is sent to that credit bureaus, the software runs the numbers and spits out a score. This score can vary because many things. One main thing is even if you buy your score direct for Experian, Equifax or Transunion, you will get a consumer model and not the lender model. Example: model 98 we get from experian, but the lenders get model 04 (for 2004). Most auto apps have criteria that lenders can set. They can disregard certain things or focus more highly on others. This is one reason your "score" often varies, though mostly it's because we only get the model from before the current (at best). So your credit score is a calculation based on the data in your credit report. So when your credit is "pulled" and a score is requested, that score is calculated through the software, Beacon (software) for Equifax, FICO for Experian (not myFic0) and Empirica for Trans Union. Your credit report changes month to month, mostly by means of automated updates to your file from creditors who report to the bureaus. The differences reflected in that raw data causes changes in your score, but only when those calculations are performed in response to a request for a score.

Sorry for the long read, but if you're trying to better understand, then I'm trying to better help you do so. It pain me to think how long it took me to learn everything I just wrote. I hate how difficult it is to find facts in today's day and age especially. Facts are still facts even though they go ignored, but in this case, these facts cost me lots of money and tonos of grey hair. Hope I at least saved some of you the time and aggravation.

As mentioned long ago, I'll update this with a much shorter read when I have more Walmart specific information to share.

*Keep in mind, this is not a "forum" technically, so if you ask me a question I cannot reply  to you and must reply to my own post. Check back after a day or two and you should have a reply. Sadly Credit Karma doesn't tell you much on their "Recieve email Alerts".

Best of luck folks. Let's go into this new year more prepared I say.

Sep 24, 2015
Got approved on recon 9/23
Rmfor700 Cardholder

I applied back on 7/27 and got the dreaded 7-10 days. Within 72 hours received a denial letter via email. Reapplied yesterday and received another 7-10 day response but called for a recon. First customer service rep flat out told me you're denied and we don't recon. I called a different number and spoke to a gentleman that asked me a few questions such as my name, address, and what credit limit I was looking for. He then transferred me to another lady who asked me the same questions however she did not ask me what credit limit I was requesting.

She he asked me to provide my cell phone number so that I could receive a 4 digit security code. Phone call came right away and gave her the code. She approved me for $150.00

Reviews (286)

Jul 23, 2016
Not what you think.
Anonymous Cardholder

You pay faithfully on time every month and thell still take it away from you even if you drop the balance. Thell also pull your credit score without your permission even after you have had your card for a while. Horrible Customer service, sorry is there main response to faithful customers.

Jul 23, 2016
Absolutely recommend this card!
MasterMason2021 Cardholder

Love this card. Had a credit score in the low 600's and they approved me with $500 CL. Thank you Walmart!

One question for other reviewers, what is this love button I keep seeing people reference a lot? Maybe I'm slow or just missing it

Jul 16, 2016
Glad I got it!

I got approved with a 7 month old BK!! I have been denied several times in the past, so I was pretty pumped when I got a pretty high limit.

Jul 12, 2016
Got approved on recon !!!
movingfwrd Cardholder

I applied back on 7/1 and got the dreaded Your  Application is under review . Within 1hour I received a email asking me to call the cud Svc #.  I called the # and spoke with a gentleman that asked me a few questions such as my name, address, and telephone number. he asked me to provide my cell phone number so that I could receive a 4 digit security code. Text came right away and gave him the code. He then approved me for $200.00. That's fine with me. I'm trying to rebuild Tu 610/ Eqx 612.

Jul 05, 2016
Anonymous Cardholder

I got this card with a fico score of 640. They gave me a $600 credit limit which was great. My bank account was compromised and cleaned out which caused me to miss a payment and they shut the card down. So it's a great card to have but if you miss one payment they will not reopen your card!

Jul 03, 2016
Tastygalaxy Cardholder

My first credit card ever! I have the store card but I do not mind. I go to walmart every 2-3 months for essential things such as toilet paper, soap, etc. It's one of the easiest cards to obtain if you are looking to build your credit!

