Question

mollybloom

How can I get a copy of a credit card I opened years ago and never used?
I went on a credit card spree during my freshman year of college, where they give out free t-shirts if you apply for a card (*sigh*). I managed to close all the accounts before the cards arrived in the mail, and don't see any of them on my credit report... except for one. There is a Citi card in good standing, though never used, that has been open since 2001. It's an $800 limit, which I think will be perfect to help me rebuild my credit without opening a new card, but when I called Citi to ask about getting a replacement card, they seem to have no record of me. Has anyone else encountered this problem? The customer service agent recommended I write a letter to the address listed on my credit report, but I wouldn't even know what to say to them... I don't want them to remove the account, since it establishes a long credit history, even though I haven't been using it.