Question

MsScorpio11

Do any student cards have a security chip in them?
I am looking for a card to begin and build a credit history with a security chip that can be used when traveling abroad. I am a student with no previous history. I have been looking into the Capital One Journey Student Rewards card, any thoughts?

Consider Discover-IT Student Cards

I am in the same boat as you, a student who is planning to study abroad with the year and was looking for a good card with NO annual fee and NO foreign transaction fee as well as Chip-and-PIN.  The best card for meeting these criteria is the Discover-IT card, which has two variations for students, Discover-IT for Students and Discover-IT Chrome for Students.  The primary difference being that the first has the 5% back for quarterly rotating categories and the second has 2% back on gas and restaurants each quarter.  

I actually ended up getting the Sallie Mae Mastercard because it is perfect for my personal spending habits, and I am going to be an authorized user on a family member's Discover-IT card, so I will use that card when I travel abroad as it has a security chip and no foreign transaction fee. 

Here is a good site that compares the Journey and Discover Student cards:

http://www.mybanktracker.com/news/discover-it-for-students-vs-journey-student-rewards-credit-card-compared

Also I suggest using CreditKarma's Comparison tool!  You can go to Credit Cards, then find both cards and check the box "save to my cards" and then you'll be able to do a side-by-side comparison of them. 

And finally, a couple of things I found out in my own research:  

(1)  I found a lot of people online in several different forum sites posting that they are students and have decent credit scores and were REJECTED for Discover Student cards.  CreditKarma shows my approval odds as "FAIR" for the Discover-IT Student card which made me very nervous to apply, at the risk of being denied and having my credit score drop due to a hard inquiry.  I found almost nothing but positive posts about being approved for the Journey card.  

(2) Although Capital One has said it will be implementing Chip-and-PIN, it hasn't happened yet for the Journey card from I have read, and Discover is in the process of updating their cards.  I am still a little confused myself on which cards exactly have Chip-and-PIN or EMV and Chip-and-Signature, from again, from what I've read Discover cards do have a chip right now, and capital one cards do not. 

Good Luck!!