Question

Ilovetheswipe

When is it a good idea to apply for an American Express?
I REALLY want an American Express card; I have just begun building credit since July of 2013 and currently have three credit cards;

1. Capital One Secured MasterCard - 6 Months Old
2. Bank Americard Cash Rewards Platinum - Less than 1 Month Old
3. America Eagle Store Card - Less than 1 Month old

I will be closing the American Eagle store card this week because it was a HUGE mistake to open that card. Currently, my credit score stands at a 684, and no, I have never missed a payment (as a matter of fact I pay my balance off before it gets to my house because I am that good of a customer). My score is pretty low because of the hard inquiries that I have on my report and the fact that I just opened up two new cards. Anyhow, I would like to know what everyone thinks are the steps that I should take towards applying for an American Express? I'm completely in love with the platinum card because I want my next card to help me accumulate travel / airline points, but I suppose that I would settle for the blue sky preferred card. If anyone could give a young dude some pointers on what steps I should take (like what minimum score I should have before applying, or what minimum age of credit I should before I apply), that would be great and very much appreciated.