Can a creditor (that has a judgement against me) take the $ that are used to fund a secured card?
A creditor obtained a judgement against me in the summer of 2006. I was a lot younger then and was piling up credit card debt without thinking of the consequences. Now I am trying to establish a credit history and use my credit responsibly. Problem is that I am having a super hard time getting approved for anything ! So far the only credit I was able to obtain is from Fingerhut ( i am not complaining , its a start ! ) After doing some research I decided to go with Cap. One secured card. My question is this : Can a creditor that obtained a judgement against me freeze or take the money that was used to open up a secured card ? Also , do you think its a good idea to contact the creditor (or whoever is in charge of collecting) and try to negotiate with them ? If they didnt have a judgement i wouldnt even care as much , but in NY the statue of limitations is 20 years and i cant even open up a bank account without them freezing it ! Any suggestions ? Thank you !