Question

kempa86

Close my store credit card?
I have a store credit card that will be paid off this week. Is it best to close it or keep it open and have the credit comapny close it due to inactivity? I will not be using it again in the future. I have heard either way can both help and hurt a credit score.

Most Helpful Response

Don't close it!  If this is a good account (i.e. no late payments) then the history is helping your credit score.  Just use it once a year for a small purchase, pay it off.  That will keep it alive and it will continue to help your credit score.  To learn more about how your credit score is calculated, visit www.myfico.com.  Best of luck!

kempa86

Thank you for the information! My only problem is that I will not use this card again. It was for a sleep number store and I will not be making anymore purchases there. I understand making a small purchase, but this is not a store I am able to do that. Would it be better to keep it open for the history and let the credit company close it due to inactivity?

Close Dept store card no longer in my ar

I have a small limit department credit card that the store closed down and no longer in my area. So I haven't used it in at least 2 years or longer, in fact, in my report, I was late paying 2 notes and it's on my report from a little longer than 2 years ago. I have good credit but it was always based on 8 credit cards, no other type of credit. I just received a 36K car loan, so by closing this small card that I can't use anymore, would it greatly effect my score?