Question

Steelersfan84

Question about credit card reporting dates and utilization?
Hi to all. I am still relatively new to using credit cards, but I do know enough to stay out of trouble. lol

My question is concerning credit card company report dates to bureaus and utilization.

Let's say I have a new card for $1,000 limit. Okay, I charge something for $300 on July 10th and the due date is August 20th and the statement closing date is August 15th.

I already know that in order to avoid interest I would have to pay the full $300 BEFORE August 20th. However, will the card companies report the balance AFTER the statement closing date or would they report it as soon as the charges post to my account, say, July 12th?

If that's the case, in order to at least have some of the balance reporting, would I pay, say, $200 before August 15th and then the other $100 before August 20th so that I would have 10% or less utilization reporting? This is so confusing until my head is hurting. The purpose of this is to maximize my credit scores because, from what I have read, paying off in full at the wrong time will cause companies to report a zero balance. I'm just trying to let them report an under 10% balance. And if you don't mind, could you use your own due date, statement date, and method as an example for a newbie? Thanks!