Credit Card utilization question
Hello all, thanks to various tips found on credit karma, I have improved my credit score from 595 to 730 in just 4 months.

My question now has to do with credit card utilization percentage. I always keep my % under 30 for each card. However, I want to transfer my balance from one card to my new card that has 0% interest for the first 12 billing cycles. This will put me over the 30% utilization on THAT ONE card, while the other one will drop to zero. So what I need to know is, is your credit card utilization % based off the total amount of credit available on all your cards, or is it on a card by card basis?

Just to clarify if its still confusing. I have 2 cards.

Card A: $3000 limit $900 (30%) currently utilized.
Card B: $3300 limit $900 (27%)currently utilized.
Total Credit: $6300 limit $1800 (27%) currently utilized

So if I transfer from card A to card B, card A will have a 54% utilization rate, but my TOTAL utilization between the two card will not have changed.

Thanks in advance for any help, I realize this is a tad bit confusing.

Most Helpful Response

Yeah, the 'rule' is stay under 30%, but if you don't plan on buying a car or house in the next year or two, then you shouldn't worry about it. You will be saving money instead.

P.S. 30% keeps your score good, but 10% keeps your score excellent.

Thanks for the response. I am indeed planning on buying a house in the next 6 months, so I didnt want to take any chances on lowering my score.

Im still unclear whether the utlization % calculated into your credit score looks at your OVERALL credit limit to outstanding balance percentage, or if you have ANY card over 30% it looks bad.

Potential scenario: You have a $10k balance card, and a $100 balance card.

You have $0 on the 10k card, and $70 on the $100 card. Thats 70% utilization on the $100 card, so it looks bad, but your OVERALL credit limit is $10,100 with the two combined, and your utilization rate is .007%. Catch my drift?

Great Question. Looking for Answers.

I am wondering about the same thing.  It would be great to get an answer to whether it will effect anything if one had more utilization than the other?

low sore

my score went down after i payedoff my ards ???