Jun 28, 2016
Anonymous Cardholder

Wal mart will close your account if you don't use your card or if your credit score drops!

Jul 05, 2016

That's standard practice across the board with any credit card. Use it or Lose it.

Jul 12, 2016

True, but not all cc's company's will close your account for score dropping good to know that walmart/sychrony bank is one of them.

Jul 14, 2016

Yes it is very true. Sychrony bank will lower your limit if your score drops. I had an Ikea card years ago that was backed by them and my limit was dropped drastically when my credit score drop. I do have a Walmart card. However I haven't experience that with this card and hopefully I don't.

Jun 21, 2016
Application Process Review

Applied online--apllication process was quick and easy with an instant approval page. Was approved for $900 credit line at APR 23% with credit score of 581 and little payment history (only two student loans with payment currently deferred).

Husband with 671/693 score was alloted $1300 and 23% for mastercard version.

Jun 21, 2016
Walmart Master Card reward card
Anonymous Cardholder

I am very disappointed with Walmart MasterCard customer service. This is one of the worst services I had in my life. The agents are extremely inpatient, abrupt, careless and not knowledgeable.

I was a victim of identity theft and there was a fraudulent account with Walmart on my name. I filed a complaint with police and investigation concluded that this account is indeed fraudulent and does not belong to me. Apparently Walmart employee did not perform the due diligence to check identity and this account was created without ID.

However, Walmart continues reporting to Equifax of this account as it belongs to me and I am unable to clear my history file. This has been going on for over three years now. Every month I spend countless hours on the phone to get nowhere.

Every time I request to speak to a supervisor I am being told the supervisor will be phoning back within 24 hours. But, 48 hours pass by and no phone call.

I am trying to buy a house and I am unable to get mortgage due to the bad credit history, only because Walmart does not care about their customers or about their potential customers.

They made my life miserable. And, I would like to spread the world to make sure nobody gets in my shoes. Please make sure you check your credit file often and don’t deal with Walmart MasterCard. It will be impossible to get any customer service from them.

Jun 18, 2016
babiegurl3576 Cardholder

I applied and was approved for store card witg 1200.00 limit. Everything was fine for first 2 wks, then all of a sudden card declined and my online login was no longer available. I called the only number i have, that you can NOT speak to someone with English as first language and was told there was a call forwarding program on my phone and until it was removed they could not help me. So after 3 hrs on the phone with cell company, there is no such thing on my phone. I called back to Walmart customer service and am now told unless I mail a copy of my driver's license Social Security card and a utility bill I will not be able to use this card but I am still to make payments. Now if you already verified the mailing address, social security number, birth date, mother's maiden name, and credit card number and when you call it says they have linked your phone number with your account then what the hell is going on at that bank. Now they called me with a code and I was able to verify it and they sent me numerous text messages with these codes and I was able to verify all of them and mind you I have used my credit card several times and have called and spoke to customer service three times prior to this without any issues. This Bank handles many accounts with different companies and they need better customer service. And it really worries me that I now need to send my social security number and driver's license because of something that is not verifiable.

Jul 17, 2016

This same thing happened to me today, I only have one freaking phone number I applied for with the card and they said it was not valid and I have to mail in documents! Its ridiculous and infuriating!!

Rate this card overall

The Wal-Mart Credit Card is offered by GE Money Bank for Wal-Mart customers. Credit card benefits may include online account management and cash promotions for approved applications. Online account access includes credit card statements, payments, request for credit limit increases, and email and phone alerts.

Established in 1962 in Rogers, Arkansas, Wal-Mart is a discount retailer that currently serves fifteen countries worldwide.Known for its motto “save money. live better”, Wal-Mart is recognized by its bright blue warehouse-like buildings and it's white logo. Products span an array of household items, automotive, food, and more. With its popularity, Wal-Mart has also been scrutinized for its business practices. Consumers are concerned about Wal-Mart’s lack of benefits for its employees, hiring practices, and the circumstances of small businesses driven out by Wal-Mart competition.

Walmart Credit Card