When are credit card issuers more likely to increase credit limits?
There is some worry that asking for a credit-limit increase will create a new hard inquiry. However, I'm wondering if "asking" for an increase is even necessary.

Years ago, in October or November (ie., just before the Christmas shopping season), a number of credit card issuers would "voluntarily" increase a credit limit on accounts that had never been increased before. And since this was a "voluntary" act on the part of the card issuers themselves (as opposed to a customer "request"), I assume these increases did NOT generate hard inquiries.

FWIW, one of my cards increased my credit limit by $500 only 4 months after the card was issued ... and I'm assuming no hard inquiry took place.

So, I'm curious whether credit card issuers still do this ... and if there are certain times during the year (like just before Christmas) when it's more likely to see this happen? Or, are these voluntary increases dependent on the issuers themselves and more related to the age of the account?

Would love to hear any input on this.