Question

km4847

Should I pay down a higher balance card or almost pay off lower balance card?
For the sake of the question I will use hypothetical numbers. I have $1000 to use towards a credit card payment. One card I have has a balance of $2400, and another card has a balance of $1200, and another with a balance in-between. Would it be smarter to pay down the highest card and continue to have 3 payments but all not close to their maximum limit? Or should I payoff the lowest balance and then have 2 payments but one card close to its limit?