Service CU Reviews
Jun 03, 2017
fees and limited money access
armyguy70

As a NH resident where they are from and military member, I thought I'd give them a try a few years ago. I also have USAA accounts and my only real complaint with them was the lack of local branches, hence the trial run. After starting a basic account I quickly found that their rates were always significantly worse than USAA (and my other accounts wit Citizens and TD bank). In one case they turned me down for a car loan when I have very good credit and every other bank not only approved me, but with excellent rates. So, experiment ended, I soon closed the account and moved on. Now, a few years later upon a PCS to Germany I decide to give them another try since they have branches in country. So far I have found that they nickel and dime you with fees for every service, consistently have the worse Euro conversion rates, even though they are staffed by Americans, take both German and US holidays off, have no where near the convenient hours that they have stateside, and on top of it all limit your access to money like you are in a 3rd world country. With weekly spending limits on their VPAY card (only 1k Euro per week!) taht they charge you for and per day branch limits of 3000Euro, which makes it pretty darn hard to do things like buy a car, furniture, or pay deposits on housing without the hassles, lead times, and additional fees of doing wire transfers, they are neither a bargain nor a convenience. By far the worst credit union - which supposedly at least nominally have they customers/owners best interests in mind.