Question

PDXKMK

Should I ask for an increase on a just-opened card that I want to transfer a balance to?

Most Helpful Response

All you can do is ask, but be aware that they may do another hard inquiry on your report, ask them to be sure. Once again, you will never know the answer if you don't ask them.

Depends whom is the credit crantor. Capital One is usually pretty good with this. Its 50/50 if they will grant an increase BUT its always a SP. I was just approved for another Capital One card today, and the limit was only $500...rather than use the automated system for a credit line increase, I called and spoke with a person. After a brief time on hold she returned and say congratulations...we've increase your starting limit to $2800. Again for me an odd number but much better. My point being sometimes its better to take what they give you and other times, simply ask. You will know the difference when you rsearch the credit grantor and learn whether they do a HP or a SP, and if they are most likely to grant your request or deny it. If you have had issues getting approved for credit in the not so distant past, be happy, maybe celebrate a lil and just simply earn your next CLI through demonstrating a strong and positive use of the credit you have been approved for. STAY under 20% usage of your total limit...even if your limit is low like $300... and pay the balance off as soon as the statement comes....if you can ALWAYS pay more than the minimum and it will happen, you will get that CLI. Hope this helps.

I'd Wait

Most credit cards will not approve a credit limit increase until the account has been opened for a few months. The ones I have deal with usual will not approve until atleast the 6 months mark and then its another hard pull on your report.

Certain banks won't

Nationwide Bank doesn't give credit increases upon request. This was the information I recieved after requesting one.