Question

Wolfie35

Should I pay credit cards in full before the statement date, therefore always have a zero balance?
Once recommended by Clark Howard (consumer expert). My credit score is 835, so I believe it's helping by always doing this. But does it then show that I have used the card and paid it off in full?

Yes

I'm from the other side.   Always Pay off your Balance as soon as you can.

* Keeps your Utilization  Low or at 0.
* You still Get your Payment History regardless.

A Second NO!!

Always let one card report a small balance, if not you will be penalized for not showing revolving activity. It doesn't sound like Mr.Howard knows much about credit if he is advising to do this.

NO!

Wait until the bill arrives, then pay what the total amount due is as shown on the bill.  That will show good usage and a good payment history, which helps the score.

A Second NO!!!

Always let one card report a small balance each month, if not you will be penalized for not having any revolving activity.

nh19926

I am no expert,  but I pay mine off in full each month and my score 1 year later is now 727 (after going down 5 points) regarding a home loan, and I have a bankruptcy..... 

My report shows revovling credit history with a zero balance..... even when paying it in full.

icuhowie

How is one being Penalized for not having any revolving activity?

@icuhowie, I am speaking of FICO and not any type of non-fico scoring system. I urge you to do some reading about FICO scoring to learn more about how FICO scores are determined.