Student credit cards give young cardholders the opportunity to build credit. Although these cards are available to students who may have less credit history or experience, student-specific cards often have higher interest rates. To minimize costs and build credit, younger cardholders should use credit responsibly by paying in full each month, if possible. These are some of the most popular student credit cards from Credit Karma's partners.
- Earn 1% cash back on all purchases, plus a 25% bonus on the cash back you earn each month you pay on time, for a total of 1.25% cash back
- There’s no limit to the amount of cash back you can earn, and rewards don't expire
- Get access to a higher credit line after making your first 5 monthly payments on time
- Pay no annual or foreign transaction fees
- Fraud coverage if your card is lost or stolen
- Pick the monthly due date that works best for you
- No annual fee
- Cash back rewards
- Low credit limits
Journey® Student Rewards from Capital One® can help young consumers build credit and earn rewards.
What to Like
Cardholders earn 1% cash back on all purchases, plus a 25% bonus on earned cash back each month that the bill is paid on time. These rewards never expire, and there’s no annual or foreign transaction fees. Capital One® also provides email and text alerts and tools to help you learn about your credit.
Look Out For
Cash back is great! Just make sure to always stay within your budget when racking up those rewards. Based on your credit profile, you may also start off with a credit limit as low as $300, so it's important to watch your credit utilization.
Credit Score Approval Data ‡
|629||Average credit score approved for this card ‡||N/A||Typical Low credit score approved for this card ‡|
- Double all the cash back you've earned at the end of your first year automatically - only for new cardmembers*
- 5% cash back in categories that change each quarter like gas, restaurants, Amazon.com and more-up to the quarterly maximum when you sign up.* 1% cash back on all other purchases.
- No annual fee. No overlimit fee. No foreign transaction fee. No late fee on first late payment & paying late won't raise your APR.*
- Free FICO® Credit Score on statements, online & by mobile app.* 100% U.S.-based service any time. Text alerts when payment is due & a free mobile app to stay on top of your account.
- New Freeze ItSM on/off switch lets you prevent new purchases, cash advances & balance transfers on misplaced cards in seconds by mobile app & online.*
- Each Discover purchase is monitored. If it's unusual, you're alerted by e-mail, phone or text-and never responsible for unauthorized purchases on your Discover card
- 0% intro APR* on purchases for 6 months, then the standard variable purchase APR of 12.99% - 21.99%.
- *See rates, rewards, free FICO® Credit Score terms & other info by clicking “Apply.”
- No annual fee
- 0% intro APR on purchases for 6 months
- 10.99% Intro APR on balance transfers
The Discover it® for Students - Double Cash Back your first year is a fantastic rewards card designed for younger consumers. Cardholders enjoy 5% cash back on up to $1,500 in purchases in categories that rotate quarterly, including gas, groceries, restaurants and department stores.
On top of the cash back rewards, this card also offers 0% introductory APR for six months on purchases. After the introductory period ends the variable APR ranges from 12.99% - 21.99%.
With no annual fee and helpful online tools to help track your account, the Discover it® for Students - Double Cash Back your first year is a smart choice for consumers looking to earn rewards while building good credit history.
Credit Score Approval Data ‡
|640||Average credit score approved for this card ‡||526||Typical Low credit score approved for this card ‡|
* See the online Provider's credit card application for details about terms and conditions. Reasonable efforts are made to maintain accurate information. However all credit card information is presented without warranty. When you click on the "Apply Now" button, you can review the credit card terms and conditions on the provider's website.
† Credit Karma estimates your Approval Odds by comparing your credit profile with data about other members who were approved for this product. Though Approval Odds do not guarantee approval, they can show you which products may be a better fit for you.