I have a large limit that I want, but it is on a card a do not want
I currently have 3 open credit cards. One is a Kay jewelers card with a zero balance and $7600 limit (4 years old). The next is a MasterCard with a zero balance and a $2500 limit (3 years old); and the last is a Visa with a $3400 limit and is basically maxed out (1.5 years old). Ideally, I would like to cancel my Kay card to free up some of that money, open a new card, and transfer the $3500 balance to it. I would imagine that just cancelling the Kay card would not automatically mean I would be approved for that amount through a major creditor, and that is my oldest card so I don't know if it would hurt more than help. I would almost be willing to take a small hit to my score just to be able to transfer the $3500 to a card with 0% interest on transfers, which would allow me to pay it off sooner and hopefully gain back whatever hit I would take. Another obvious reason to close the Kay card is that I can only use it on jewelry. They do report to the credit bureaus and it does help my low utilization percentage, I am jut not sure it is worth it.