How to talk to the Barclays reconsideration line?
So I applied for a Barclays Arrival Mastercard last night, mainly because I wanted a card that let me have travel points. Also because I have an apple rewards Visa with Barclays already since they didn't have an "upgrade" they told me I'd have to reapply.

Today I called the reconsideration line, after reading everything on the internet that Barclays is wishy washy and to ALWAYS call that line. I didn't know what to expect since this was my first time ever doing this. They told me it was denied and told me they would review it for approval they just had a few questions.

Well she began asking questions about an old Wells Fargo card that was closed several years ago. She asked why it was charged off, the truthful anwser would be delinquency, 60 days to be exact. I was 20 and stupid to put it mildly. So of course it completely threw me off card because it was charged off a couple years ago and I had forgotten about it, because I paid it off immediately when Wells Fargo canceled it. I didn't know how to anwser her, I just told her the truth was I had a lot going on and I forgot to pay it. Which wasn't the greatest answser.

Then she asked me about a Macy's and capital one card I had. The Macy's card has (had) a high balance on it, however a check was mailed to them on 2/3 (a few days ago) to pay it off in full, which I made the credit analyst aware of but she didn't seem to care. A payment was also sent to capital one in full as well but I didn't mention that to her.

She then asked me what I had used these cards for and I told her the truth, Capital One for every day purchases and Macy's was for a Christmas gifts (I don't use it otherwise).

Then she went on to ask me how much I thought I spent on my credit cards each month and I had NO idea how to anwser that either. I could never come up with an amount of how much I spend, I just know I don't spend that much.

So in a nutshell I obviously I didn't handle this situation well at all.
I am mainly trying to rebuild my credit (from the wells fargo thing). I didn't tell her this but I of course don't plan on using the Barclays card every day, just for big purchases, hence plane tickets, etc.

My credit score is average I have other cards, utilization below 30%, like I said the Macys card will be paid off when they get the check in the mail in a couple of days and I've already paid the capital one card off. I have a navy fed card with 6,000 limit no balance. I have a discover card 1500 limit with a $400 bal and I have a barclays apple rewards card with no balance and 1200 limit.

She ended up telling me that the final decision rested in my balances on Macys and Capital one being too high and she told me to try again (sometime within the next 3 months) when they were lower.

So what do I do? Do I try again after those cards have been paid off and the payments have posted in a couple of days or should I just consider this a loss and an unfortunate ding on my credit score for a hard inquiry?

And my last question, how on earth do I anwser their questions about the wells fargo card closing and what I spend my money on and how much I pay on my credit cards each month? Does anyone have a good response for that? How do I handle any of their questions?