This offer is no longer available on our site: Chase Sapphire Reserve®
The ongoing benefits of the Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card may end up paying for the card’s $395 annual fee by themselves.
The card’s benefits are worth an estimated $1,089 per year as of May 2022, according to Credit Karma’s Total Benefit Value. This makes it one of the most valuable premium rewards card in our rankings.
While other cards provide more potential value, the beauty of the Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card is its straightforwardness. This card doesn’t require a lot of strategizing — the benefits are easy to use and flexible enough for most travelers.
- The 3 most valuable Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card benefits
- More Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card benefits
- Is the Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card worth the annual fee?
- Alternatives to the Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card
The 3 most valuable Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card benefits
Annual travel credit: $300
The Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card features a $300 annual travel credit. You can use the travel credit to pay for flights, hotels and rental cars booked directly through Capital One Travel.
The ability to use this credit on common travel purchases gives cardholders both straightforward value and the confidence to know they’re likely to use it every year. And the full credit goes a long way towards covering the card’s annual fee on its own.
10,000 anniversary bonus miles: $108
The Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card also gives you 10,000 bonus miles each year to celebrate your account renewal. The best part? There’s no spending requirement to earn this anniversary bonus — all you have to do is keep the card open.
We estimate the anniversary bonus could be worth $108 when transferred to one of Capital One’s travel transfer partners, based on Credit Karma’s point valuations. Of course, if you prefer to take the simpler approach and redeem it directly through Capital One Travel, it could still be worth a decent $100.
Airport lounge access: $591
The Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card also grants you access to multiple airport lounge networks to enjoy while you wait for your flights.
This includes complimentary access to the issuer’s Capital One Lounges, which would otherwise cost $65 per visit. But keep in mind that there are currently only a handful of Capital One Lounges currently open in U.S. airports.
You’ll also receive a complimentary Priority Pass Select membership, which can get you into more than 1,300 airport lounges around the world.
As with any benefit, it’s important to keep in mind that airport lounge access is only worth something if you plan to use it. If you usually show up at the airport at the last possible moment before your flight, you might not get much value here.
More Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card benefits
The Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card offers a handful of other benefits that might interest you.
- Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® application fee statement credit: $25 — Like with some other travel cards, you’ll have your application fee covered when you use your card to apply for one of these expedited airport security programs, up to $100 every four years. This benefit isn’t exclusive or particularly noteworthy for a high-end travel card, but it’s another way to get simple value from your card membership, breaking down to an annual $25.
- Cellphone protection — When you pay your monthly cellphone bill with your card, Capital One provides coverage of up to $800 if your phone is stolen or damaged. We don’t include that $800 limit in our Total Benefit Value calculations, but it’s a useful benefit if you ever happen to need it.
- Hertz President’s Circle® status — Not everyone needs to rent a car, but this status can help you get car upgrades and other amenities when you rent with Hertz.
- No foreign transactions fees — We consider this feature a must-have for any travel card, no matter the annual fee.
Is the Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card worth the annual fee?
Believe it or not, the Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card’s $395 annual fee is relatively affordable for a premium rewards card. Better yet, the card’s straightforward benefits make it easy to determine if you’ll get your money’s worth.
With access to $1,089 in recurring credits and benefits that are flexible and easy to use, the Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card can pay for itself — given you make use of them each year.
For that matter, the card is likely to be worth the annual fee even if you don’t use airport lounge access and other potentially valuable benefits. As long as you book one trip through Capital One Travel, the $300 annual travel credit and 10,000 card anniversary bonus miles can provide at least $400 in value every year.
If you’re interested in getting a taste of what premium rewards cards are all about but don’t want to shell out for an expensive annual fee that might not be so easy to cover, the Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card might be a strong choice.
Alternatives to the Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card
If Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card isn’t for you, here are a few more cards that might be a better fit.
- Chase Sapphire Reserve®: This card comes with a more flexible annual travel credit and numerous partner benefits.
- Platinum Card® from American Express: If you don’t mind putting in a little effort, this card is loaded with benefits and perks to choose from.
- American Express® Gold Card: This card features a few travel benefits, but its best value comes from its dining and delivery credits.
- Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card: You won’t get the same wealth of benefits, but the straightforward rewards make it one of our favorite entry-level travel cards.