Question

Snickerdoodles2016

I received a credit card I don't what - what should I do?
I'm rebuilding my credit, and have finally reached the "good" range. I'm getting all kinds of pre-approved offers in the mail, but am very careful to read the terms on each. I do want to get a second bank card, but discard most offers because they charge a steep fee to get them, and some even have a monthly fee.

I did want a Capital One card, and sent back the application I received. I didn't hear back from them, but the other day got a card from a place called CreditOne, which has a logo very similar to Capital One's. I don't know if the card was sent unsolicited, or if I didn't give the application a close enough look and mistakenly thought it was CapitalOne, but I don't want it. Not only is there a high annual fee, but they start charging interest from the moment you make a purchase! I pay off my cards in full every month to avoid paying interest, unless there's a special no-interest promotion if you pay off your balance within a certain time period, so this card is of no interest to me.

Should I just discard it, call the company and say I don't want it, or cut it up and return it to them with a letter telling them to cancel it?

Thanks for your help.

Most Helpful Response

Did you actually apply for Credit One card? I am confused, you received a card you didn't apply for or you applied for a wrong card? The latter doesn't quite go hand in hand with "...but am very careful to read the term on each..."... If Credit One card was actually opened? Then you need to decide if you want to keep it or not, if you don't want it, then call and close it, being Credit One? You need to make absolutely certain that it's closed, get confirmation in writing and following up to double check if it's indeed closed, make sure you do NOT have any balance on that card. Regardless the scoring effect on closing it, I personally wouldn't think twice before close it... Again, did you received the actually live credit card or just some card for advertising purpose, which can look real.

That isn't a real card. It's marketing. It's a fake/dummy card with an application attached to it. I've received many of those.