Question

lotus1922

How to convert secured card without closing account?
Three years ago I got my first credit card ($500 secured) from the credit union I've belonged to for ten years now. About 16 months after having that card with perfect history, I was able to get a Discover and American Express. After establishing perfect history with both of those cards, I've since tried multiple times to get the CU to convert my secured card to an unsecured. They tell me that they're not able to convert it without closing the account, which I'm hesitant to do because I don't want to lose that history on my credit report.

I find that hard to believe because I know other banks will convert secured to unsecured either automatically after a certain period of good history, or at customer request--- and that it can be done while keeping the same account. Amex was able to upgrade me to their next highest card (at my request) which was a different product, while keeping the same account. So is it true that some banks can't convert their cards without closing the account and opening a new one? And if that IS the case, is holding on to that account history worth keeping $500 tied up in a card I only use once every 3-4 months anymore?

Thanks for any help you can provide.