Question

LVP08

Is it better to have 2 credit cards from the same company or a different one?
I am looking to spread out my credit utlization. I currently have a Chase freedom card as my primary card. It has the highest limit by quite a bit and the highest balance. I originally opened a Discover card strictly for the 0% balance transfer and have taken advantage of transferring/paying down balances there twice. I was debating getting another 0% balance transfer card to do the same thing and spread out my individual credit utilization. The most common cards that fit what I am looking for are by Chase and Discover. Since chase gave me a significantly higher credit line than Discover I was leaning towards applying there. Would I likely get a better (higher credit line) offer going with someone that I don't already have credit with like Bank of America, or does that not matter?

What you are thinking may make sense. One company may want to limit liability by not extending too much credit to one customer. I just can't give advice on this one way or another because I am not sure, but going with a different company does sound sensible.

I guess it depends on your history and the company. I'll use my own example, I had a Citi card with an $9,000 limit for a few years and then I opened a second Citi card to take advantage of a promo offer. Initially, the second card only came with a $6,000 limit, but after I called to ask about the lower limit they "matched" the other card, bumping it up to $9,000 as well.

So basically, the second card was a lower limit, but I was able to get it increased. Funny enough, a few months after that, they randomly increased my original card to $11,000 out of nowhere (I didn't request it).

I don't think Chase is as generous though - I have cards from 6 other companies and my Chase card is my lowest limit for some reason ($2,000 lower than any of my other cards), so I don't know if you'd be able to do the same with them. If they have a card that fits your needs and you can't find a similar deal anywhere else, then I guess I'd try it. But if you can find something similar elsewhere (you mentioned Bank of America), then I'd probably do that instead.